Nice Photos

Some of you might recognise the place. But look closely at the date and the damage …
(obviously not one of my own photos !)

2 Likes

La grand entree of my mum’s new house.

Well, apart from the floor…

10 Likes

Not many traffic jams. London presumably.

1 Like

Just had a look at current Google Maps. Finsbury Circus was the giveaway. Interesting.

1 Like

It’s interesting as you pick through more details - top right you have Liverpool Street AND Broad Street, as well as the goods depot for Broad St. But what threw me by Finsbury Circus is what I presume must be Moorgate Station. London Wall then looks very thin compared to today. And all the damage - the area to the North and West of the Guildhall. What was the actual target?

I remember how that area looked when I started work - all the 50s/60s buildings around Gresham St, Wood St etc many of which have now been replaced themselves. Broad St was replaced by Broadgate which itself was replaced not too long afterwards. I do find an old picture fascinating!

5 Likes

You can see where the Barbican is going to be developed.

5 Likes

That’s right. Centred more or less on the Bank of England.
And although the photo was taken approx 3 years after the end of the war in Europe, there is still an awful lot of damage to be seen.

3 Likes

I used to work for the City Corporation c.20 years ago - all the leases for the post-war grot on Gresham St / Wood St were up at the same time - comprehensive redevelopment followed (again) - a massive building site for a decade or more. The new buildings are considerably better than the old, though the scale of some of them are overbearing (IMO). The building I worked in had to be redesigned when they (finally) discovered the location of the Roman amphitheatre while digging the foundations. What is left of the amphitheatre is open to the public - strange to consider you have to go down two flights of stairs to get to the Roman street level.

5 Likes

Sparrow hawk visited its feeding station - our bird table.

23 Likes

Pretty sure we’d all prefer to see a nice photo of the outside of the house, so we can judge how rich they are.

1 Like

Taking the thread title literally - needless to say we are not staying here.

7 Likes

All getting a bit airborne today in Norwich

15 Likes

They? And she isn’t.

1 Like

Les Montagnes Urbaines

10 Likes

Bucking the Breeze

Imgur

21 Likes

The Negresco has just featured on ‘Great Continental Railway Journeys’.

Spooky, as I’d just been looking at your photo and wondering which building it was!

G

3 Likes

Complete control

6 Likes

Light and shadow, Glenlivet, Moray.

Cheers,

Ian

50 Likes

Gorgeous light, Ian, thank you.

C.

1 Like

So nice.