New Naim Internet Radio - feedback & requests

Hi,
I noticed now with the new app/firmware that the album artwork only shows when we connect to the radio. On the next song, nothing is dispayed.

Kr

Hi @indexical

Currently no, and in practice we have been quite strategic on how we expose international stations to users based on legal judgements on Tunein.

History lesson:
TuneIn (internet radio directory) were taken to court for profiting from linking end users with stations that they should not of been able to access that were only licensed to play in certain territories. See:

Since that judgement various directories have applied either Geoblocking, or made it very clear when a user is intentionally trying to access stations from a different country.

At Naim we decided:

• The view that customers get is for their country by default. For UK, if you’re in UK the stations offered for popular, browse, popular etc. are all for UK content.

• If a user wishes to access international stations, they can but its very clear that they are doing so by browsing into the international menu and intentionally picking a station to play.

• Naim do not inject or modify the stream link in anyway to the end customer and we assume that if a broadcaster is not licensed to play in a given region they will Geoblock server side. A lot of USA stations do this, and some to even state level.

• Search results are also weighted to find hits in their country first and then international afterwards.

Hence, we avoid worldwide genre & popular views that give the impression that there are no international boundaries’ and end users may unintentionally play content that they unwittingly did not know was not licensed for their country.

It’s ultimately a grey area, and one can argue that its up to the stations to geoblock, but we felt its also up to us as the directory provider to make it clear the stations that are definitely part of the listeners country and ones that are not.

Best

Steve

8 Likes

Hi all, sorry for this.
Trying my first post. Looks as though i am replying but i just want to make a general request. How do i post without replying?

I am like an exited child . I have a muso gen 1.
Is there an eta on the firmware update for gen 1 devices?
I fully appreciate that the update needs to be adjusted for the gen 1 devices

Thank you

hi steve
thanks for explaining so fully - that all makes sense would hate naim to be in trouble for what is only a ‘nice to have’
best wishes
nigel

Hi @Stevesky
Please see post number 423. Can you help?

I’m not aware of any eta from naim on this.

To add to Richard’s comment that covered one of your questions, if you tap the arrow immediately below a post, you will be replying to that post, whereas if you tap the larger “Reply” box with an arrow towards the bottom of the thread, then you reply to the thread. This is what you should use if you want to start a new conversation within the thread, so it’s what you always use unless you are specifically replying to a particular post.

@Stevesky

My Nova currently streams a US station called ‘The River of Calm’ . As it is tagged for eventual deletion, I have searched the new Naim database for a link- none exists.
Is it possible to have this station reinstated?

Many thanks!

GTE

Can The Jazz Groove hi def flac stations be added yet?
If so, how? @Stevesky
David

What’s going to happen to the iRadio functionality on the UnitiServe (and I guess HDX) – is that going to be covered by the gen1 streamers update i.e will the US get an update…??

If not, presumably the existing vTuner platform on the US will just cease to be…?

SC

(Apologies if I’ve missed this anywhere)

Hi Richard,
Thank you.I would hope we get something in the next few weeks

Ddavid, thank you

Hi @davidf

Until end of November we have a promotion running with The Jazz Groove to allow all Naim customers to access the FLAC streams for free.

On the Internet Radio home page is a Jazz Groove section:

By mid Dec we should have the user added stations feature ready in the app.

Best

Steve

1 Like

Hi @Stevesky any chance we can have Aperitivo Italia (see here: https://www.wideline.it/) on the radio list please?

Hi @andrewb

You’ve got it!

We’ll add all the other streams for this channel over the next few days. Need to unpick them on what’s what.

Best

Steve

1 Like

Hi Steve,

Could you take a look at my favorite radio station „RadioYacht“, previously streaming at 192 kps now degraded to 64 kps . Btw, formerly Ambient Electronic, now Variety. Was a long search :wink:
Highly Appreciated !
Thanks & Regards
Tom

Vtuner 192 kps

Hi @TomBa

Now corrected,

Enjoy.

Regards

Steve

1 Like

Great, thank you.

Can we add https://stream.aiir.com/he5hocuryqbvv

Classic hits radio no adverts great for background listening and this is the 192k stream thanks

That’s a shame I thought it would be free? How would you pay to continue listening? Sad

1 Like