New Year system resolutions?

I did that 5 years ago…
Thoroughly recommended.

1 Like

I retired from a job in IT - it has the advantage that computers are much simpler than people and if a computer develops severe ‘mental health’ issues you can just replace it.

However I now do voluntary work in the mental health sector, working for a charity - we see the fall-out from the government’s mental health policy (and expect it to get considerably worse during the life of this parliament). Everyone in the mental health area - the medical staff and the service users - are being badly let down by the government; we see it happening, year on year.

On the other hand the voluntary work I do is one of the best things I’ve ever done in my life. I recently addressed the Board of Trustees; what I said to them was, when people ask “Do you enjoy it?”, the answer is “No, but it’s extremely rewarding.”. But then that’s because we are treated as volunteers and well supported and well respected by the permanent staff at the charity, and that makes all the difference in the world.

5 Likes

I don’t really dislike my work while I have my current assignment (I’m a software engineer), and there’s the issue of keeping health insurance for my wife and me until I’m 65.

You can’t know how much money we’ll want or need. We have a plan, with the advice of a financial advisor who has done well for us so far. The plan is 3.5 years, but it could be less if my assignment ends and I don’t like the next one.

1 Like

Write something about how my new Magico S3 MkII behave with the 500 series system, and share it here.

OK…you will?

Write something?..

Shouldn’t I? :thinking:

Why not? I don’t know what a Magico is, let alone how it is with a 555!

Naim 500 series system :

@Thomas

So…how is it?

I wrote a few words here:
–> What was the last bit of gear you bought?

Will, write a detailed report when I have some spare time

I retired at the end of November, in under a month I already struggle to work out how I ever fitted work in.

6 Likes

One more resolution - to put all of our LP’s into the Discogs database. It’s not my idea of fun, but I can’t keep track in my head which specific versions of which LP’s I own.

The upcoming year will be one of many decisions and possibly changes to my system. Everything starts with new chairs in, hopefully, three weeks.
The next step will be a demo of the Fraim. A new rack is necessary and the Fraim is the best one sizewise. I like the Beaudioful Lütt as well and would be tempted if a nice Finite Elemente Spider would be available pre-loved.
Depending on the width of the rack, some record cabinets might get pushed sideways. That might put the current Bauer fj Dude speakers too far apart and off the wall. Fortunately I still have my pair of Bauer LS 3.0s around, as they work best away from the room boundaries.
Once the choice of speakers has been made, the decision between the two amplifiers already in house will follow. The SN2 seems to prefer the Dude with its higher impedance and lower efficiency, while the recently reacquired Bow ZZ One is more comfortable with the lower impedance 3.0.
Once all of these things are settled, I will take a break and listen to some music before tackling the cables and possibly a new tonearm :grinning:

1 Like

Get my superline serviced, it was one of the first.

Get round to fitting the SPU Royal N (this might not happen in that order).

Retire at the end of July when I reach 60 and can go without actuarial reduction, I joined the pension scheme before 1988. Since a restructuring, redeployment and salary cut three years ago I’ve just been doing time, I used to enjoy my work.

2 Likes

Change the support underneath my glass plates from dome nuts to bearings based on silicon nitride balls.

Such a lot of resolutions!

Hmmm. My pitiful ‘sort out the rats nest’ seems easy in comparison…plus try my Powerline on SN3 vs Superline…:slight_smile:

1 Like

I am actually in a better place than a year ago. The system was no longer annoying me back then and listening a nice thing to do. It was missing the ability to grip me emotionally, though. That ability has returned for a big part of my music collection. A new and better carpet plus the CAD Ground Control really improved things a lot.
The choices in front of me are clear and mostly between just two different components.

I want to add a pair of cb135’s or a cb250 to my system. Sooner rather than later.

Stop reading threads which go round in circles, generating more heat than light. Case in point: the “Burning in” thread. Spend the time enjoying music and visiting the Music Room where, at least, folk seem to agree or at least agree to disagree.

Roger

6 Likes

But Peakman, my wife does not want to talk about recapping powersupplies anymore and here are understanding and wise guys willing to do so!

1 Like