New naim AMP for custom build speaker

With a large heavy speaker you should avoid the first two stands, which are a cantilever design and will oscillate. You want four sturdy legs, such as the example in the third picture, with spikes to decouple from the floor and enable precise levelling.

1 Like

Better is three legs or a flat plate with three spikes, three makes it wobble free.

Thanks for the hint. Will check it out but somehow I feel i will go with the atom. If it doesnt match, I‘ll let it go again…

Thanks! Is the material important?
Metal or wood legs? Or just heavy and sturdy?

Do you think something like this is a good match?

I also found some with wheels :slight_smile:

Or just 3 spikes underneath.

Troels says that the tweeter should be on ear level to your listening position. Do you think it makes a big difference when its closer to the groud? (I dont have a carpet right in front of the speakers).

Thanks!

You want the tweeters at ear level to get the intended sound. You may want to take advice from Troels as to what he feels works best. There is a lot to speaker stands and they can make the speakers sound quite different. Some benefit from heavy stands with flat top plates, while others benefit from an open frame construction. In all cases the stands should be sturdy and not rock.

Tweeter at ear level is a good rule, my own designed & built speakers I have the front panel angled so the three drivers are the same distance to the ear.

Carpet is always good, floor reflections spoil sound

With the Troels speakers it’s obviously sensible to follow manufacturer’s recommendation and have tweeter at ear level. This is also a good general rule but not all speakers are designed to work at that height. For example, the acoustic axis of ATC’s goes through the centre of the midrange driver for three-ways and midway between tweeter and mid/bass for two ways.

Roger

Hello Everyone

I just stumbled across the LineMagnetic Tube Amps. The reviews are great throughout the line of there amps.
Even Troel recommends one in his website: „ Really, really good sound. Highly recommended if you want to try out tube amps.“

I found the LineMagnetic LM518ia which looks great in my opinion… my question to you guys:
Do you think I can us the nova for streaming and the LineMagnetic in combination for the output?

Please tell my what do you think about this idea? Stupid? Makes sense?

Many thanks!
Reto

Why would you buy a Nova and not use its amp? You cannot bypass its preamp so the signal is passing through two of them. If you go for an integrated amp you just need a streamer, so just an ND5XS2 or NDX2 would avoid all that redundancy.

You shouldn’t buy an amplifier just because you stumble on a review. You might stumble on a review of something else tomorrow. You started with the idea of an Atom. Now you are considering a Nova and separate amplifier. Has your budget trebled? Do you want Naim at all?

I‘m sorry for the misunderstanding! I mixed them up… The nova is out of budget! I‘ll get the atom…

You‘re right… i should stopp watching reviews… and just wait for the Atom and try it out.

Sorry for the question is was more for my understanding if this is possible to use a atom as streamer and another amp for power …. As I said i‘m really new to this hobby :man_shrugging:

No need to apologise! It takes time to figure out how all this stuff works.
If the Atom has enough power for your speakers it may be all you need. If not, you have several options:
Buy a Star or a Nova
Buy a power amp and run it off the Atom
Buy a separate streamer and an integrated amp. A Naim example would be ND5XS2 and NaitXS3, or a non-Naim amp if you prefer.

1 Like

Thank you!
I just read half of the forum this weekend :sweat_smile: and saw that some of the members use the atom with a more powerful amp. I was just woundering if you can mix this up.
Atom = A/B with a Tube AMP. Is this is possible from the construction level?

Many thanks Chris.

I will try the atom and then we will see :slight_smile:

Have a great day!

You can certainly add a tube amp to the Atom. It’s just that the amp you mention is integrated, so it’s a combined preamp and power amp. It will work, but you would be putting the music signal through two preamps, with two volume controls in use. If you just bought a separate power amp it would be a neater solution with less redundancy.

1 Like

The global initiative to move towards green energy makes valve (tube) power amps a dinosaur in the 21st century.
If you want to heat your room, get a valve power amp, hot transformers, glowing heat from the valves & all this when the amp is idling.
Add to that the power valves have a limited life, depending on make/type it can be as low as 1000hrs.

1 Like

Chris presents the options very well. Remember that the Atom is an all in one. A large part of it is a power amp, which you are paying for. If you plan on using it with a separate amplifier from day 1, then the Atom is not the right product to buy, and you’d be better with a streamer and an amplifier.

Another option is the Atom HE, which includes a streamer and preamp, and then getting a separate power amp, but not an integrated as you’d then be using two preamps. An Atom HE and a NAP200 might be a good option. Remember though that a lot of the functionality of the HE is around headphone use. If that is not important to you, a streamer and integrated amp may be better. Just work out what you ultimately want as your system.

1 Like

Thank your for your answers!
Now I understand!

lets say i’m 60% happy with my Vincent SV500 AMP. I really love the speakers Faital 3wc-10 but I know they can sound way better than they do now. I also know that room acoustics is a problem in my living room… And i really dont like the looks of room acoustics panels… maybe more plants, bookshelves and carpets can help.

Alright so my goal is the following:

Have a more pleasant music experience while listening… i think the quality of the music is not where it should be. Sometimes (mostly when i connect my Iphone and stream Spotify) it sounds very flat and unemotional… not really musical… and i dont know how to say but i‘ll try it… not „in your face…“ its really laid back and not really enthralling.
I would like to have a better sonic experience… and better sound clearer more engaging quality, where i would like to listen for hours.

Criteria:

• possibilty to use my turntable with buildin or external Phono (bonus for build in)
  • stream music from my phone (dont want to connect with cord anymore)
  • remote (or an app on the phone)
  • a bonus would be room correction but its not a killer criteria…
  • its does not have to be one device. If its 2 or max 3 (with the phono) thats ok… offcourse i prefere to have just 1 device if it is as good as a few devices.
    That would be a bonus but its also not a killer criteria…

Thats the needs I have for my new Amp (or streamer + Amp).
the most important thing is „better sound quality and have more fun with my hifi system“ I dont want to go down the rabbit hole and search for something new every other month (although Im sure this will happen anyway :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:) I would like to buy a good setup and be happy with it.

Budget can max be stretched to 4000$ Maybe a bit more. Second hand is not a problem for me…

I thought the Atom is a good place to start. I found one for a good price. Maybe it is enough ??? I dont know if it is a big step up from the vincent sv500… if not, i think i can sell it for the same price again…

Is a 2-3 device system better in soundquality than a all in One device?

Thanks
Reto

Thank you Mike ! I didnt know that… to take the green aspect in account, I will concentrate on transistor AMPs…

Thanks for telling me

Separating components into different boxes has always been the Naim way. As you climb the upgrade ladder the number of boxes always goes up, and the Unitis were introduced at the entry level, and however good they are, they are no match for multiple box systems which cost more.

Given that you have an integrated amp, you could stagger the cost of the upgrade by adding a streamer such as the ND5XS2 (or NDX2) then later add a NaitXS3 (or Supernait3) amp. You could buy the amp first if you prefer, depending on your priorities between streaming and vinyl. Both amps come with a good moving coil phono stage, so you may not need to keep yours.