New Year system resolutions?

No new boxes for me either. I did well enough in 2019 too with 552, 300DR as well as a Cisco 2960 switch.

I am considering upgrading my racks next year from Quadraspire SVT to full Fraim. Also looking into demoing some Melco boxes.

1 Like

The problem is that the « what are you listening… » thread is also turning around…
Same albums posted again and again and again. My god!

1 Like

So why not suggest some great albums that others might like, rather than criticise what’s being posted now? It’s all too easy to be negative. When did you last post a recommendation?

2 Likes

I prefer the music room as « what have you downloaded… » or best 2019 albums or albums to come soon…
What are you listening is boring for me. I have the right to give an opinion, not ? When you don’t like something, specially you, HH, you don’t resist to tell us, not?

In the what are you listening thread, I have to scroll the same Dire Straits, Led Zep, Stones, Moore, Diana Krall …again and again , to find one interesting album on 100 others list.
I am not the only one to think that.
But I don’t private you to enjoy this thread, if you like it.

3 Likes

HH will be facing public scrutiny shortly, having the audacity to speak openly about the negativism some people here spread. We’ll probably have to shoot him, even multiple times for his crime.
The nerve on this guy…

There is some great stuff in the WAYLTAWMABI thread. Just updated myself and looked through the last 50 odd posts on there…not one Dire Straits, Led Zep, Stones, Moore, Diana Krall (or Amos Lee come to that). Yes, you do get the odd repetition, but my main problem is there are some hidden gems that can get missed unless you take a flyer and make the effort to listen to something posted you don’t recognise, on Tidal for example.

Anyway, whatever floats your boat….

3 Likes

Yes of course, there are many new and interesting albums to find. But this research is tiring, for me at least. Perhaps I will come again to it much later, but now, I have not the desire to.
We are all different, no problem.

Indeed, vive la difference!

1 Like

We have an expression in France: « c’est l’hôpital qui se moque de la charité « . It’s the pot calling the kettle black.

1 Like

Your translation is a bit off but point taken nonetheless. Diversity is a gift.

My resolution for 2020 is to maybe find the reason behind my system sounding so bad in my living room. And do a bit of cable tidying. Although I would love a 555DR, plenty of shelves left unboxed for my Quadraspire :grin:

I made google translate. So I don’t know if it’s the same expression.
Why not open a thread on how improve the sound of your system ?

It is very difficult to find the right balance.

I had been targeting this coming summer to retire, but have too much I want to do with too little money, and have decided to wait another year. I could afford to retire now, but that would be the end of holidays to far-off places, and no ability to tailor my retirement home as I would like it, nor any chance to consider any final hifi additions. Working another year gives a couple more major holidays while I’m working, plus significant extra capital for those other things. I do enjoy my work (most of the time) which is a benefit, and there I have comfort in the knowledge that I am in a position now where I could say enough is enough, I’m finishing in 6 months.

4 Likes

Play with a valve amp and horn speakers.

Moving into a temporary flat in 2020 while we build a new house. There’s generally no such thing as mains earth in this country so the Naim gear will all go into storage. Rather than go without music, I’ll play with a Luxman tube amp and DAC into horns. Set myself a budget of no more than GBP4k for the whole system.

At worst, I’ll not like it, sell it on and enjoy the Naim again when the house is done. At best, I’ll love it and use it in another room.

Ideally I’d migrate from 282/HC/HC/250 to 252/SC/300. Obviously I could do it in stages - not sure it will be doable in a year though…

1 Like

I did that upgrade in a year (just one HC, but also ND5-XS to NDX2/XPSDR), and I had no expectation too. Was planning to to it over 4-5 years. Now I’m happy it’s done.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.