NEW! Uniti Atom Headphone Edition – and streaming pre-amp!

Thanks, Richard. That sounds like a good method with the sub providing the room EQ. Just to make sure I understand it, is the sub managing the crossover frequency and sending a hi-pass signal to the power amp for delivery to the main speakers?

Yes, that is correct. The signal from the Atom to the sub is full range. The sub’s DSP is set to a preset matching my main speakers, which sets the crossover frequency. The three EQ positions in the sub are used to flatten the frequency curve below 200hz. These EQ settings can be set by entering a frequency, level and Q. I have determined these values for the three EQ settings by calculating filters in REW.

Connection scheme:

EQ parameters:

Schermafbeelding 2021-11-28 om 20.41.05

BR,
Richard

3 Likes

I bought one of these for my Apple TV and it works flawlessly through the Analog input on the Naim…

HDMI ARC Adapter & DAC Converter, edola HDMI ARC Audio Extractor Adapter & DAC Converter Selector with Digital Optical Toslink Coaxial and Analog 3.5mm L/R Stereo Audio for HDTV Speaker Home Theater

2 Likes

Thanks, looks interesting. Does the CEC function so that you can control the volume level with the TV’s remote? That’s the main reason I wanted HDMI.

I know it is not strictly the same setup, but I use the TV 4K connected to the TV via HDMI (not Arc) and then use the Optical out to my Naim amp. There’s a functionality on the TV that can control other devices volume control: If you can't control your TV or receiver with your Apple TV Remote – Apple Support (UK)

That works great for me.

3 Likes

Yep, that was my use case.

You can also consider playing the sound from the Apple TV via AirPlay to your Atom. Works fine for us, but you do need to set it every time you use the Atom.

1 Like

I’m soooooo happy. My dealer called me this morning and I picked mine up earlier today. Setup was so smooth and I’m already hearing the improvement over the Unitiqute. So far this is a wonderful package.

I’ll try my headphones a little later tonight when I have time, but wow! Even basic Internet Radio streams sound so nice. Open, detailed and just … well musical. Isn’t that what it’s all about?

5 Likes

What are people’s experiences of burn-in? Heard a brand spanking new HE with Celestee’s today and can’t say I was impressed with texture and body across the range. Will go back for another listen in a week or two….

When I first got it, I was disappointed. I thought the Focal Arche sounded better. The Naim sounded closed in and too dense. I took advice of running it in 50 hours and then used it normally after that. It now sounds much better than the Focal Arche. The sound opened up and it has great bottom end with weight and texture. Think it’s a joy to listen to.

2 Likes

Both the HE and the headphones benefit from a good few days of running in. I left the Uniti playing radio through the headphones in another room for a whole weekend before I even had a first listen.

3 Likes

Thanks. I may try and take them away on home loan to leave them running constantly for a few days.

I found the Atom HE & Celestee the sweet spot comparing other headphones (Focals and non-Focals). Somehow it was the right balance for me and reminded me from my SBLs and IBLs without the adverse room effects.

2 Likes

I wish I had that level of patience :smile:

Hi @Naim.Marketing. Do you have any partners in Kuwait where I can listen to the HE? The Naim website does not list any, but I thought I would double check with you. Thanks.

I’ve put my order for the HE in today. Buying something primarily for personal use is often an interesting process here but glad I got full agreement of the other half (first time). It’s like relations therapy.

10 Likes

I think the Naim Unit Atom is one of the few high end audio products that appeal to audiophile and non-audiophiles alike. When I had my Chord Dave setup, people were impressed by the sound but didn’t know what to make of the setup. And why would you have this separate box, the mscaler, whatever that does, if the Dave is already so expensive. I was somewhat a fan of the Dave’s crazy design except for the round hole with an old square screen in it. If that used a round screen, would have been much better.

As for the Naim He, I can just see a future update with a touch oled screen. The backlighting on the Naim HE is pretty bad and contrast not great. Not that big of deal since really for just album art and the remote and giant volume knob are great. But an oled screen in a dark room would really be impressive.

1 Like

@Naim.Marketing just making sure you saw this :point_up_2:t4:

Yes, I did.

OLED screens have certainly been considered, but typically ruled out for cost and availability reasons.

When the dust settles on the current supply-chain crisis - where it’s tough enough to get currently specified components, let alone source new ones - i’m sure it’ll get considered again at some stage.

1 Like

In the meantime - more Awards for Uniti Atom Headphone Edition!

Product of the Year from Stereonet (along with a PoY for Focal Clear Mg)

12 Likes