New Naim system got, now do I change my speakers?

Thats why i like the Olsen hospital grade power strip so much as there is absolutely no chance of accidently removing or knocking a plug out of its receptical and there’s also the satisfying strong click when the plug is inserted and meets home. The external ground is a safety feature and i don’t know if this has any affect on reducing noise withing the unit but i do know that the RA powerstrip is reccommended to be used grounded in the same way.

The Storm is still enjoying your Signatures!

1 Like

Actually the Storm is now back with the Hawks and Nova in the movie room. I’ve been working through my James Bond 4K collection, and needed a bit more slam! I’m mulling over getting a second one for the Signatures, it looks like they have been discontinued and there is only one cherry one left in NZ.

For those interested I have an answer to my own question, new Naim system got now do I change my speakers?

Well I have.

Thanks to those that gave feedback that PMC are a great match to Naim.

My PMC twenty 24’s were doing such a great job I’ve upgraded to the 26’s, I now have my perfect ending.

Happy new year!!

15 Likes

Great news Eddie. And I’m delighted the table survived the Naim police.

3 Likes

:laughing::laughing::laughing: I gave the table a polish today. :laughing::laughing::laughing:

3 Likes

James Bond surely needed the Storm! However I thought you were thinking about his bigger brother, the Thunder. I was checking Totem website and most subs are gone now, I do hope for a proper replacement.

1 Like

I had a chat on the Totem Facebook page, which typically resulted in varied and conflicting views. Most thought that either the Forests don’t need a sub, and if using one that the Storm is faster and more musical for a stereo/ music setup and the Thunder better in a large home theatre setup. Anyway, it appears that they have been discontinued and there is only one Storm in Cherry in NZ…

I’ve got table envy. That really is a thing of beauty, to this beholder anyway.

1 Like

Why not add one day a second hand 250.2. Some here added a 250 dr on SN2 or Nova. There must be some on the auction site .

1 Like

It would be interesting to compare the two subs considering the conflicting views, I’ve never had the pleasure. It surely depends on what you look for in your Hi-Fi performance and how the environment is. If a sub is well integrated with the the main loudspeakers, a Storm would be great add for sure. If the Thunder is too prominent, it could break the harmony. I guess the Thunder is discontinued as well, they are both absent in Totem website.

1 Like

FWIW…I have had 3 pairs of PMCs over the last few years, starting with Twenty 23 then Twenty5.23 and finally Twenty5.26.

All great speakers with my Naim/Linn system but I made the fatal error of visiting a dealer a few months back and heard Kudos Titans. Oh dear…an emptying bank account now means I have Kudos Titan 606. Wow, just wow.

Don’t audition if you’re just curious.
Good luck.

1 Like

I’d just like to 2nd what HH has said about the benefits or otherwise of isolation as opposed to offering a path to get vibration out of the system.

Many people (and I’m one of them) don’t actually like what isolation does to the sound, I feel it certainly improves things in some areas but degrades them in others. I always find a negative impact on PRaT and life.

The same thing goes for mass damping, whether in turntables or support platforms. Back in the day, this was one of the significant differences between the Linn/Naim approach and what was then the mainstream.

Getting back to your speakers, I’d stick with them. It sounds as if you get on with PMC in your room, though might find it interesting to experiment with their positioning now that you have changed the system driving them.

As for for all the other stuff, I’d wait until you’ve got used to the new system and then only experiment with the bits and bobs one at a time.

Thanks, sound too tempting!! How do they compare to the 26’s?

Tbh, I was sceptical at first but they’re in a different league really. Because of their isobaric design they have a very different sound signature but wonderful detail on everything- the tweeters are superior to the PMCs (even though they’re both from the same Norwegian manufacturer- SEAS) and the bass is to die for. Stereo soundstage, instrument separation and vocal clarity are all first class. After so long with PMC it took me a while to retrain my ears to a new sound but once they have about 200 hours on them the Kudos are excellent. Very well matched to Naim.

2 Likes

I will me sure to check them out, thanks for the intro, much appreciated.

I think thetable looks great and as an earlier scribe pointed out there are many products that isolate individual products. I have a Target table with 5 shelves that I purchased early 1990’s, I’m sure I could improve it, but at what cost? I would enjoy the music and consider changes carefully.

2 Likes

I got some 606s a a few weeks ago… seems we have very similar systems! I tried the witch hat XLRs on my 300 and wasn’t that keen though, maybe didn’t mix well with Superlumina from 252 to NDX2. I see you have the phantom speaker cable, how do you rate that? Currently have chord reference signature but they’re a bit long now I’ve gone from standmounts to kudos. You’re defo correct on the 200 hours part, definitely starting to sparkle :sparkles:. Love the bass on Jamie XX track ‘Far Nearer’, it’s insanely deep yet controlled, never heard anything like it :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I added Kudos Titan 707’s this week, very happy with these in my set up.

PMC’s have always been great in my previous set up’s but Kudos moves it on a step in my opinion.

1 Like

Congrats.

I heard the 707s on a number of occasions and they are noticeably better than my 606s in every aspect, especially the bass!

And I agree both the Kudos were much better than the new PMC 25 series I demoed by quite a margin.

1 Like