NEW! Uniti Atom Headphone Edition – and streaming pre-amp!

For me I’ve added an Antares headphone amp for using electrostatic headphones (Stax) with the Uniti Atom HE.
In genrell comparsion will not so easy, because with an external headphone amp you’ll duplicated volume control, but my meaning is, that the Uniti Atom HE is a good one, but really not the best (not fully linear, not good with IEMs, for some headphones not enough power).
I love it with a Sennheiser HD800, Beyerdynamic T1, a Hifiman HE1000V2 or a Focal Clear MG, but not with headphones from Audeze.

1 Like

Thanks. The Elites are fairly easy to drive and sound terrific with the Atom HE. It could be a case that what ever you add may not be better just slightly different. I think I’ll save my tokens for a better cable or something different that may enhance the listening experience, single malt, comfy chair or maybe a beer or two!

Did you replace the Naim Power Line Lite cable that comes with the box?

I’m in the US, so it doesn’t come with a power-lite cable but something that looks like every stock power cable over here. The Vovox is a thicker gauge wire with what looked like much better plugs on both ends.

Not sure how many hours I’ve put on the new power cable but I’ve run it nonstop for few days and then yesterday did another comparison to the stock. The biggest difference I hear is the more precise instrument separation, especially in depth of soundstage and pin point accuracy. The bass is easier to follow and the treble is smoother and more liquidity sounding. It’s not a day and night difference but with stock cable, it’s like everything sounds pretty good but with Vovox cable, it sounds amazing. The vocals almost seems a hint harsh with stock compared to Vovox. So changing out the power cable is like the final touch. Not sure if it’s just because the Focal Utopia are so transparent that it’s easy to pick up on these changes.

1 Like

Got it. Really helpful thank you.

four weeks until what?

That’s the question

I assume, Mike here is referring to the High End Munich show.

2 Likes

Yeah, think there was some confusion. My posted never mentioned any wait.

But now I’m curious about what’s happening in 4 weeks?

sorry, i think it was a misuse of the reply function on my behalf :slight_smile:

Hello,

I’m new here and come from france so excuse my english.

I have to say that the A HE is my most incredible hifi experience on my accuphase. I tried it for my focal clear and it arrives that it’s such a wonderful preamp since i plug xlr yukkon from audioquest.

It’s amazing how musicaly it is. Rich in detail, with great flesh. I don’t even use it for my headfone as i still hear my CM10 like never.

Two things to notice, the eterneth link is far from the quality of wifi and the best power cable in my System is the stock one.

And by the end, i don’t like this much the headfone way and i’m surprise of all the entousiasm i heard. Maybe the burn in is not finish or the speaker way is so good that i can’t land on my Clear.

Naim and BW, the english audiophile is in top Place at my home. Boring for a French. Happy you.

3 Likes

I found it took about 50 hours of running it to really open the sound on headphone out. Using the XLR output with Focal Utopia. When I first got it, it sounded congested and closed in. Now it sounds amazing.

I was also confused by your comment on wifi vs Ethernet. Are you saying it sounds better with wifi? That’s the only way I’ve used mine. So convenient and never any network issues.

If I’m doing the double translation correctly, I believe he’s saying Eth is much better than wifi.

Yes that is it. The wifi is far up in quality from the ethernet in my system.

Maybe my switch or my cable. But without any doubt it is the wifi way the better. Even with the comparaison of four cable the xlr yukkon is the real magic one. Viard, hifi able and nordost was clearly under the yukkon. But like it was the only xlr that i tried, i don’t know if is the out or the cable that made the difference.

1 Like

Thanks, that’s good to know. I believe Ethernet can bring RFI noise into the system especially if use a shielded cable. The wifi is so nice because allows you to setup anywhere in the house.

For headphones try plugging them in and running them for a few days straight at low volume and then listen to them again at normal level.

When I first got the Naim, I thought my Focal Arche sounded better but now there is no comparison. The Naim is the real winner. Much better bass punch, weight, and texture. Sound is now very open.

The Wi-Fi is great on the Atom HE. I believe Naim has a patent on using the side heatsinks as Wi-Fi antenna’s. Using solely Wi-Fi for it here.

1 Like

I’m exclusively using Wi-Fi on my HE, but Ethernet cable was used to set it up, then removed. It wanted to download new firmware when initialising. A fabulous piece of kit.

You were right, i let my headfone running all day long and it sonds really better, not slighty but really. Now it’s good. It’s my first burn in that make a real difference. Thrill to know how far it will go.

1 Like

I think it has something to do with Naim’s linear power supply. Believe that’s what needs breaking in. Interesting that the pre-amp sounded good from the start.

Don’t think it loses the break in sound from non use. I was away last summer for 5 weeks and when I got back, the setup sounded even better than I remembered it. I’ve also haven’t notice any change in warm up. Sounds good from the start up.

1 Like

It was a demo a he. Use in the shop only as a preamp. Maybe it needs to burn in each one of the outpout.