Next upgrade: more from the bass!

What you needed to do was to let your gear get the AC power it needed.

2 Likes

Why did you assume that because and milk were affected they were distressed? They might have just been very happy, or perhaps bopped around to the music, turning the milk to butter!

2 Likes

I have Dynaudio Confidence 20s. They are great speakers but light on bass. They are powered by a 250DR from 2022 with a Nova as pre-amp and streamer (no room for multi-boxes). I added 2 REL T/9X subs. I resisted for years as I thought the idea of subs was wrong. My error. They don’t create a boomy sound - I cannot even tell they are there except when you turn them off. With them on the sound is richer, fuller, deeper

4 Likes

I have a pair of S510’s with my Atc 40’s, and agree with your description, a much more cohesive sound.

1 Like

To be fair to Graham, I had heard this story many years before I ever knew of this forum. I think it was during a tour of HTV studios in Bristol where we were surprised to see equipment clearly labeled “property of BBC”.
I agree it seems surprising, have a read and look at the plots on the Mark Hennesey site.

Most speakers will play better with a subwoofer or four.

Though it worth remembering most bass drums peak around 60 to 80 Hz, but the key thing is the sharp treble transient… to give the sound and timing… the sub bass is for moving the air, and reinforcing, to give the pressure feel as opposed to the musical feel.
With hifi getting the phase between sub bass reinforcement and the higher frequency drivers is key to avoid a non musical mess… though works well for SFX in films etc.

I would like to differ - they might play better but installing the sub correctly will sometimes be pita … I gave up
And 606 has 2 subwoofers - each one installed in their cabinets :laughing:

1 Like

This may have improved SQ compared to what came before (slate floating on carpet) - but floorboards will vibrate/resonate with heavy speakers spiked into them.

1 Like

Personally I’d go for a sub. I have a 282/250DR and recently added a second hicap DR and a Rel T5x Sub. The second hicap was pretty underwhelming as far as upgrades go in my opinion. The sub, on the other hand? It will give you exactly what you’re looking for.

1 Like

I’d do the full Powerline loom and get a decent power block. I’d be surprised if that didn’t add quite a bit more weight to the presentation.

Ah, I see you have the M6, so just the Powerline loom then for the 555PS and HiCAP :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Yes M6 added a lot! Just a shame it cost so much, but is similar to a black box upgraded (more than adding a supercap anyway, to my ears at least).

3 Likes

Have you tried a equally priced subwoofer compared to the PowerHaus?

I guess an active component, will give more than an passive component.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.