New Naim & Focal what?

Or, she’s easily impressed, not sure yet!

2 Likes

…excellent restraint on the part of our moderator. Allowing the excitement to build whilst watching for anything revelatory that might spoil the announcement :blush:

1 Like

New products is certainly good news

Yes, Rowan Atkinson’s Blackadder would have had an appropriate fox analogy.

1 Like

Traditionally the Bristol Show is the launch for new product so February 24th will be the date!

Interesting to see how anything might fit with the statement that Naim are discontinuing all active systems - however the wording of that statement doesn’t of itself preclude something new. This from another thread:

CES launch on January 5th. I guess this is where Naim target another release shortly.

2 Likes

Hopefully something new. A love child between the statement and grande utopia would be an interesting combination (with streaming capability).

I saw that thread, maybe they are making room for the new active line. Technology has moved on.

1 Like

Well from the looks of things we know whatever it is is black not anniversary tin coloured lol. I’m super excited mainly for what any new product could mean for the second hand market.

2 Likes

Well, new products should be an exciting proposition.

It would seem entirely sensible for Focal/Naim to pool collective resources/experience and collaborate on an active speaker of some kind. It would also seem possible that the active power amp circuitry might be incorporated into the speakers themselves.

The potential issues for existing customers with strong pre-power combinations would be whether or not such an active speaker would be an affordable proposition with tangible benefits rather than change just for the sake of it, plus of course the sonic characteristics of a new speaker though I’d imagine there would be many gains on paper.

Let’s just hope any new offerings suit a range of budgets and are not simply very high-end. It would also be a shame to see separates ranges dwindle especially for those who’d prefer a different sonic signature by using a different speaker.

Some kind of modular design might also be nice if you could gradually upgrade the amplification from time to time.

2 Likes

A Naim active speaker would be an interesting product around the NAP500 amp level and easy integration with existing pre amps

1 Like

I think everyone is getting a bit over excited here.

3 Likes

Noting wrong with a bit of over excitement, (allegedly), although I find myself underwhelmed by the ideas being discussed here. So far, my money is safe!

2 Likes

Well, 2022 has been miserable for many reasons, we need something to cheer us up I think!

3 Likes

I’m excited. Incidentally I have an appt at my dealers on 20th Jan to have an audition and look at next steps - hoping that if there are “new things”, that the dealers will have them on demo by then (even though I’d expect a significant wait for customer orders thereafter).

Also, to upgrade or “downsize” from whatever complete system someone may have is a much bigger change than just changing a source, amp or speaker, and unless a very favourable part exchange deal for the lot can be achieved could be a much bigger financial challenge than the size steps to which people are more accustomed. I suspect that if it weren’t for this particular factor more people might have changed to active speakers like the ATC SCM50, 100 or 150 than have done to date.

3 Likes

I remember the CDS555 release which (and I’m going out on a limb here perhaps) was a big disappointment with some going back to a CDS3 with 555ps

I remember the CD555 launch very well but certainly don’t recall any great disappointment - quite the opposite in fact!

10 Likes

If anyone is still disappointed with their CD555 I’ll happily provide my address.

15 Likes

Yes I suppose I should not generalise based on a few people I know. Possibly something to do with the quirky features and little teething problems. However there were those that preferred the cds3