New Linn Ekstatik and Radikal

Please note that dealers are heavily restricted in what they can post re. non-Naim products here. I have traditionally allowed a little leeway with the LP12, but to be fair here I think if you wish to ask a Linn dealer more questions about these products then best contact them directly. Thanks.

1 Like

I think is all about perception. There are no power supply upgrade boxes to add to almost every single piece of equipment, unlike Naim. There is also the argument that if Naim followed the Linn route with the 272, for example, it would have been upgradable with the new streaming board and remained current and relevant. Instead it becomes something of an oddball where second hand values plumet, nobody would buy new and no replacement in sight. Its just horses for courses.

8 Likes

Of course thereā€™s no obligation to jump on the gravy train. Does my LP12 sound worse than it did for not having the Karousel? No. Will I upgrade? Maybe. But for now Iā€™m perfectly happy with what I have and my money can be put to better use elsewhere.

10 Likes

Itā€™s a modular design and you cannot blame them to charge you what you think itā€™s not worth paying.
If they think it would take it to the next level.
On the other hand you may get a complete and better design from another make and be charged those 3kĀ£ more then the lesser package to get to that next level.
As always comparisons between levels are a must

1 Like

Just wait until you see the upgrades Naim have in store for the Solsticeā€¦

2 Likes

You know it! :joy::joy::joy:

And youā€™ll be all over it! :wink:

Linn, Naim - itā€™s all the same game! :smiley:

1 Like

No indeed - never an obligation - but many of us like to remain current, and I do think the Linn approach of annual income bumps works very well for their finance director :relieved::joy:

1 Like

I can neither confirm or deny that Iā€™ll be all over the very first upgrade that Naim release!

In all seriousness - they are all in the same game of course - itā€™s just the frequency that changes. Linnā€™s FD will have a nice 10 year plan with healthy bumps on it and thatā€™s just for the LP12 business line - Naims FD will have one too, but I suspect his has far fewer bumps on itā€¦when was DR? ā€¦.8 years ago?

1 Like

In my experience upgrade options on a deck are to be encouraged but not necessarily better. I imagine that upgrade options will be developed by Naim, as well as 3rd parties, for the Solstice but it will be interesting to see if Naim are as open to this as Linn.

I also imagine that Naim will have a few tweaks to iron out any manufacturing and set up issues after their first batch of 500.

I have been an LP12 owner since the 80ā€™s and over the years it has evolved with various Linn upgrades but with only one third party product (a counter weight). I never really took to their Eureka phono and preferred the Superlineā€™s more ā€˜organicā€™ and engaging sound to me.

My expectation, and yes this is an expectation bias issue, is that the Solstice will deliver music more along the lines of what I like from the Superline; that Linnā€™s new cartridge will hopefully build on the superb Kandid (best cartridge I have ever owned) and I hope they will not make it sound like or tune it match/optimise for a Eurika digital presentation. If you get my drift.

My expectation is that the new Radikal will improve further on the already wonderful existing one.

My further expectation is that the Solstice and updated LP12 will both sound great but different and maybe the Solstice will give me more of what I like from my Superline sound.

I may be totally wrong but I am keen to find out.

Richard

1 Like

My personal view is that I like the upgrades on the LP12. Itā€™s not a dead end product. Will I be buying the new bits? Probably not as my Linn is already high spec. I would probably need a pre amp upgrade first to get the full benefit and that is not going to happen. Well done Linn though, I bet the new top deck sounds great!

5 Likes

I think Iā€™m a little frustrated with the LP12, not because upgrades are available, more perhaps because I think my plinth looks tired and worn. I know thatā€™s fixable, but equally Iā€™d almost be tempted to get a new basic LP12 and get the enhancemnets fitted from my old one. Probably the wrong way of doing it.

I actually think both the Klimax LP12 and Solstice make a lot of sense as ā€˜outright purchasesā€™ if I was approaching things afresh, but naturally itā€™s a big outlay.

3 Likes

The advantage of Linns approach is that you have the choice to do either. Given some of the special 3rd part plinths available I would be tempted to investigate those first. Nice problem to have Alley Cat.

3 Likes

Iā€™d start off with a Harban plinth, add your bits and buy any current upgrades.

2 Likes

Unfortunately I have heard that Chris has stopped making LP12 plinths and is focusing exclusively on Garrard.
Do not quote me on this.

Best
Gregg

1 Like

It seems Simon Price has stepped up to manufacture top end LP12 plinths.

1 Like

Simon price has taken the lead on LP12 plinths, and Harban has stopped building lp12 plinths and focusing on Garrard. The Indian Roaewood by Simon P which a forum member has posted pictures is beautiful. He has more in process. But Cymbiosis has plenty of plinths in stock to choose from, all types, stock Linn and maybe some Simon P.

S

1 Like

I was told the same. Not sure why though. More money in other decks perhaps?

1 Like

I have not spoken with Chris in ages - an extremely nice guy!
He has been making LP12 plinths for so many years that perhaps he was ready for a change. I think I bought my first plinth from him (one of two) some 15 years ago.

Best
Gregg

1 Like

Time flies. I never bought one in the end but recall they were about 400 quid when he started out!