New vinyl only system for £5k - thoughts sought

Thanks HH.

As mentioned above, speaker placement/size/wiring up with minimal impact on room, are all TBA at this time. Something like small stand-mounts would work well - assuming they can be plonked in the right place in the room.

After years of big speakers I’ve bought some pint sized ProAcs and they are super, and certainly don’t sound small. My reason for choosing them was that they work really close to the wall and are sealed boxes. Your friend may not like them of course but I’d certainly be putting them up against the Kefs. They are not flashy but are beautifully built and sound really excellent. There are some small cheap Focals too, which may be worth trying.

3 Likes

It certainly is, in the right room with the right speakers I must add.

Does he need speakers?

I mean, obviously something has to make the sound, but he could go for headphone amp and decent set of headphones, and get fantastic sound, with no room issues, and no need for cables, stands etc.

As he’s vinyl only, I doubt it’s for background music, so it may be an option?

That’s a good point. What about replacing a separate amp with some active speakers? Still go with a good source and a stand alone phono stage straight into the speakers. Gets rid of the speaker cable (& cost) and less boxes?

It could come to this - but, for now, the intention is for speakers.

AFAIK about new pricings, I don’t think a pair of active speakers will be tenable within an overall £5k budget. If you know of any, please do say.

I’m unclear how you will control volume in an active set-up exc. a pre-amp(?), and active speakers will still need to be cabled - just with balanced connections as I understand things, effectively the same length as any speaker cable.

I just noticed that Vickers are selling a Gyrodec SE with 202 arm and Ortofon 2M Red for £1995. Add a Nait XS2 from Sevenoaks for £1299, a Rega Fono MM for £199 and that leaves £1500 for speakers, stands and cables. If not a Gyrodec then a Rega P8 with a suitable cartridge for about the same price as the Gyrodec.

1 Like

Frankly if I had to choose a vinyl only system there would not be any naim.
A deck into something like an EAR phonobox directly into active speakers would be my choice.

1 Like

As much as I would like a tube system, I need a system that is fuss-free and hopefully completely reliable. Those seem to be the requirements that are wanted in this system, good sound is a given.A traditional tt based basic system would still be built around a fuss-free tt (rega does have that reputation) , a cartridge , an integrated amp that includes a phono stage - minimal wiring , speakers and perhaps a stand for speakers.

Agree with all comments on source first - Rega P8 with good cart around £2k Fyne Audio F501 speakers £1,500 leaves around £1,500 AMP

The first turntable thread for a while with the LP12 barely mentioned.

A source first option would be:
a new LP12 for £3450
Rega Brio R amp £600
Fyne audio F302 speakers £450

Subtotal £4,500. No speaker stands needed as F302’s are floor standers. Enough left to spend on speaker cable, a turntable stand, and interconnects.

Another turntable that might be worth auditioning is the Well Tempered Simplex at £2,000 (arm included but cartridge extra).

5 Likes

I think the LS50 Meta Wireless are about £2250 they have a pre amp built in, and an app to control volume etc. They also have a control panel on top of one of the speakers. You’d need a phono stage for the turntable for the line level input, and a set of interconnects from the phono stage to the input, but the speakers can connect wirelessly to each other or they come with a cat6 network cable to wire them together?
Rega P8 or similar with decent ish cartridge, a phono stage, some stands and a set of interconnects and it should be just in budget?

A 2M red on a 2K deck seem like a no-go in my book.
Rough and unrefined cartridge created for entrylevel

1 Like

Doesn’t the LS50 Wireless digitise the analogue signal? That would be a bit of a shame in a purely analogue vinyl system.

1 Like

I would not want to be at the OP place. 54 replies and 54 different choices :exploding_head::thinking::exploding_head:

1 Like

I would certainly go rega for turntable and amp, speakers then thats more difficult, why, well the rega turntable is great sounding, great valve, plus its easy to set up and live with go forward, amp, then get a rega to match it, these have a built in phono amp that will match well with the turntable.
Cant see the point in confusing things at this level, and the rega set up will do everything asked for and more

3 Likes

I get what you’re saying then I think about how much of a step up I found the XS2 is compared with a Rega Brio…

Rega Brio is not the last word, more friendly smooth soft involving, one hell of an amp on the right speakers.
The latest version.

The Brio is a great amp but the XS2 leaves it for dust, in my opinion obviously

2 Likes