New to 72/140-What do I need to know?

Well, I ultimately did have the seller swap them. I now have the lovely olive HiCap in place, and also some transformer hum in my right ear! Slightly bittersweet though predictable end to the tale. :upside_down_face: All in all, still glad to have the matching set.

2 Likes

True but UQ/UQ2 also contains a power amp and is discontinued. Something along the lines of DAC-V1 plus streaming on the new software platform would be great.

I can see half a nd5xs2 in a shoe box. Powered from a hicap. Nice and simple. And all for ยฃ500?

1 Like

ND5XS2 in an olive 250 case. :thinking::thinking::thinking:

My 72/140 pair are now heading south from Sheffield.
Darren said they were original. No previous service/totally original.
Which is always good.
So, the clock has been reset. And the burn in will have to start.

4 Likes

Donโ€™t see why. What if they had been previously serviced by Darran/Naim? How would that be bad?

1 Like

A significant number of these amps are modified by companies which should not be named here.

1 Like

I had previously checked with Salisbury and Darran. Neither had any record of service with them.
My " fear" was that Mr Third party had done a service ( badly). But Darran confirmed that these were original from the factory. And I guess he sees enough to know!

4 Likes

I had my 18 year old NAP140 serviced in 2016, it sounded good after but to be honest it had sounded pretty good before. A little while later I upgraded my NAC92 (a Naim dealer modified NAIT3) to a little used NAC 202 and boy what a difference! Last year I added a used NDX and without getting into the lossy v lossless argument, Spotify sounds absolutely superb! I am sure itโ€™s down to the musical nature of the lowly NAP140, a seriously underrated amplifier.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.