New Linn Ekstatik and Radikal

My Radikal was from the start of this year and have since upgraded the RCA to Sarum T and then a Keel upgrade so very happy.

I have no desire to go any further on the digital side with my NDS so just need to decide if I need to push the LP12 any further or if this make’s financial sense to do it now rather then later.

Yes i’m with you just moved to Keel so would be if yes some time in 2022, but I have planned to move to TA Audio Stileto first

2 Likes

Whilst I am interested in both of these new Linn products I am holding off all Linn upgrades until I have heard Naim’s Solstice with my Superline/SupercapDR.

I would also be interested in hearing the Solstice with my Kandid and also the new Linn cartridge.

So I could imagine a Naim/Linn set up with a new Naim Solstice TT and arm with an existing Naim Superline/Supercap but with a Linn cartridge.

Although, who knows until I hear these things, I may just stay as I am!!!

Richard

2 Likes

Where did you see the upgrade prices? I wonder if there are different prices for A-Rad and K-Rad?

1 Like

I have also heard of £1,750 for the Radikal upgrade from my dealer.

HI @Clive I got my price from Peter @Cymbiosis I have the Akruate Radikal

having heard the Kilmax one recently that may well chance, but keen to hear on demo I think Peter said he was getting stock this Friday, may be Peter can confirm the upgrade price on both

2 Likes

Will they finally have solved the infamous Radikal / Trampolin problem?

M.

Thanks. I suppose the price of upgrade ought to be the same since the electronics are identical between Akurate and Klimax Radikals.

Without wishing to offend the Mods… The price is the same as the components are the same. It’s the box/enclosure that makes the difference to SQ between the two.
However, anyone wishing to make the change must order it as it will not be an off the peg item I suspect as Glasgow require the retailer to fill in a form which requests serial No and whether the PS is Dynamic or not. The client email and name is also requested FYI
KR

Peter

5 Likes

The Ektsortionate maybe.

Upgraded my Lingo last year to cheapo box Radikal.

You always get the sense of playing catch up with Linn these days, though more like bad timing perhaps.

I’ve not experienced a Klimax yet. That sounds more exciting than being Ekstatik. Not the best name out of their stables.

Naim better get the upgrades for the Solstice ready ASAP! :grinning: #itswar

1 Like

Without wishing to offend…Linn audio, 2k euros for a different enclosure, even if better, is shocking.

:grin:

2 Likes

The wisdom is that it’s well worth it though.

I am sure. But as inside nothing was changed, I find it very expensive only for an enclosure.
It was the same for the Keel….

Possibly a good analogy but inside out!

Don’t buy one then.

1 Like

I have done the comparation very recently - the difference between the 2 is quiet marked to be honest

I have Akurate Rad - now Mk1, so demo vs Kilmax radikal Mk1 - the Akurate was superb and the music followed with ease, put the Kilmax own the whole soundstage opended out and was lifted to another level - just more music

Akruate is a class act, Kilmax is top of the class with prefect badge

and as for Keel …musical perfection, I move from Kore - just wish I done it sooner it’s Epic

I am looking forward to hearing the new units

4 Likes

You may be right but think, for instance, what you get swapping an integrated (i.e. XS/SN) vs. separates.
Other than what’s inside and outside(PSUs) there’s a further case which is part of the recipe.

1 Like

I’m fairly well known as a Linn Skeptic - but alas I can confirm that the Radikal case makes a really really big difference. It justifies the price difference in my view - although obviously we all have views on the manufacturing cost of the Klimax boxes vs the price

I don’t think Linn have ever acknowledged the difference being anything other than visual mind you - which is very Linn - but those with ears know.

As for these upgrades - well - all aboard the Glasgow gravy train - pack your LP12s up and carefully transport them for some time in dry dock - and then (of course) do the same again for the 50th anniversary upgrades just around the corner but being held back for then… Sigh…

It remains an enclosure. I don’t deny it sounds better. If I were a Linn fan, I would like to upgrade of course.
The keel improved notably the Lp12. But it’s a piece of metal. It’s the same. 3k euros for it is enormous.