NEW! Uniti Atom Headphone Edition – and streaming pre-amp!

I wanted to try an Atom HE/NAP 250 DR vs. NDX-2/SN3.
Looks like it’s NDX-2/SN3 despite how I really wanted it to be the other way around.
Source first wins.

2 Likes

Fortunately Rel user manuals clearly indicated proper connection for every scenario. That’s likely a better approach vs enumerating the nearly infinite possible ways to incorrectly connect the sub.

Hi JSQT
Thanks for your helpful review which I read with interest. Just one thought - the Atom HE is brand new and should improve when it is run in so it may sound even better soon

1 Like

That is exactly what I am hoping for. :grin:

Yes I have given that some thought. I’ll have a bit more time with it, and so I figured I may run in the Atom HE for a few days playing into headphones. However one thing I can say is that in my past experience with the original Atom and the Nova is that run-in time over the first 100 hours or so did make a difference with bass control and things like transient response and soundstage. But the difference between the NDX2/XPSDR that I am hearing strictly as a DAC & player likely won’t be overcome by burn in… the NDX2 is likely more closer to the Atom HE on its own, but with the addition of the XPSDR it’s a bit of an unfair comparison - everything the XPSDR does for the NDX2 is beyond the capabilities of the Atom HE – and this is accounting for the fact that the Atom HE is a VERY capable streaming preamp/headphone amp.

2 Likes

I was kind of surprised by the burn in. When I first got it I thought the Focal Arche beat it sound wise. The Naim HE sounded closed in and too thick but still very good sounding. I ran it straight for 50 hours in the first week and had it now for a few months.

I was away for 5 weeks and hearing again with fresh ears, it had a nice open sound and soundstage had good layering. It’s a great pairing with the Focal Utopia, especially for the money. It’s not the most resolving dac but it’s very fun and enjoyable.

So sure, if you spend the money, you can find better. I’m waiting for someone to post some mod to use external power supply and take it up a level. I think a few have posted they’ve had good results just changing out power cord to a powerline. Not sure if that makes sense from cost perspective, but at least a different cord doesn’t add boxes.

1 Like

Not on this forum!

2 Likes

Just to be thorough, the comparisons I ran between the Atom HE and the NDX2/XPSDR combo were both with Transparent Premium power cables plugged into Isotek Sigmas conditioner. I ran both wired via Wireworld Ethernet cable and I used a Wireworld RCA/SPDIF cable with the NDX2 stock RF-to-RCA stock adapter. I used Transparent Super RCA interconnects to connect the Atom HE to both the tube preamp and directly to the Luxman amp, as well as between the NDX2 and the preamp. Ironically I have not yet had the chance to test the headphone amp on the Atom HE - my only headphones are actually Sony IER-Z1R IEMs so I’m not sure how well they will get along with the Atom.

1 Like

It was more of a joke but yeah, seeing the mods to the Chord Dave was one of the reasons I kind of didn’t want it anymore. I was sick of upgrading and like the idea of the one box solution with nothing to mod. Just plug in headphones and go.

4 Likes

Does anybody know if the HE will drive a pair of Electostatics? …I’ve long lusted after a set of Stax…

Electrostatics like STAX usually use their own energiser as they require a high bias voltage. This takes a feed from a line out or a pre-out (if volume control on the energiser is bypassed). As such, you’d probably be best using just a high quality streamer source instead of an all-in-one.

2 Likes

I second Richard. I ran a Stax Energiser from the CDX 2 RCA out. A stunning combo.

1 Like

I’ve heard Stax a few times - they are truly stunning - not like anything else, but then headphones are not about a dance party, they’re about hearing into the music and nothing does that like Stax in my experience.

I wonder if a nice pair of Stax with a tube energiser with a low cost streamer on the front would be better for me than an Atom HE with my current Grados…

…HIFi lounge have an amazing selection of Headphones - including Stax and Focal plus Naim Atom HE on dem…I’ll have a listen…

It’s best to take a good long listen. Having owned a few sets of STAX from a pair of Lambda Pros and an SRD7SB Mk2 to more recently an SRS-4040 Signature combination with a tube energiser, I would say that they can definitely be stunning and almost forensic in the way they allow you to hear into a piece of music. That can be a double edged sword though, so it’s best to take a good long listen and then if you’re tempted, live with them for a while. In the end I chose to move on the SRS4040 Signature set as I wasn’t really using them enough - possibly they were just a little too cerebral for me. In many respects I preferred listening to my Ponoplayer in balanced mode driving a set of HD600s.

As for fronting the STAX phones with a low cost streamer, I would advise against that - choose the best source you can afford as they will ruthlessly reveal anything less.

1 Like

Sage advice Richard - thanks.

I did hear the STAX SR-009 with a nice Tube energiser - which was exactly as you describe - I really really enjoyed that forensic side of it - but I did find it musical too. Bags of detail, but the rhythms popped along. I didn’t think they were lacking in Bass which was what I expected. Dry yes, but weighty. I’ve actually never heard anything like it.

I went to the dealers with the intention of buying a pair of Focal Utopia, but when I heard the STAX I just thought no…the Focals sounded muddy and heavy in comparison, yes more drive and warmth and bass, but veiled. I’m not sure I’d have realised that - and would probably have bought them - if id not heard the STAX.

In comparing the two - and thinking about the use case, I came to the conclusion that having something that sounded totally different and provided that window in the the recording booth view that the STAX did was a good idea. If I want groove and weight I’ve got the Main Hifi, and that’s not lacking in that regard. The headphones would be for kicking back when my wife is watching TV (albeit in a different room as they are VERY open back) and listening inside the music, so that totally different presentation is quite appealing.

Anyway - I didn’t buy either - things changed and I found something else that needed investment and I never returned to it, but I’m thinking I might revisit.

Regarding a source - low cost is relative of course, but there are some good second hand options out there - I wondered about picking up a second hand Linn Akurate DS or something…or (whizzy idea) using an Atom HE to drive the Engergiser as a streamer…I could then use the Atom HE for other headphones (I have some Grado 1000s)

I wonder how using the Atom HE like that would compare to (say) a second hand NDX2 or an Akurate DS. Linn presentation may well suit the Stax of course - they like a bit of detail in Glasgow!

If you’re still interested in the Focal Utopia, a cable upgrade might be to your liking. I have the Danacable Lazuli Reference and completely removes the veil, opening up the soundstage and giving them rich, tubelike mids. This cable has made a bigger difference in sound than when I downgraded from the Chord Dave/mscaler to the Focal Arche and now the Naim HE. I still enjoy the Utopia without the cable but it feels like it’s lacking something without it.

1 Like

So I have been playing with my Atom HE for a week now. Purely as a preamp and it is fantastic. It sounds richer, wider, purer and more refined as my old Atom (also as a preamp). Same cables, same power amp, same speakers, same room. It is really hard to describe what has changed, but I would say the PRaT is still there, but more refined, with less distractions (like emphasised bass or mids) and pulling me more into the music. I even noticed this when listening to Internet Radio several times this week. I also noticed that the bass is not less but tighter, which leads to less boomy bass in our room. I love it!

Anyone living near Arnhem in The Netherlands is welcome for a demo.

BR,
Richard

6 Likes

Super interesting - I’ll see if my dealer has one for me to try.

Headphones are so personal, I do subscribe the view Richard expressed that extended demos are mandatory.

Couldn´ t more agree to Richard - a Stax (and defenetly the 009) desevers the best source you can get.
Just think about the SSE running directly into the amp with the Stax-Flagship - headphone-heaven… :innocent:

atb, Tom

1 Like

Curious about the power output with 32 ohm headphones single ended. Is there a graph available?