New Supernait 3

Not heard a CD3 but my first Naim system comprised CD3.5 with HiCap into Nait 3.

Fond memories of both :relieved:

What player do you have now ?

I no longer have a CD player. I sold on CD5XS and I’m now using NDX2 with PSU. All my CDs are now ripped to my Uniti Core so I stream via uPnP on the NDX2.

I’ve not heard the CDX2. I expect it to be a better match with your new SN3 than the CD5i.

3 Likes

Bongoman, I totally agree that if Lorro1 can get a used CDX2 then that will give a much better sound, it was phased out last year and if the new purchased has any doubts, send it back to Naim and get it serviced.
In simple terms , the CDX2 was from the Classic range and the CD5i is from a lesser Naim range. Having said that I have never heard a bad Naim CD player and I still have a CD3 upstairs

3 Likes

Thanks lads,being new to the Naim game it’s invaluable to get advice from yourselves,the search starts for the CDx2 !

1 Like

It’s a great player, I loved mine.

You will have a lovely two box set :slight_smile:

1 Like

Cheers Christopher,you’ve endorsed the opinions .

1 Like

Search over,have bought cdx2,only two years old,ex demo,take delivery on Thursday,can’t wait! Thanks for previous advice people.

5 Likes

Congratulations on your recent purchases Lorro1.
SN3 and CDX2 - that will be a great pairing - the CDX2 is a little cracker and should sound great with the new amp. To get the best from your CDX2 the advice from many round these parts is:

1. Connect it to the SN3 with a HiLine (which needs to be free to hang, ie not touching anything else or the floor).
  2. Locate the CDX2 on a decent rack, ideally a glass shelf Fraim (sometimes called ‘full fat’ Fraim). If that is not possible try and get as close to recreating this with what you have.

If the SN3 is anything like its predecessor it will need 300 hours or more to sound right.
(The SN2 sounded harsh initially but mellowed out beautifully with time).

Would love to hear your thoughts on how it is sounding.

2 Likes

Thanks 1 Giant Leap, SN3 has already “Warmed” slightly,just after a week,but my dealer tells me to look forward to a month or so’s time,and it’ll significantly sound better.With the CDX2 being ex demo,that’s already sounding great,will keep forum posted on progress.Thanks again for suggestions on set up etc.

3 Likes

Right now did you ear a nice difference versus the 2 ?

I’d suggest,to my ears,that the soundstage seems more ‘expanded’ Instruments placed specifically ,but tonally at this moment,not a great deal of difference,if that makes any sense,although maybe the bass is a bit more defined.Im sure I’ll have a better idea in a few weeks time. What I can say is that I’m enjoying the music,so in the end that’s what counts.

5 Likes

Thank’s for your impression :smile:

Just replaced my Audiolab 8200CD with CDX2, rest of system is SN3,and Hicap DR through ATC SM40 ,speakers,what a difference,don’t think I’ll be going out today!:hugs:

3 Likes

Im waiting for my Sn3 and my scm40 from my dealer !! I think i will not go out me too when everything will be installed :joy:

1 Like

Congratualtions mate – a proper black box replacing your Audiolab CD player. :wink:
Enjoy your new music! :slight_smile:

You will have a big grin :grinning:!

2 Likes

Thanks “Dragon” got the right advice from yourself and others ,cheers!

Just a quick update,now a couple of months into system,really sounding good,deep controlled bass,and treble has just mellowed slightly,but still very detailed.All in all :hugs:

6 Likes

Have you listened to it with and without the hicap? Have an SN3, NDX2 and XPSDR… wondering whether I need the hicap dr… would be good to know your opinion. thanks