Newbie hello

What did you play for her?

My wife has the same view, quite content to listen to a cheap Bluetooth speaker!

I think he played this:

The tearing up was done by FranƧoise Hardy: Ma jeunesse fout le camp (2016 remastered reissue) from Qobuz hi-res. Hereā€™s track 1, also named Ma jeunesse fout le camp:

(Depending on wife, you may want to avoid showing her FranƧoiseā€™s photo or mention that she is old now :wink: )

Later, the 2020 reissue from the Verve Acoustic Series of the Getz/Gilberto album with Girl from Ipanema also made a big impression. From Qobuz hi-res as well.
(However, when playing this to anyone I found that it is a good idea to mention that there is a tape glitch in the master (in Girl from Ipanema) that was intentionally not fixed in this remaster for reasons of historical accuracy. Otherwise it startles them)

(I also have the vinyl of both, which is also fabulous)

And Gravenhurst, ā€œNicoleā€ from the Fires in Distant Buildings album. The sparkling of the guitar and the warm bass did their thing, but even more so that the singer is present before he starts to sing.

Admit that you peeked into my profile and found that I was born in Austria :wink:

Nah your accent already gave that away!

18 years of Berlin didnā€™t cancel that out, still sounding like Schwarzenegger (same region :slight_smile: )

1 Like

:joy:

Thanks, Iā€™ll see if I can get the same reaction :grinning:

1 Like

I can get my Hi-Fi to get most women to tear up no matter what is playing.

I tell them how much it costā€¦

4 Likes

:joy: I am blessed with her not caring much about my money, but there were times in the past when it would have been different! Not sure how to make her relax with the hifi in relationships where living expenses are shared ā€¦

Haha yes, thatā€™s something I need to keep quiet about! Thankfully as long as the bills are paid and anything needed for the house is covered Iā€™m ok ā€¦ I think :grimacing:

Iā€™m not too hopeful about convincing her, one of my favourite ā€˜demoā€™ tracks is ā€œBaby Plays Aroundā€ by Anne Sofie von Otter, ā€œFor the Starsā€ with Elvis Costello. That got me a ā€œyes that sounds niceā€ :roll_eyes:
My daughter on the other hand just looked at me speechless and said she understood now why I enjoy listening to music so much.

Sorry, gone a bit off topic.

The best thing you could do at this stage is to install dedicated mains. There are dozens of threads about it. It will probably cost less than a PowerLine and make more difference.

For many years Naim boxes came with the bog standard leads and everyone was happy. Then the PowerLine arrived and they became the must have accessory. Iā€™ve recently sold all mine and gone back to the standard leads and canā€™t say I missed them. So donā€™t get too excited and think spending the Ā£600 will change your life. Iā€™d just enjoy your lovely new system. There is a massive industry selling alternative this and that - wires, feet, weird stuff you donā€™t need. Everyone has their little favourite and while they may change the sound they rarely give a solid improvement. Itā€™s easy to think something is better, spend a load of money and then after a couple of days realise itā€™s actually worse.

2 Likes

I just knew that my tracks would work for her, the advantages of long-term relationships, but of course every person is different in what they like. Good luck :slight_smile: and thanks for your tracks, will listen

I love how this thread is covering power cables and keeping WAGs happy alternately.

Totorobut I know you are right; I think probably Iā€™ll let everything settle, decide whether I prefer the Blues or the Blacks etc. and then consider the dedicated power feed.

The main thing is the listening with the port in hand.

1 Like

Its true a dedicated mains amplifies the effect of a Power-Lineā€¦

In the interests of harmony on here Iā€™ve ordered a new power cable and Iā€™ll get a dedicated line in at some point. Never would have thought of that but I can see the rationale.

I assume any old line to the CU is sufficient, rather than installing a separate CU? I have capacity on the existing and itā€™s not too far from the lounge where the gear is.

Itā€™s just about getting a separate ring which isnā€™t subject to noise from other equipment?

Thanks again for all the advice. Now my dream is to hear Thom Yorkeā€™s lyrics AND make my wife cry. Probably not at the same time though, sheā€™s more of a Jason Donovan fan.

1 Like

You want to split the meter tails and install a small separate CU with a high rated type C breaker. Then run 10mm2 cable to an unswitched socket. Take the Earth from the new CU back to the meter, donā€™t piggy back off the existing CU. Thatā€™s it really. The way you are going it sounds like youā€™ll have more boxes sooner than youā€™d think. Just donā€™t get carried away.

I didnā€™t hear that much difference, and mine passed way 100+ hours. I even left music on at night in the first few days on a lower level. Resting the Nova for a few hours a day only. Still, I think the lower end opened up, but because of the speaker suspension got to the right level. How would you describe the ā€œedgeā€?

Iā€™ve just subscribed to Qobuz for Ā£14.99 on the website. Did you have a student discount? :yum:

40 years ago maybe :rofl: