NEW! Uniti Atom Headphone Edition – and streaming pre-amp!

+1. When I decided to get a new headphone amp for the Utopia 2020, I did all my amp comparison in my favourite headphone shop using the HE as source and benchmark.

Solid state, you need to get all the way up to a Niimbus US5, and even there it doesn’t get necessarily “musically” better, just technically. A bit more resolution, a bit more precision, but less musically engaging than the HE on its own.

I had to go all the way to a Malvalve Head Amp 3 MkIV to really get to something I’d personally prefer to the HE on its own (more space, more ambience, a silky smoothness while still being super resolving). But I have other hobbies that I’d rather spend the €8K price tag on. I’ll stick with the HE for the time being, and enjoy my music collection.

1 Like

That’s real Kudos to the HE.

Has anyone tested Feliks Audio amps. The new Feliks Audio Euforia EVO?

1 Like

I really don’t/can’t recommend other solid-state amps. The HE amp is very high performance. But Is all depends on your pairing head gears. If it too warm for your current, Cayin IHA6 is great.

1 Like

I didn’t but a few others had. The HA-2SF is a really good amp and performs very well. The Nirvana has a warmer tone, better extension top and bottom (the EL34 tubes are very good). Buying new, it is a case of diminishing returns but if you hit lucky, 2nd hand / ex demo Nirvana’s can be had for around the £3k+ mark. At that price it becomes more appealing as it’s a lot closer to the price of the HA-2SF.

If you are considering hard to run headphones at some point in the future, the Nirvana is an obvious choice as it has way more power 6.5w compared to 2w for the HA-2SF I think.

Feliks are a more tube like sound (depending on tubes selected) due to it being a OTL rather than class A amp. They won’t work very well with a lot of planar headphones… just get away with the Meze Elite etc but they’re not at their best. You’d have to go for the Envy to match /better the Nirvana in terms of power and sound quality.

Exactly… for solid state the HE is very hard to beat in my opinion. Especially when you take into account it’s functionality and user interface. Brilliant preamp as well!

I know, the Atom HE is so good the improvement of other SS amps compared to the additional cost is often (most cases) not worth it. Very much a case of diminishing returns.

2 Likes

So thanks all above… Seems like I’ll need to keep my eyes peeled for a used / ex demo UK based Auris Nirvana …

I was looking at various options over the last year before finding my Nirvana.

If you can demo any of the Auris amps ( or any other tube amps) that would be the best way to start, even if it’s not the same model as a lot of the reviews online do comparisons with other tube amps etc. it will give you a base line to start from.

Thanks. I’ve just email’d Auris to get them to confirm UK Stockists of the Nirvana. The details on their website are not up to date…

1 Like

Still have the issue with the higher volume need. Anybody else had the issue that suddenly the volume of 40 is required where 24 was enough before? I performed a reset but without any benefit.

Can it be that a part of the amplifier is malfunctioning?

My standard volume is 40 and it’s been rock steady as I’ve performed a factory reset to remove Chromecast from my set up. Perhaps it’s a function of age as I’m coming up to a significant birthday in the foreseeable… :joy:

1 Like

That being said if it has changed I suggest you talk to your dealer to see if they have any ideas… Ultimately Naim wants happy customers …

1 Like

I haven’t noticed a change in volume. I normally settle around the 40 mark.

2 Likes

Have you checked your audio settings in the Naim app? Possible something got changed?

2 Likes

Hello,

I’m new user of Unity Atom HE, and also noob in Hi-Fi audio as I just started my journey. Would like to ask for advice , regarding source for Atom. Some weeks ago I have also purchased after my dealer advise Auralic Aries g1.1 unit as source for my stereo system. Now I also use it to feed my Atom as my dealer said it is better than using Naim of its own. Can you please give me any suggestion?

There are three digital inputs on the Atom HE, so so long as the Auralic has,an optical or co-ax digital out, then yes.

The question is, however, what other sources does the Auralic give you that the HE does not……?

KR, J

1 Like

The Atom is an all in one box, a dac a streamer and an headphone amp, as an all in one is a great product. I do not know the Aurilac Aires G1 but I suppose is a streamer and needs an external dac.

My view of the Aurilac on a separates system that could be paired with a good dac is that is a better choice, but as a all in one for your set of headphones and a pair of good amplified speakers, the uniti makes the more appealing choice.

When you separate all components is easier to upgrade one of them, but sometimes combining different brand could be difficult to get the most of them.

What you have to ask yourself is what you really search, and if the all in one will be perfect for your use or go the separates and multiple box approach.

I have both approaches in my home, and I have to say, the uniti atom he is not amazing, but the one box solution is what amazes me the most, choose by your findings and ears not by what I say or what you read, in the end try to understand if it is the right product for you.

This is exactly thing I don’t understand, my dealer said that it has better sonic performance when connecting Auralic to Atom, and not streaming from atom directly.
I’m using it Tidal.

I don’t see why that would be true, but I don’t own either the Auralic or the Atom HE.

I demo’d that combination and stuck with the single Atom solution. Sonwweo is right - try it yourself.

I think this advice from Darko is spot on…

Wish I’d followed it - I would have saved a lot of money…

Even if you get some perceived improvement by adding the Aries, especially with the G1 models I think it would be minimal as the Atom internal streaming board is very well integrated and sounds very good on its own. With the Aries you also depend on quality of connection, even mains. Personally, I would definitely spend this budget elsewhere.

3 Likes

This is nonsense! I know both products very well and the Naim Atom HE is an outstanding standalone product with integrated streamer and DAC. Trust your ears and compare the Atom HE streaming directly from TIDAL versus the Auralic connected digitally to your Atom HE. I am sure you will not be able to hear any difference in the sound and you might even prefer the Atom sound wise if you do hear a difference.

And you cannot enjoy the album art shown on the excellent colour display of the Atom HE while using the Auralic as a source. I think your dealed did some excellent selling, but not necessarily in your interest. Sorry to say so.

BR,
Richard

6 Likes