NEW! Uniti Atom Headphone Edition – and streaming pre-amp!

That’s good and bad, good you’re getting a replacement but bad it had a problem to start with.

2 Likes

Hi, was you transformer humming ? Did you take a video of that ?because mine seems to also hum a bit too much and some other owners told me that their unit were dead silent, so I would like to compare.

I did not made a vídeo but I found a similiar issue on YouTube, mine was a little more louder it could be listened more than 7 meters away.

1 Like

Getting a different fridge cured such a hum for us.

1 Like

Wow no it’s not that much on mine, i noticed yesterday evening because the room was nearly dead silent. When so, I can ear it from 2 meters away, but I’m very sensitive to unwanted noise.
What bothers me is that I asked several owners of the Atom if they have this problem and they said theirs were dead silent.

I will let you know when my new one arrives.

Oh jeez no, have nothing like that on mine. When I said I have some hum on both units I did not mean THIS.

1 Like

The new Uniti Atom HE arrived, and this one is as expected, sillent when on. I Will let the new unit burn in for a week.

8 Likes

Great ! :+1:

It’s completely dead silent, even when you are really close (like your ear near the power input) ?

1 Like

It has a very little hum, but very little, similiar of what I remember from my NDX2. but this time fades a few cm away. The other one was noisy real noisy, but it was defective.

1 Like

The good thing of these HE’s is that they are quite readily available.

3 Likes

Since my second unit arrived I Listened only a couple of times but until now only connected by Wi-Fi, I left the unit playing alone for almost a week in Naim radio.

Before the Uniti I was using an IFi xDSD Gryphon on the iPad and an Sotm SMS 200 ultra driving an IFi Pro iDSD both for driving the focal Utopia.

They all sound different, and all of them are great, the pro idsd alone costs the same as the Uniti Atom HE.

I Am not amazed by the atom performance when showing small nuances, the details are there but faded and with less separation when compared to the other two setups, and this removes some of the magic on tracks I listen. Could be because of using it by Wi-Fi.

After experiencing the way the utopia shows small nuances the atom in this respect was a disappointment, but it has a musicality that is very interesting, great bass definition and speed, but I miss all the small nuances and details the other present very distinctly and clear on the utopia.

The Atom is a very user friendly unit, works perfectly with roon, has great wife acceptance, also appears to be solid on the hardware.

I will have to connect it by ethernet with a good network cable to see what it really can offer.

1 Like

How long have you had it? I found it takes several weeks for the HE to reach its best - it kept surprising me (also with Utopias but also Stellias)

4 Likes

The detail retrieval is interesting. It lacks some of the upper details I heard when I had the Chord Dave but I’m hearing more low end detail and texture than I heard before. I also think the overall sound is better as far as weight is concerned.

Because it’s not hyper detailed, it’s a slightly more relaxing sound. When I had the Chord, I found myself listening more to all the detail than the music as a whole. So it’s sort of a trade off. On the Naim HE, all my music sounds wonderful when certain albums on the Dave did not.

I do think the sound will open up a little more over time and you’ll hear more detail and separation. I didn’t like the Naim HE that much when I first got it. Too closed in. So give it more time.

5 Likes

Today I tried something, connected the Atom HE to a pair of Focal Solo 6be speakers I have on the computer, took for a moment the place of the pro iDSD, the interconnect was a balanced vovox textura fortis.

The atom is perfect on a setup with amplified speakers, it plays music and makes tap the foot, and simplifies the setup with a one box and two speakers.

Maybe in the future I acquire a second one to the Focal’s and migrate the sotm and pro idsd to the living room, less boxes on the desk.

1 Like

That’s the thing about the Atom HE, it gets your foot tapping. I’m using with Focal Utopia headphones. It’s not technically the best setup out there, but has enough detail, richness, and texture to compete with higher end setups. But it’s just musical and fun to listen to.

I chased trying to get the most out of my setups and lost sight they I’d rather enjoy my music than squeeze out the very last ounce of detail. It’s not to say didn’t enjoy the Chord Dave/mscaler a lot, I just was surprised some of my 80’s albums weren’t even listenable. When I gave them another chance with the Atom HE, ended up listening to the whole thing.

1 Like

I think this is a good summary of Naim. I recently heard a high end Linn streamer, it sounded lovely. But when I came home to my own system, it was immediately obvious that what Naim brings is weight and scale, making the sound more live and organic.

2 Likes

I have not heard the latest Linn £30k streamer, but others in the past were very good on acoustic, but as you say lacked weight and scale on rock music etc. So be interesting to see how James gets on with his.

2 Likes

Weight is the big issue on the Chord products. The Hugo 2 has very little weight to it. The Dave was much better. But when you add the mscaler to the mix it actually feels like it has less weight. It’s an amazingly clean, tight and separated sound while still sounding musical but lacks the groove the Naim has.

As said, it look me little while to appreciate the Naim sound but now I prefer it. I think you also can’t do a quick back and forth. I still have my Focal Arche and even with that system I first hear more detail and air and think this sounds better. But after a song or two I notice the lack of low end texture and want to switch back. So when comparing, try listening to a whole album and see which system you prefer. You might be surprised.

1 Like

So here i am with a bad cold in my second system room banished from my main system room where my wife and son are taking turns playing tracks on ndx2 sn3 combo- thru my new wilson tunetots. My wife thought it sounded so nice upon delivery that she proclamed she might not need to decorate quite as much. In the second room however ive got the he running into the 250dr with my bowers 705s- While sound does not match the 272/250dr combo, it is RIGHT THERE. There might even be something less stages and more coherent about it. It would not surprise me if the new 272 was a uniti with a better linestage possibly more connections and there was a uniti like amp to go with it. And the colors were olive. And you could upgrade it with an external power supply. Hmmmm. Naim are u listening? I think the he atom sounds quite a bit better than the regular atom and with a 250 dr it supasses the nova for sure. And maybe the the 272/250 combo.

1 Like