NEW! Uniti Atom Headphone Edition – and streaming pre-amp!

That looks really classy as a combination.

2 Likes

Well I replaced my Star with a 250 DR and have that now running off off my Atom HE. Bowled over by the upgrade even right out of the box.

2 Likes

I suspect the biggest competitor to the 272 replacement (wondering if it would have been revealed this weekend?) is the Atom HE .

Looking at that lovely Nytech a few posts earlier , I wish Naim would produce a half size power amp and a half size CD transport

4 Likes

They are well behind the eight-ball now with the 272 replacement. I wonder whether they are no longer going down that route?

3 Likes

You do wonder…

I shall drag out an image of the mob seeking Frankenstein’s monster if that were to happen.

Certainly the Uniti Range is doing really well for Naim - and I suspect out of Naim’s top selling three item two would be Uniti with the SN3 being the third

2 Likes

Maybe the atom He IS the 272 replacement? What say you naim (not) marketing department?

3 Likes

I agree Ian

I’m hanging out for a shoe box naim integrated like the Nytech

Maybe an anniversary one next year

Sell like hotcakes I reckon

1 Like

Couldn’t one argue this is exactly what the Nova is - just a little larger?

Anyone tried this amp with the Atom HE?

3 Likes

Sort of glevethan

But the Nova is also a streamer so that means more stuff crammed into one box

Let me give you my experience with the Nova ( and Atom for that matter)

In one of my systems I have the Core and each of the Atom and Nova at various stages . Didn’t do it for me

So I went Core/nDAC/NAIT2 - and to me so much better . I interchange the nait2 with 32.5/hicap/250CB when I feel like a bit more grunt

What I’m saying is a seperate integrated amp without built in Streamer to me is better

Evidently the Nytech is a great integrated amp doing all the simple things really well

The trade off with the unitis is only one box

Yes, I did. In my case the LSA Warp worked or Audiophonics Purifi worked better. The Benchmark sounds very nicely layered but too analytical to my taste. I do have the notes of the comparison still somewhere if you are interested.

What a mess. :grin: The Benchmark in the cabinet, connected to the HE, and the test candidates on the floor: two Audiophonics Purifi designs, a tripath design and my LSA Warp One in the back. I preferred the LSA Warp. The others sounded different, not necessarily worse or better.

BR,
Richard

1 Like

I tried both the Benchmark against a 250 DR, and settled on the Benchmark. As well as a complementary form factor to the Atom HE, it provided better control over lower frequencies and no background noise.

2 Likes

Yes but it’ll probably be in tin finish.

1 Like

The last “ classic “ was the uplift of two of the three integrated amplifiers, I wonder the next time there is a new ( from the ground up) product, will it be in the Solstice / Uniti design or the Classic ?

1 Like

Probably unfortunately or another whacky finish

That’s the million dollar question, the way they’re moving we mightn’t live long enough to see. :grin:

2 Likes

It will come in a choice of shades of grey….

The Benchmark power amp and matching pre are /is an interesting proposition. Very tempted to buy either the pair or just the power amp to match up with my RME adi-2 dac

A friend of mine just tried the RME and compared it to his benchmark dac. He preferred the Benchmark. Both are quite analytical and sound ‘technically correct’. That fits his taste. The RME sounded a bit warmer than the Benchmark. Naim sounds overall more flowing and musical which makes it easier on the ears and (for me) more enjoyable for longer listening sessions. Long story short: try before you buy!

I would be surprised if the 272 replacement does not look like the Nova, losing the power amp to use the space up for improvements in the DAC and preamp sections, a bit similar to the original Atom and the HE. At times the Atom HE feels like it’s nearly there and does not even need too much tbh:)

1 Like