NEW! Uniti Atom Headphone Edition – and streaming pre-amp!

Was replying to adeeb. Also denon may be but the NAD is not

Then the issue is likely two stages of attenuation why on earth feed a preamp into an integrated it’s not fixed line level it’s a preamp signal. The NAD is a power amp though not an integrated.

Yes, I wonder how that pairs.

It pairs intrestingly, more refined than the denon, more hight in the sound, and the sound is more to the back than the denon.

The denon is an integrated, but it has an AV bypass to be used as a power amp only, that bypasses the internal pre amplifier on the denon.

1 Like

It is a factor in the equation though.

Its a bit unfortunate that we don’t have a matching Naim power amp for this generation yet.

Something like a natural partner. Same 24x24 cm format which can be positioned between the table and the Atom HE.

A Supernait 3 Will come this month to take his place, I had one here for 15 days to decide and waiting for a new unit to arrive. The SN3 and the sopra combine very well.

Since April this year I am privated from listening to my NDX 2, two repairs in a row is a frustrating experience. And paying for the repair of the scratches made to the unit in the first repair process is not logical to me. But I do not want to have damaged unit.

1 Like

I’m surprised you think the headphone out for the Utopia is only good enough? Perhaps Naim sound signature is not for you. I prefer it over the Dave/mscaler because it’s more musical. It may be less technical but has enough resolution to make it competitive while having more weight and energy. I’m using the XLR output with a Danacable Reference, so maybe that’s pulling more resolution out than stock.

I’m sure I could probably built something that is technically better while still sounding musical, but would think that would cost more all together and ruin the convenience of the all in one setup.

3 Likes

And that’s the point of the Atom HE really! It has a very good sound which would satisfy 95% of the people and an excellent convenience. Its that simplicity what converted me. I came from an excellent sounding multibox setup having an Chord Mojo as a Dac. I could have just slotted in a different Dac but I as done with the hifi rack in the living room too. Now I just have the Atom HE and a Power Amp hidden away. Oh and SBLs - but these go against the wall and are not too intrusive.

Next phase may be to move the SBL’s to a different room and get active loudspeakers.

2 Likes

I think you should try another brand. You seems to be so unhappy with Naim.

1 Like

We’ll that was the surprising thing is I actually wasn’t sure I’d be satisfied with the sound quality. Even the Focal Arche sounded better when I first got the Naim HE. Thought maybe I made a mistake. Now I can’t listen to the the Focal Arche for long periods of time without wanting to switch over to the Naim. The Focal Arche is for my work setup, so not for serious listening anyway.

Besides upgrading my headphone cable, I also replaced the power cord at the recommendation of a few here. It takes awhile to switch out and power back on to really be able to do a side by side comparison but I think if give slightly better bass and smoother presentation. The biggest difference was running the unit nonstop for about a week when I first got it. That really opened up the sound and has been great ever since.

2 Likes

I am guessing the Denon is the weak link in the chain. Or there is something wrong with the HE. In my setup it performs excellent both as a preamp and as a headphone amp. Here the HE beats many other high-end equipment I had for sound quality, including top-of-the-line Classé, Aragon, AVM, Chord and Esoteric. My system consists of Audioquest Niagara 1200, Audioquest Monsoon, Elac ARF-51 active speakers and a Dynaudio sub 6. Headphone listening is done through a custom cans balanced cable and the Focal Elear. Wide and deep soundstage with excellent imaging, dynamics and musicality. Both through the speakers and the cans.

BR,
Richard

2 Likes

I think it simply needs more time. Mine settled sound wise after 3 weeks or so.

2 Likes

I Am not unhappy with Naim, if I was the supernait 3 was not a purchase for me, and I loved the supernait. Also love the NDX 2, I have been unlucky with the repair unfortunately.

I have to admint since I purchased the Unity it has played a little only, but my first impressions are what I mentioned.

As an headphone amp is good, never said is bad, as a pre amp until now I expected more, not that is bad and it was purchased for the headphones not for the main system.

Naturally after living with the NDX 2 and the Supernait for sometime, until they come back again, the diference is huge, as it is in the price.

If it is the burn in process it will change for sure, if it is the sound of the Uniti HE I was simply expecting more. But for the utopia is very good, and it will be its exclusive partner.

I used nap100. Its pretty neat

2 Likes

Removed the supplied power cable, and connected a better one, and the Uniti Atom has been playing all week radio 24/7, things have changed a bit for the better, it opened the sound more. Burn in could really be what I am experiencing.

2 Likes

I think i recall @Katzky2021 reporting major impact on power cable change. What cable did you install?

I am using the audioquest tornado 1 meter.

1 Like

I am really enjoying this combination. The Atom HE is way more special than I thought.

12 Likes

What amp is that, where can I buy one?

Nytech Audio (CPA402 power amp) - you can buy directly from them or through some dealers.

2 Likes