NEW! Uniti Atom Headphone Edition – and streaming pre-amp!

I suppose the pre-amp bypasses the headphone amp section, so maybe it’s just that section that needs burn in. I guess someone from Naim could chime in with what’s really going. I’ve never used the pre-amp section.

Question to the round… When connecting an USB drive to the rear USB port, is the Naim supposed to be able to display the artwork? If so, what format or filename should I use?

Artwork will show when you browse through the Server input, where a USB drive will appear under Local Music, so I would suggest that you look there. The USB input may show artwork for the track that is currently playing, but when browsing you get only a very basic folder view.

The safe bet is to use .jpg files, name them folder.jpg and keep the size reasonably small, around 1200 x 1200 or less.

If the music tracks themselves include artwork, it is displayed as well.
E.g. when adding art manually in iTunes/Music they get embedded.

I Am waiting on an uniti atom HE and an IFi supernova, but both items will be new and need burn in, as I am not familiar with them I could post some comments after some time, at least the impressions from the stock cord.

I purchased the uniti he for the focal utopia without listening first, I hope is a good combination.

3 Likes

They work nicely together, but be patient: you’ll find they keep improving for weeks before reaching full potential…

1 Like

They do indeed sound wonderful together. I was listening to that combination at my dealer’s on the weekend and was very taken by it. Let us know what you think, @sonwleo

1 Like

I have that combination and it is a joy to use. It’s great out of the box but it will also justify a hefty investment in good cables and support devices.

1 Like

I Will pick them up at the dealer on thursday.

Thanks for the reply’s.

2 Likes

I followed the recommendation of letting it run for 50 hours straight and that really opened up the sound. Sounds wonderful since then and is my favorite setup for the Focal Utopia.

3 Likes

It will just keep getting better. The Utopia takes even longer to reach its peak. Enjoy :grinning:

1 Like

Arrived…

It’s burning in, I will let it play for two days, the first impression of the hardware is great, and had a quick listening, so far appears to be good.

It’s a beautiful unit.

20 Likes

Also got the IFi power cable.

3 Likes

Congrats on both! Did you try to do a quick A/B test? Even without burn-in, I would not have been able to resist. :slight_smile:

I listened a little today, also tried the IFi cable on the Uniti but not very conclusive, is a new unit and cable that I Am not familiar yet to comment with confidence or certain , though the utopia sounds good.

I see the HE as a great all in one, I have been using other dac’s with the utopia some of them cheaper and other a more expensive combination of dac and streamer. And I did not feel disappointed with the HE, for the price and what it offers is an honest and very complete headphone amp.

For now I only have one downside, when the HE is on the transformer makes an audible buzz that bugs me, because is near me the small noise is very perceptible.

I also noticed that on my NDX 2 but on a lower volume that almost never noticed, any thoughts in what it could be?

Thanks.

2 Likes

My regular Atom hums more than I would like. I’ve had various Naim boxes in the same location before, including NDX/282/200 and that wasn’t as noisy. I guess squeezing the delicate preamp circuits into a small box with all those other electronics doesn’t help. If it was sited close enough to use with headphones I would be looking for a quieter setup.

I used to have a HiCap DR that hummed but my Atom HE is completely silent.

I found my Atom HE took at least 50hrs before settling and starting to sound its best. Depending on the components, the power cable is likely to take the same or more. The Furutech FI-50 plugs took a over 200.

Have you tried on other power outlets in the house? Is it on a circuit with something like a TV or a fridge?

But fwiw both my Atom HE units hum quite audibly when connected to certain power outlets in the house. It does not bother me as I have pretty long headphone cables.

1 Like

My HE is entirely hum-free. It took ages to burn in - much more than 50 hrs. For quite a while it would surprise me with another little improvement, opening out further.

Sometimes it helps just to lift and resettle a unit. Or move it a few cm left / right / backwards / forwards.

1 Like