New Naim Radio stations plus a radio upgrade for all Naim streaming systems

Anyone else getting Naim Classical HD at extremely low volume? Need to get the volume dial well over 50 before really hearing it.

As a slight aside, if you want these on the sqbx server you can enter the url info, even the high quality stream outside the UK, then save as favourites.

Hi @JamesBKK

Just did a system check and the Classical channel is broadcasting at correct levels. We use no dynamic range limiters on the channel, so the output is bit perfect to the original 16/44.1kHz masters.

Best

Steve Harris
Software Director
Naim Audio Ltd.

1 Like

Many thanks for checking, appreciate it. Must just be the dynamics of the music itself.

The new Naim stations are very nice.

I have the new firmware on my Qb and notice that the internet radio search options are quite
different. What happened to ‘by genre’ or ‘country.’ If I enter jazz, for example, I don’t seem to be able to scroll beyond two screen content. Am I missing something?

Terry Teplitz

You can add channels via BluOS TuneIn, just add a favourite and paste the link then give it a title.

1 Like

I use Seagate 2TB HDD USB drives for all these sort of backup things. They don’t cost much.

I think they sell them in two types, the difference basically being the bundled software: Backup and Expansion. I always buy Expansion as they doesn’t try to take over and make you do things their way.

One suggestion for the Naim Classical station. It seems like you only play parts of a composition. It would be nice to hear the full composition more often.

1 Like

Licensing and cost issues?

I’m not sure who oversees the playlists but I’ll flag this up to @Naim.Marketing for you.

1 Like

I’m an old-timer, so when I first bought my Uniti Star (to replace an Adcom unit used to play music in the kitchen during meal times), I tried to record LPs onto my computer so I could download high-def music onto memory sticks. Then tried downloading songs from Qbuz. I had this old fashioned notion that I had to record and playback with no concept of what “streaming” was until my dealer came over and set me up. He set me up and now I am streaming Naim radio, and Radio Paradise at mealtimes.

Wow! What a great service. Lovely commercial-free music in high-def with just a flick of a switch. I don’t have to make recordings, turn a LP over, change CDs or even plan the music. I can match the mood by simply choosing which station to play.

This service is worth the price of the Uniti Star. It is like buying an electric car that runs on sunlight only, buy once then enjoy without further costs, fantastic! But for how long will this last?

Sorry, but being older I have seen all the nice things that used to be free now coming at a price. I fear that the commercial-free music that I am currently enjoying will soon become either loaded with advertisements or come at a subscription cost. I prey not, but history suggests otherwise. Is there anyone out there who can assure me such worry is unnecessary?

2 Likes

Regarding Radio Paradise specifically, who knows how long they will provide such a great service. I felt it was a bit greedy just to listen and not give something back for what they do. So I donated what I felt was a reasonable sum, and will do so next year, for as long as I listen to them. Hopefully they can survive as they are. RP has provided me with a fantastic service, the best in my humble opinion.

9 Likes

Why should music have to be free? Radio Paradise is funded by voluntary donation, so perhaps you should give them something rather than taking them for granted.

3 Likes

Thanks for that idea. I will definitely do as I use RP almost daily since I have my atom. :slight_smile:

I did not know, and will. How much do you give every year? Is Naim radio supported by donations as well?

I currently donate $20 a month to RP as I used to listen to their Main Mix a lot. But recently, I have found their playlists rather repetitive and my use of RP has dropped significantly. I should give them another chance and listen daily over January, and then decide whether it is time to cancel the donation.

I listen when we sit down to dinner, turn it off when finished. Not only RP, sometimes Naim or Radio four. We also donate to a couple of charities, but are retired on a small fixed income. I don’t want to take RP or Naim for granted, but can’t afford £20 a month. Any suggestions as to what would be reasonable in such a case?

Interestingly, BBC Parliament is now on, which is discussing the economics of streaming.

Maybe internet service providers, that we already pay for service provision, should put a portion towards streaming and podcasts. Sort of like the TV license paying for BBC.

Payment is entirely voluntary, you can just give whatever you feel is reasonable. You can make a one-off payment if you prefer. £20 a month seems pretty generous to me.

Hi @Rensselaer

The three Naim radio channels are free for all, including access on non Naim equipment, and require no donations or similar to keep them going. They’re funded by Naim marketing. Naturally if you hear some music that you like then purchasing the album permanently via the Naim label is an option.

Best wishes

Steve Harris
Software Director
Naim Audio Ltd.

5 Likes

Radioparadise was nearly over some time ago