New Linn Ekstatik and Radikal

Possibly. The higher end plinths were $1000. Lower were the $750 range. I owned one at one time, went back to Linn stock walnut. He also has other work I believe, so you have to pick your products that generate revenue and efficiency.

S

There may still be Harban plinths around. I have never seen a finish on any piece of wood as good Chris’s. It’s for the connoisseur who appreciates the finest.

2 Likes

Simon Price plinth in high gloss Indian Rosewood……

25 Likes

Has anyone auditioned or purchased the “booplinth” as this does look like an interesting alternative approach, it being a one piece machined bamboo plinth.

My CH plinth purchased many moons ago. This one replaced a previous CH plinth I had which matched the Tineo wood of my Kudos Titan T88 speakers. I always had a thing for curly Maple.

This plinth was one of Chris’s “rejects” and was destined to be spray coated. There are two knots in the wood - one man’s “defect” is another man’s “character”. Thank god I convinced him to let me rescue it!

Best
Gregg

22 Likes

Beautiful plinth Gregg :heart_eyes: I 'm always amazed at all of the characterization in that sample of maple, just gorgeous.

Thanks Mark. I owe you an email.
How is the new toy doing?

Sounds like we need to add a Radikal and Ekstatik to our list in addition to the Karousel.
We will be keeping Mr. Swain busy :laughing:

Best
Gregg

1 Like

New toy…well, let’s just say that I am optimistic …
Just installed a Lyra Etna SL Lambda and i’m afraid that thew Ekstatik will have to be very, very good to make the swap make any sense. The other bits will inevitably make their way into my plinth though :grinning:
Good luck in your headphone journey- looks like it is getting pretty serious!
ATB,
Mark

1 Like

Simply beautiful! Congratulations, a lovely addition…

1 Like

Yep. I’ve had one for a few years now. Very happy with it too. Hard to say exactly what the improvements were now but when I upgraded from Kore to Keel and DV-XX2 to Kandid in Jan 2020 I thought my Sondek sounded better than the Klimax version in the shop at the time, which had Ekos SE and Klimax Radikal. Mine is Ekos 2 and Akurat Radikal. It didn’t change the character of the sound but really dug out a lot more detail. Listened to Depech Mode, Speak and Spell earlier, first time in years. Fantastic boogie factor. Really put a smile on my face.

3 Likes

I remember that from show me your Sondek thread, hard to miss that plinth for sure. I love that finish!!! Wonderful grain.

Scott

I’m surprised the BooPlinth isn’t mentioned more as it seems like a very well thought out solution, especially being machined from one block of material and eliminating the need for any form of mitre joints etc that could weaken with time, and it should be resilient to knocks and marks too - we have a couple of bamboo chopping boards and they are incredibly tough compared to the maple one we also have. From the photos online the BooPlinth looks lovely too.

3 Likes

It has the advantage of looking as though it’s fluted too… :smiley:

2 Likes

Yes, agree, the bamboo laminate does give it a classic fluted appearance.

Alternatively, I’ve just received an email bulletin (Adventures in Hi-Fi) detailing the new Linn Radikal and Ekstatik launch, also listed is a new fluted plinth option - hope this is correct, or akkurate (i’ll get my coat)? Nothing on the Linn website as yet, but great if the flutes are back!

“plus the return of an old favourite - heritage fluted plinth”

4 Likes

Beautiful!

Thank you

1 Like

Yes Gregg, true. :frowning:

That was about 15 years ago for the most basic woof finishes BTW. Add shipping and UK VAT + 15 years inflation…

1 Like

Nice to see the Peter Tosh album :+1:

My dealer mentioned yesterday that Linn were bringing back fluted plinths :+1:

6 Likes