New Rega P10 announced

Dunc … not wanting to hijack your thread, but what is the hifi rack. Looks really cool with a single large shelf spanning across the top (and bottom) :smiley:

the Rega shelf and wood combo Looks very nice…

Hi its a solid sounds rack, he makes what you want basically.
Its fine and looks more furniture than hifi, the misses likes it and it works and it fits in with the style of our room. But i wanted a black fraim and you have probably already guessed the misses hated the look off it

Cheers had to modify the rega one to fit the P8, as it was to small to fit on the points on the shelf, so made my own twin isolation platform and it works well and fits in nicely.
Can have spikes or ball bearings between the wood sections

1 Like

Hi Dunc

I have been demoing the Aura for the last two and a half weeks. The photo show the new better position for the Aura. Previously the shelf was above the 552 on the left with the RP10 on the Rega Wall Shelf.

I resorted to this because the Aura wasn’t quite delivering the soundstage and digging out the detail I had a year ago when I first tried it with a 252/300 DR setup. Michael Jackson’s Triller track didn’t do the doors and dog howling and other stuff as I remember it. On Private Dancer the instrumentalists and backing vocalists were so vivid.

So as a last resort what you now see on a temporary basis. Much better. The digital has a really good uplift which just goes to show that the 552 must not have anything above it. I’ve based my setup on space between boxes and good cable dressing.

The TT PSU will have to move because when it’s turned off there is a noise through the speakers.

Some don’t like the HiFi Racks, but I find the glass made a big difference.

Phil

4 Likes

Very nice set up Dunc. How’s the P10 compared to your digital front end? Can’t work out what you have on the digital side though.

Hi well the P10 and aura are not yet a week old and i have had a few up and down moments so far. Day 3 was the worst so far as it just sounded so bass heavy and very little detail. Then the next day it was better. But i have left the aura switched on since day 3 to help burn it in.
But right now its sounding great tonight.

I have a NDS and 555dr, i also have a second supply that i run on socket 2. This also sounds fabulous but its nice to have another great source to switch over too, plus they have there own sound.

2 Likes

Nice set up, was told myself that if i could place the aura away to the left as much as possible from the tt or anything else in the rack then do it as thats what it likes best.
I cant do that and i guess i lose a bit but i look at it this way, i have gain a lot over my p8/ superline/supercap/hiline etc and happy with that.
My p10 is about half way over my 552, but a good 200mm plus above it, again cant swap things around much as height is an issue.

But interested to hear how you get on with yours mate.

1 Like

Hi Dunc, you have a super system which will get better and better as the burn in progresses.

One suggestion: try a table near enough to the left for the Aura. Just see if it sounds better. If you can use the glass shelf all the better. Make sure you listen before the move and after.

Phil

I will, while off over Christmas i will give it a try as it should be burnt in by then

1 Like

My experience comparing at home my RP-8 to the ND555 is just that - they have their own sound. Hard to say one is BETTER. Resolution wise, I hear more from the ND555. But the RP-8 is quite musical (but not more so than the ND555 mind you).

2 Likes

That’s exactly how I have it and slightly annoying that my aria sounds better out of the the Fraim sitting on top of a small wobbly coffee table🙄

5 Likes

Have you tried to remove the glass shelf and place the Aura on the Fraim without the glass? Just curious if it can change your preference.

Thanks for the suggestion. I’ll try that over the weekend. I did try my P8 without the glass with it sitting on the timber of the Fraim. It sounded slightly more analogue but the base sound was not as as tight and slightly more woolly. Ideally I should have a wall shelf but the wife was not impressed when I suggested it. Or maybe one of those expensive wooden isolation shelves/platforms.

Also I wonder if putting the Aria below the 272 is the issue? As you would expect it certainly doesn’t like being above or anywhere near the XPS. The 272 doesn’t sound quite as good as it did either the turntable/ another layer of Fraim above it. I’m trying real hard not having to get another stack of Fraim as it means having to have the Fraim very close (100mm) to my speaker and wonder if this is just too close?

I use a granite shelf under p10 and p8 before, with great success.
However I was referring to the Aura, because you said it sounds better outside the Fraim. So I suggested without the glass…for the aura.

Sorry. Yes I realised that you meant remove the glass from under the Aria but I then moved on to mention the issue with also removing the glass shelf from under the P8. A couple of people recommended that I try this at a Rega demo day including a rep from Rega.

1 Like

I have been demoing the Aura for nearly 3 weeks. I eventually discovered as I was about to return it that being on a tall shelf above my 552 lowered the preamp performance with digital (and therefore vinyl also). It was not affected by being on the same shelf above the 552PS (not DR).

Some of this was discovered by trying extra PowerLines with the MusicWork Reflex Ultra G3 with sparkly base, which with PLs made a noticeable and very worthwhile difference. In the past turning the phonostage off made no noticeable difference. I had 2 Isotek Optimum mains cables on 500 and 555DR PSs before which with a lesser system sounded better than PLs. The 552 has a PL. Soon I will have 6 PLs in all and the G3. Even the Aria will get one. The Isotek will be sold.

I’m not rushing to buy the Aura as the Aria is performing nicely and is a bit more lively compared to the Aura as demoed. Maybe one day, but digital is now my main source. I found the wall shelf was not as good for the RP10. Added the Thorens as well now.

Phil

6 Likes

I much preferred my P8 on just wood, rather than glass.
I haven’t tried the P10 on glass and to be honest not about too.
I know the aura likes space and looking to explore that Avenue, as i might make a record storage unit to sit by the side off the rack and the aura can sit on top.

2 Likes

So for the Aura it’s more a question of space than support apparently.