New Naim Radio stations plus a radio upgrade for all Naim streaming systems

Thank you Mr. Harris!

You see, there still are lovely worthwhile things out there that, like a beautiful sunset, are free of charge!

I’ll mention it to the team, but of course - as already noted - the full works are available to stream/purchase elsewhere.

@Stevesky

Hi - is there a reason for the JB Radio2 HD feed not working? All of the others in the list are fine, JBR2 tries to connect but fails; if I hit Reconnect it reverts to the previously tuned station and plays that. Noticed this late last night, have rebooted the ND555 but didn’t expect the issue to be local anyway.

I agree! I’m a recent convert to RP, especially their rock and “standard” streams. I also want them to survive. They provide a fantastic service at a really good quality. I wish Planet Rock had a high quality stream like they used to!

1 Like

Hi @HouseholdNaim

We’re getting messed around a bit by JB on their IP address of choice.
Primarily in Nov we were told:
"96K stream is still available at http://199.189.87.9:10999/flac until the end of the year.From 1/1/21 will change to http://69.64.52.71:10999/flac . "

So we switched to the new IP address in late Nov, but now that has gone dead. For now I’ve switched vtuner back to the 199.189.87.9 IP address and will keep an eye on it.

Best

Steve Harris
Software Director
Naim Audio Ltd.

6 Likes

Brilliant. Now, apart from Beeb4, I can abandon all those mp3-quality stations for some proper listening.

Well done NAIM.

Still the best. :kiss:

1 Like

Metadata on some radio stations still don’t work. For example naim jazz and jbradio 2. talk about those taken by hidef radio

Metadata is coming for the Naim Radio stations - apologies for the delay. I’ll update everyone here when i have an ETA…

6 Likes

Hi @anon35986639

On stations not run by Naim, it is up to the station if they attempt to do metadata in an ogg/flac stream. It’s a tricky subject as it can cause a lot of compatibility issues as its pushing code into unchartered areas. Currently there are two ways of doing metadata:

• Shoutcast injected into an ogg/flac stream - this is the route that Radio Paradise have taken on their experimental flacm streams. This variant is supported by Naim streamers & Roon.

• Chained n’th FLAC streams inside an ogg container - this is the route more preferred by commercial broadcasters. However, Roon won’t play these radio streams (1 track plays and then it stops) and it breaks a lot of other hifi products.

On the Naim streams we have full meta on our AAC & MP3 streams, but to avoid fighting a storm of compatibility issues we dodged metadata in Ogg/Flac’s for now. We’re in discussions with the DJ playback system supplier that we use as there is a lot of strong opinions on how metadata should be done.

As Clare mentioned once we have wrestled with the necessary suppliers then we can give a schedule on role-out and how we role it out to avoid breaking playback on some equipment.

To end on a high note, for those in Canada, USA, UK and Australia, Kool95 in the Hidef section is back again. This time in FLAC 16/96kHz… plus metadata (shoutcast!). Ideal for those who like a good 80’s pop dose. :slight_smile:

Best regards

Steve Harris
Software Director
Naim Audio Ltd.

5 Likes

Thank you Steve. Is all OK

Hi,

Re: JB Radio 2 - that channel has decided to close down, so has been removed from the hidef radio and Naim Choice section. See the jb radio2 facebook page for more details.

Regards

Steve Harris
Software Director
Naim Audio Ltd.

That’s a big shame. I really enjoyed the quality & the rock music! ;(

It looks like JB Radio 2 have closed down. They announced on Facebook. Their website is down too now. Shame.

Thats sad news, they were an excellent channel and the sq was great

1 Like

I echo that, listened to it quite a lot. Still the excellent Radio Paradise is still around!

2 Likes

So can someone please explain why the hi def streams are not available for the Superuniti? Is it a hardware thing?

Yes its a hardware thing, needs more horsepower.
It can’t be done on any of he older ‘legacy’ platform units such as SuperUnity & its related family & the ND series

Can you describe it more technical?

I mean, it can ‘stream’ the highest quality files from my NAS over the network. How is streaming over internet any different in this case? I mean the SuperUniti can decode the files on the fly or am I thinking wrong here? :slight_smile:

The stream is over internet & as I understand it, HD is FLAC & over internet it has to be carried in an Ogg container. The legacy units internet software cannot handle Ogg

Don’t understand it either. My NDS works perfect with Tidal and Qobuz,so why would a FLAC streaming internet radio now suddenly be a problem? Would love to hear the technical details as to why the hardware and/or firmware of the legacy units can not support that.