NEW! Uniti Atom Headphone Edition – and streaming pre-amp!

Qobuz? Better than Tidal anyway imo.

As it is, if people (i.e. audiophiles) just do the right thing and eschew the corporate giants, Roon/Tidal/Qobuz won’t be going anywhere. But some seem to be willing, with schadenfreude glee, to throw the small guys under the bus to save the cost of a dinner (lunch some places). To paraphrase a sticker going around Seattle in the nineties, as local coffee culture felt the squeeze (‘Friends don’t let friends drink Starbucks’): Audiophiles don’t let audiophiles stream Apple/Amazon/Spotify.

Because most likely they decided to use the smb protocol to mount the drive over the network, while Naim didn’t. As mentioned, doing it comes with security implications - it’s not unreasonable for Naim to decide against

Of course, but that does not fundamentally affect Andrew’s fear. It just becomes “is Roon going to survive if the only option is Qobuz, which has limited global coverage, and will Qobuz survive”

And I agree with your other points, but it is what it is.

Whilst I too use ROON predominantly with the Naim HE ; the Naim app is very good.

Spotify connect also seamlessly connects to the Naim HE and takes over from ROON when you wish to ; and there are airplay2 / chrome cast options also. Time will tell how things will evolve with lossless formats. Spotify Connect is limited to 300kbps lossless.

Whilst I do wish they implemented a higher quality DAC, I do not expect a Hugo TT2 DAC at this price point. The overall implementation with the headphone amp is astoundingly good.

Tried with IEM’s and there is a subtle noise/hiss floor with Oriolus Trailii. Whilst it sounds good, purists will consider the need for IEmatch. The desktop unit seems to be targeted at full sized headphones rather than IEM’s.

1 Like

On that note: as a suggestion - could Naim contemplate incorporating a Roon Core functionality in its Uniti range?

Maybe call it a “Uniti Core” ? :wink:

1 Like

I did suggest that to them when I was last at the factory, nearly two years ago. I proposed “SuperCore”.

Best

David

Black Hole? (Most condensed form of a core of a star?)

Matches the color, but on the other hand, you want to get music out of it again… :thinking:

I agree it would be a neat solution but it would require a different hardware spec. UPnP servers have low power requirements and Naim stick to this as it keeps electrical noise to a minimum. Roon requires a lot more processing power.

1 Like

Although I, aware the socket itself wobbles on design, the plug itself inserts and pulls out very easily. ie. if I turn my unit at an angle, that’s enough tension to break the power connection.

Is it meant to be that loose?

You might not have inserted the IEC fully, it can take more of a push than you think you need to apply.

272 new generation with XLRs balanced out to be connected to active ATCs!

3 Likes

Yep, that did the trick.

Hi,

Does anyone know how is SQ of the Atom HE compared to a Hugo 2 ?

@Dr_kevy Has both:

2 Likes

Well I have a Hugo 2 ; TT 2 and Naim Headphone Edition…

Both the Hugo 2 and TT 2 have a more incisive neutral sound signature. Chord are known for their analytical DAC rather than than amplification implementation, especially the Hugo2. As you are likely aware, the headphone out is more an extension of the DAC output.

The Naim Headphone edition has a superior and warmer amplification implementation. The power output on the Hugo 2 is in keeping with the Astell and Kern SP2000 (which I also have). It will drive Utopia ; IEM’s and easy to drive headphones to much satisfaction. It is brighter, with more noticeable treble sparkle than the Naim. The Hugo 2 has greater separation detail, air and clarity in line with it being a superior DAC than the Burr Brown DAC in the Naim. Soundstage is perhaps similar, which is not particularly wide (compared to the TT2 which is a marked improvement). However, the Naim has a warmer tonality and superior dynamics. It will drive HD800S ; planar headphones to their potential whereas the Hugo 2 will not.

So the Hugo 2 is the superior DAC ;the Naim HE is the (much) superior amp. I would pick the latter for full sized headphones, especially those harder to drive. My Empyrean and HD800S sound better out of the Naim. Whereas I prefer the IEM’s, Utopia with the Hugo 2.

Naims headphone out isn’t really suitable to sensitive IEM’s. The Hugo 2 and the TT2 are. I am currently listening to the TT 2 with the Oriolus Trailii which isn’t a fair comparison!

The Naim has the all in one streamer functionality. The Hugo2 does not (unless you add the 2Go module).

10 Likes

With my Mac M1 chip able to operate the Naim programme , would such a combination be known as an Apple Core?

Sorry , off to the Naughty Boy’s Step

1 Like

Thank very Dr_kevy,

May I ask you if the Hugo TT’s amplification is comparable to the Atom HE ones ?
Ps. Soundstage is much wider on the TT ?

I find discussing amplification difficult as both TT2 and Atom HE are integrated headphone units with both DAC and power. Tonally they are different and also different price points.

I just put away the TT2 and plugged the HD800S into the Atom HE.

Soundstage I would say is wider in the TT2. Whilst I could (arguably and this is my opinion) say I prefer the TT2 for analytical and technically superior listening, the Naim is nevertheless very enjoyable. And at this price point, it often comes down to personal preference and even mood of the day. I can listen to the Chord signature sound without fatigue but not everyone else does.

The TT2 does not come with any form of network streamer. Whereas the Naim is an all in one. Naim also has bells and whistles (eg. an excellent remote, beautiful LED lights and colour screen etc…). You can literally plug the NAIM into the wall and use your phone to play Tidal/Qobuz/Spotify off it. So VFM would go to NAIM. Technical superiority I would nod at the TT2.

6 Likes

I’ve just ordered a NAIM HE. I expect to spend a lot of time comparing it to my ND555/V281 combination. The value of the components in the chain from the router to the Violectric V281 is about 30 times the cost of the NAIM HE so it won’t be a fair comparison. Even so, my long time dealer highly recommended the NAIM HE and he’s never put me wrong.
If the NAIM HE surprises me, I’ll sell the V281. Otherwise, I’ll use the NAIM HE in the bedroom.

3 Likes