New Rega P10 announced

Looks like they changed a stylus profile ( fine line ) and rest is the same. Would be interesting to compare the two indeed. I know Apheta 2 is just excellent.
I think there is a plenty of room for Rega to come up with something between P10 and Naiad.
4500£-30000£ is a huge spread.

1 Like

Michael Fremmer interviewed (still available online) a senior Rega bod and he alluded to a third turntable in the new skeletal design form, so there is still potential for a range topping carbon fibre / foam plinth model. Whether that will see the light of day, one can only speculate! But it would be great to see a Rega off the shelf unit built using carbon fibre, rather than the special order Naiad alone.

Are there many carbon fibre turntables out there? Not sure, but only the Grand Prix models spring to mind, which do look impressive, if rather spendy.

2 Likes

PLANAR 10 TURNTABLE & PSU FROM REGA

Posted on 10th September 2019

Rega has released the Planar 10 with a separate power supply and the new Apheta 3 cartridge

The Planar 10 features the new RB3000 tonearm fitted with an improved, low mass, bias housing. It’s constructed using a lightweight Tancast 8 polyurethane foam core, sandwiched between two layers of HPL (high pressure laminate), making the new Planar 10 skeletal plinth 30% lighter than the original RP10.

Planar 10 turntable & PSU From Rega

That plinth combines with a ceramic top brace and phenolic resin bottom brace to form a “stressed beam,” assembly.

“We have pioneered a completely new low mass, central hub bearing assembly with improved mechanical integrity,” said the company.

The tonearm uses an aluminium arm tube. Similarly, the turntable features an aluminium sub-platter and hardened tool steel spindle that runs inside a custom brass housing. A ceramic top brace creates a platform between the tonearm and central bearing: a first for Rega.

The P10 uses a ceramic, flywheel effect platter, produced from ceramic oxide powder which is compressed, fired and diamond cut.

The Planar 10 uses Rega’s latest generation, 24v synchronous, low vibration motor technology. Each motor is hand tuned to match its own custom matched P10 PSU power supply before fitting to the turntable. In addition, the deck uses the EBLT, a drive belt featuring a new, bespoke new rubber compound.

The electronic power supply is housed in a new, metal custom case, featuring electronic speed changes and user adjustable electronic fine speed adjustment. The speed and control of the motor is generated via a new DSP (Digital Signal Processing) generator built upon a high stability crystal.

The Planar 10 will be made available with a new MC cartridge the Apheta 3, as a factory fitted option. This new cartridge was developed alongside the Planar 10 and features a “Fine Line” diamond profile.

A new, removable, single piece dustcover has been introduced too

1 Like

I’ve listened to their table at local dealer. Let’s hope P10 sounds better than this. :confused:

2 Likes

Oh dear, not good then!

Ed Selley now has a new P10 under his scrutiny, so I’m sure the first print / online review from someone who’s actually heard the thing will be out soon.

1 Like

I’ve always wondered why they don’t add a little black pigment to the ceramic mix on the 10’s. I think it would look much better…

2 Likes

Delighted with my Planar 8, but I might be £2k worse off had this been around in January. Would love to hear it though so may well head to the launch event

Have to admit, I really like the black & white contrast on the P10 (and RP10) as the ceramic platter sets it apart from the P8 visually, plus the RB2000 polished aluminium arm as opposed to the satin black of the lower models.

The ceramic platter is utterly gorgeous. I’m amazed that such a beautifully elegant and effective solution is not found elsewhere.

3 Likes

Of course they originated the ceramic platter on the P9 in the late 90s and used a cheaper version of it on the very-underrated and probably undersold P7 from around 2007. Some didn’t like the looks of the 7 but I thought the sound was superb VFM and I was disappointed they reverted to glass with the RP6 and 8, good though they are.

2 Likes

Yes, the ceramic platter arrived with the original P9, although note that the platter on the RP10, Naiad etc… is rather different underneath with smoother profiling and improved weight distribution.

Yes, I remember the P7. I thought it was a bit of an unfortunate ugly duckling. A shame that the plinth wasn’t like the P25, although I’ve seen at least one P25 with the P7 platter and that looked pretty good, although I’m not still not sure about that platter…

It’s bloody heavy for it’s size too but most of the weight is at the edges - something to do with it having a flywheel effect according to Rega.

Actually Kyocera PL910 had a ceramic platter first back in the 80s.

5 Likes

Ah yes, thank you Kuma. I had forgotten about Kyocera. Nigh on invisible in the UK, I do recall it in one or two shops in the US in the early '80s, particularly their first CD player which seemed to be re-badged and sold by a number of others.

Yeah, as I recall, they made some big power amps with cool design. Of course, a ceramic platter on their TT was a natural, since the company was named Kyoto Ceramics.

1 Like

The P8 is fantastic value for money with the cartridge combo
Totally love mine
The P10 will surely be a law of diminishing returns…better …but not THAT much better

Agree on the Planar 8, and hope you’re right that the 10 isn’t that much better

Believe it.

As all things, when something is already good, the difference is more than likely to be small, or even just a different sound and i guess most off what is different will be from the cartridge more than the other stuff.
We all know you can spend thousands and not really get much for it, thats the joy lol.

More to the point whats the P12 going to be like or cost, as thats coming next