NEW! Uniti Atom Headphone Edition – and streaming pre-amp!

And a Best in Class award from Australian publication, Sound+Image

12 Likes

You can search for retailers here but Kuwait does not seem to be listed:

1 Like

I think if the screen size was the same size as the album art, probably wouldn’t even notice the lcd screen backlit. But for most part, you have these black sidebars shown all the time and stands out more in a dim room.

I only noticed more when bought new Samsung neo qled tv and saw how black the sidebars could be since does not use overall backlighting. This tech not as good for pure contrast but goes much brighter than oled. Thought I heard Apple might be switching to same thing with mini led for some products. Think avoids burn in too.

It might be somewhere in these 1400 odd posts, but how does the HE compare to the ND5 XS 2 as a source? I have an ND5 XS (non-2) that I use as a source with a tube amp. I like having a screen. Thinking about the HE instead of the 2. Thoughts?

2 Likes

Arrived. Fantastic sounding unit but a couple of screws on the back not fully inserted. A small thing but slightly annoying on such an expensive unit. Also enclosed quick start guide for Uniti Atom no HE Edition

3 Likes

I’ve heared them both, both are nice. I’ve not compared them against each other in the same room / setup though.

A difference to consider as well is that the nd5xs2 has a digital out which can feed a dac whilst the Atom HE has not such a digital out.

1 Like

Well, I popped back into the dealer today for another listen. Neither the Atom or Celestees had much more listening time on them, but it was clear the Atom had started to open up a fair bit and even the cans were getting a little more into the groove. Compared them to some Audeze closed backs - warmer but fuzzier. Ordered the HE on the strength of these changes, with everything working much better, although Piano erratic, probably due to drivers needing to flex up and settle in more. Will compare the Celestees against Stellias tomorrow, which should, one way or another, set me up for half the family moving in to work from home in the lead-up to Xmas….

4 Likes

Yes the wrong quick start guide is confusing and gives the wrong impression. I had that too, but all my screws are correctly inserted,

1 Like

I am happy with the screens used in uniti series. I would be worried about any risk of burn-in from leaving the unit on all the time if the screens were OLED types since I always leave it in “always on” mode. My uncle has one of the OLED LG TV’s and after just a couple of years use, the screen looks horrible because of burn-in and color shifts.

2 Likes

Absolutely agree. I do hope that the display of my Atom HE will work well for many years to come. And I am not bothered by the blacks not being totally black.

1 Like

Is the display useful? Most screenshots I see just have album pics on it.

Waiting for delivery here, really looking forward to it but I’ve busy weeks ahead.

Absolutely, we love it and use it a lot e.g. to see which song is playing or to check the source or bitrate.

Does your uncle’s Oled Tv have a maintenance mode on it? Has he tried running it, if so?

Yes, there are couple modes like pixel shifting etc but none of the modes prevented burn in… apart from burn-in there has been significant color hue shifts as well specifically in yellows.

I guess that’s the big advantage of using micro led. No burn in and for the most part, very black background and high contrast. I went with the Samsung neo quad led tv mostly to be able to handle a bright room but no burn in is a big plus. It does a have slight bloom around bright white letters on black background but otherwise amazing.

Anyway, I guess my point is micro led might be a good option down the line to keep side borders black. I’m mostly nitpicking but still something could improve on future models in a few years.

On to different LEDs: does anyone know if there is a way to dim the lights (not the screen) on the Atom HE? I’ve been prowling through the app but I can’t find anything…

Not in the app. (For whatever reason.)

But on the remote control there’s a brightness button, which toggles between 3 different levels. (I use the dimmest.)

1 Like

Brilliant! Thank you! The little light bulb button clearly wasn’t enough for the light bulb to come on for me on my own. Thank you!!!

3 Likes

I think you replied to the wrong comment :slightly_smiling_face:

+1 . I had hoped this might of been added to recent update. I guess like you I prefer a nice dark listening late night listening session!
Fingers crossed will get added at a later update.