New to 72/140-What do I need to know?

It does quickly spiral, doesn’t it? I started off just wanting a nice set of headphones to use whilst working at the computer. Somehow I have managed to incorporate an additional 5 pieces of equipment, and a rack to hold 4 of them. :open_mouth:

1 Like

Well, they have arrived.
As expected original boxes, manuals,

snaic and mains lead.
A quick peek inside and all looks good. Comments please.
School boy error, could not get the 72 to light up nor work. Then realised that the link plug was still in the box.
Initial reactions are good, waiting for them to warm up.
To be fair i’d describe them as 9.5/10.
My Mrs will think they are new, that is my main concern. Telling her they are 22 years old is unlikely to work!
Cards inside are marked
324/7
325/7
729/1
321/5
And another pair? That I’ve forgotten to photograph.

13 Likes

Very nice. Just what I’m looking for at the moment.

Congratulations on your acquisitions!

They look to be in mint condition, and going by the blue coloured capacitors in the 71, i wonder if a service has been carried out sometime since new (?) …I believe the original capacitor colour is maroon, but i could be wrong :thinking:

1 Like

Are there a set of either 322 or 323 boards in there…?
They would be Phono boards… :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Looks like phono boards are there. Same as my 72

Yep, there are. For some reason I didn’t photograph those.
One very minor chip on one case. The runner bits 9n the duals are mildly sticky. Maybe that is how they should be?
Definitely got lucky with these. They may have been recapped in the past. Dont know. But they will be off to Class A in Jan.

I would need to open my 72 up, to be sure… Middle of the top row there…?

I can also see (left of those) an unused set of pins there - guess those are for the 2nd set which was fitted, to the earlier version…?

Erm… the what…?

Spellchecker gone mad.

Right, what I should have said is rubber bits on the volume/ selector dials are a bit sticky.

1 Like

The unused set of pins are associated with the cd input. You can see the links are still intact on the board.

1 Like

Yes, correct. I just de-cased mine - very similar. Lols. My current 72 is a later CD input version, with just 1 pair of BNC’s for Phono. Years ago, I had the Phono + Aux version, with 2 sets of BNC’s.

My Phono boards are N’s - the Moving Magnet board - marked 322/4.

I think the rubber bits being a bit sticky is normal… Its an age thing… :smile:

2 Likes

Mines missing a couple of boards. Think it’s the tape buffer ones. But I only use two inputs so I’m fine with that :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

3 Likes

They look to be in great condition. Enjoy! :blush:

Thanks, and yes they are. Good to get the original boxes etc. Especially after 22 years. Too many people throw these away. Whoever had these before me did look after them.

1 Like

Yes, that’s always nice especially when you find components in very good condition.

I’d guess about 50% of the CB kit I’ve bought has come with the original box so, to my mind, there is a good level of pride of ownership amongst Naim owners.

1 Like

Listened to the 72/140 for about an hour yesterday. It was fed from the ndx2/xpsdr and drove the PMC 20.26 speakers.
Genuinely impressed. That volume control is super sensitive!

Liked the sound. OK, so did not have the low low bass that im used to. But I didn’t expect it. It drove the 20.26s at a decent level too. Yes, it did run out of puff once past 9.30 on the volume dial. But its a 140 power amp. And one that I’m assuming has not been serviced.

Could it fit into my main system? I think it could! Let’s see after a trip to Sheffield.

And yes, my first time of listening to Naim amps. The last 25 years its always been MF stuff. My Nuvista 300 power has recently been serviced and upgraded. It would take a lot to beat that, bit this NAP140 held its own.

6 Likes

I understand a HiCap will help with the base and so would a 250. Oh there’s that slippery slope :joy::joy::joy:

2 Likes

Haha. A hi cap is an obvious addition.
The appeal is the half sized boxes. Always love them, be that Naim, Cyprus, MF etc. I get that things are a bit tight inside and hence the full sized boxes. I’d love to have seen an olive half sized cdp. Or what about a half sized streamer?

3 Likes

Uniticute is quite half size.

1 Like