New Naim Radio stations plus a radio upgrade for all Naim streaming systems

Hi,

Re: JB Radio 2 - that channel has decided to close down, so has been removed from the hidef radio and Naim Choice section. See the jb radio2 facebook page for more details.

Regards

Steve Harris
Software Director
Naim Audio Ltd.

That’s a big shame. I really enjoyed the quality & the rock music! ;(

It looks like JB Radio 2 have closed down. They announced on Facebook. Their website is down too now. Shame.

Thats sad news, they were an excellent channel and the sq was great

1 Like

I echo that, listened to it quite a lot. Still the excellent Radio Paradise is still around!

2 Likes

So can someone please explain why the hi def streams are not available for the Superuniti? Is it a hardware thing?

Yes its a hardware thing, needs more horsepower.
It can’t be done on any of he older ‘legacy’ platform units such as SuperUnity & its related family & the ND series

Can you describe it more technical?

I mean, it can ‘stream’ the highest quality files from my NAS over the network. How is streaming over internet any different in this case? I mean the SuperUniti can decode the files on the fly or am I thinking wrong here? :slight_smile:

The stream is over internet & as I understand it, HD is FLAC & over internet it has to be carried in an Ogg container. The legacy units internet software cannot handle Ogg

Don’t understand it either. My NDS works perfect with Tidal and Qobuz,so why would a FLAC streaming internet radio now suddenly be a problem? Would love to hear the technical details as to why the hardware and/or firmware of the legacy units can not support that.

I suggest you search the forum for info on this, its been questioned a number of times with @Stevesky Naim’s Software Director

He has said …
Re: Internet radio standards.
(this means internet radio standards, not internet streaming standards)
FLAC playback over the internet is actually FLAC encoded in an OGG container
… an OGG container is currently missing from the Bridgeco code.

Strictly speaking, it’s not the Ogg container as such that the 1st gen streamers don’t support, but the relatively unusual combination of FLAC in an Ogg container which lossless iRadio uses. The more usual Vorbis in an Ogg container, they do support.
Why exactly they can’t handle this format, I wouldn’t know, but perhaps Steve will enlighten us!

I thought it was to do with the underlying operating system certain systems were designed with which doesn’t support it

Hi Chris, a few months ago he did hint that he had someone looking into what was possible with Bridgeco. I understood it to be a longshot, but haven’t heard anything more.

It seems that Audiophile Jazz, from Greece, is no longer available in the UK. Is that a Brexit thing?

Edit: found a decent replacement in FLUX FM, also in 320kb/s.

It seemed to have disappeared from Canada as well a few weeks ago.

I have all of these stations with Roon, which deals with streaming formats over IP, then sends the extracted FLAC, as WAV files to the NDS.
There is even a test station in MQA 192, where the stream is unfolded in the Roon Core and presented as 24/96 WAV files.

No,
its also not available in Israel. and not only the jazz section, the rest section disappear too…

I have added the Naim Radio, Naim Jazz and Naim Classical flac channels to my Serviio online sources and they are all playing beautifully through both Kazoo and BubbleUPnP to my Naim Amps.
Have also added
Mixed - Mother Earth Radio (Germany) (flac 24/96),
Dance - Intense Radio (24/44.1 flac),
Blues - Radio Bluesflac (flac), and
Classical - Rondo Klasu Pro (Finland) (flac).
They are also playing well. Note Mother Earth is 24/96 so Hi-Res radio !
If anyone wants the URLs please ask.

Naim seems to have sorted out Naim Radio stations at last - well done.

Roon page reported " Audiophile Jazz, Lounge, Classical and Baroque seem to be gone" on 20th Dec. (https://community.roonlabs.com/t/audiophile-jazz-lounge-classical-and-baroque-seem-to-be-gone/130145) also Audiophile Blues.
Strangely the Audiophile Jazz (on http://8.38.78.173:8210/stream) is now streaming an Australian station on my system.
PS Not a Brexit thing I suggest.