NEW! Uniti Atom Headphone Edition – and streaming pre-amp!

Yeah, that’s just strange advice. Why buy an all in one only to hook up a separate streamer. Just for kicks I tried hooking up my Stack Audio Link II with coaxial converter to see if I could hear any difference. While not exactly the same, both sounded excellent and could not see any benefit using an external streamer when the built in one is so convenient and sounds amazing. Think the G1 is supposed to be amazing too but really only makes sense if feeding into a stand alone DAC.

The Naim HE is really made to be used by itself or as a preamp. So can send to a power amp for speakers or some people like an external headphone amp, but that’s not really needed either. Maybe a nice tube amp for a different flavor is all.

3 Likes

Totally agree. This dealer talks nonsense!

Think the dealer wanted to earn his Christmas bonus early…

3 Likes

I could understand that the Aurilac Aires G1 as a streamer be a better choice on streaming for an external dac and sound really great, but not to connect to a uniti atom he, even if it hypothetically sounded a little better is a strange advice from a dealer and also a strange redundant association.

But I never tried a combination like that on my NDX 2 or Atom HE, I have some stand alone streamers but use it with dedicated external DAC’s, I never tried one of them on my Naim products.

I think it could sound different but not necessarily better.

Well as other mentioned, you also lose a lot of functionality if you go with an additional streamer. The album art and info no longer shows up. The playback functions on the remote and front of the unit no longer work. I suppose you get still get the great dac and headphone amp of the Naim but I couldn’t imagine the G1 would really change much to the overall sound in the end.

…according to the Naim Instagram feed, has just received a 2022 product of the year award (personal audio) from The Absolute Sound Magazine.

3 Likes

So after much demoing etc etc etc I’ve purchased an off piste solution which is:

• Raal HSA-1b Amp: plus
  • Raal SR-1a (ribbon) headphones

Using the Atom HE as a pre-amp…

The SS Amp plays both Ribbon, Balanced and 6.35mm terminated headphones and has gobs of power…

Can’t get over the level of detail retrieval using the Naim App with Quobuz Hi-Res. Sounds absolutely amazing…

Three great products. Is this the end state?

3 Likes

There is no ‘end state’. This is a hobby which keeps on giving (and taking!).

2 Likes

Just wanted to mention here that my ZMF Caldera arrived and pairs wonderfully with the Naim HE. It might too earlier to tell but think it’s the best headphone I’ve heard so far. Easily beats the Expanse and believe it one ups the Utopia in resolution and soundstage while losing none of the fun.

10 Likes

Lovely cat.

1 Like

11 Likes

I‘m sure they sound absolutely fantastic! ZMFs are my favorites.
What cable do you use?

I’m just using the OFC cable with balance 4.4mm. I don’t want to mess around with cables just yet. Want to get a feel of how stock sounds. I’m also using the suede pads. Have Caldera thick pads I haven’t tried yet. Might order the regular stock pads at some later point. The Caldera are my first experience with ZMF. Never heard their stuff before.

Been posting impressions over at head-fi. Posted over here really to confirm the Naim HE pairs quite nicely with it.

2 Likes

I posted this on head-fi but figured it makes sense to post here too.

So I never really tested this before but thought I’d compare the single ended connection vs the 4.4mm. Well it’s not a completely fair comparison since using the stock ZMF cable vs the included OFC 4.4mm. But really shocked that difference is more than I expected. The balanced out is not a true balanced but still supposed to offer improvement. It’s also not outputting a stronger signal like true balanced amps do. Threw on Bullet the Blue Sky by U2 with singled ended cable and was not impressed. Not sure I’d recommend the Naim HE like this. While still nice, it was less dynamic and had a more blended sound. Put the 4.4mm balanced back on and the sound opened up and drums had real impact. Volume was unchanged. Seemed to have blacker background.

Now this could very well just be a cable upgrade making the difference and not the balanced out but would think that’s playing a part. I do have ZMF highest end Verite Silver 4.4mm on order but not sure when that will arrive. See if it improves things further. But even when had Utopia or Expanse, only listened in balanced with the XLR output. Someone claimed the 4.4mm connection was better and figure had nothing to lose to order ZMF in 4.4mm if that truly was the case.

3 Likes

I read many discussions about how XLR compares to 4.4mm and all agreed that XLR is the better, more solid plug.
4.4mm simply made it possible to have balanced cables on mobile devices (and the flimsy 2.5mm balanced connection)

Did you intend to buy the cat a comfy new chair, or did you naively think it was for you?

There is some info on the Naim Classics thread regarding the difference between the two straight from Steve Sells:

It has made me think differently about the expected sound difference between balanced and unbalanced with headphones. It may suggest that the cables made more of a difference than the connection?

I was actually kind of surprised that the 222 didn’t have all the same headphone connections if they added the improved headphone amp inside.

I don’t have a direct way to test 4.4mm vs single ended with same grade cable. The stock cable sells for $60 and the OFC, for $100. So price wise we’re not talking that much of a difference. The Verite Silver is a big jump in price and supposed quality. I should have that maybe be end of the week.

Do want to point out most of the improvements were in the channel separation and how it effected the soundstage for the better. Single end had less width with more of the sound focused around the center. Instrument separation seemed blended. Balanced open it up in width but also depth just felt more real. A better sense of space.

As far as the XLR vs the 4.4mm, I also chose it because I think the unit looks better with headphones plugged in the front and don’t lose an extra foot having to wrap it around from the back. It also auto switches to headphone mode when plugged in. There have been many a time I have forgotten to press the headphone/preamp button and took a few minutes to realize why there was no sound.

I have no interest in the new 222. It above my price range and probably really shines with extra power supply. And don’t think worth it for headphones alone. Upgraded power cable on the HE is good enough for me.

1 Like

Chair was a hand me down from my dad and was my listening chair. The cat is a new addition with in the last few months. He lets out a sound when I sit in the chair and tries to poke me from the back. With trimmed nails, not that much of an issue. But now tend to listen on the couch on other side of the end table. Apparently the Maine Coon keeps growing until they’re 4 yrs old. Should end up around 18-20lb. Luckily they’re one of the gentlest breeds as well. More like a stuff animal.

1 Like

Steve explained the lack of other connectors as them going for the most popular connector.

The 222 is certainly not for someone looking only for a headphones solution. For myself it would slot in nicely as my one Atom He is driving a NAP250DR. But that is for the future.

I was mostly intrigued by his in depth explanation of the connectors.