Nice Photos

What an awesome spot to get married Sandy. We had a great meal at the Wickaninnish and were staying a bit further south in the Pacific Sands.

Glad to hear your equipment is ready, hope it sounds great again and the 2 gets some love. If you haven’t found it already, I can’t recommend enough The Camera Store on 11th, I got all my Nikon gear there and its not too far east of the Audio Room…

1 Like

Unexpected item in bagging area

6 Likes

Thanks…interested to know your thoughts on the D850 please…

And did you consider the D780?

Thanks

fergch, I’ll give my 2 cents. I went from a D200 → D700 in 2009 (by way of insurance, as someone wanted my D200 more than me and so I took the opportunity to go DX to FX), I went D850 in 2018. I like the familiarity of the hold and button layout, the improved shutter speed, larger sensor (not so much on the file storage increase mind) and the video recording and the fact all my lenses still fit. I’m not a fan of the XQD card, so I predominately use SDXC. The Z series hadn’t been released then, and I’m not too keen to have a do over on the lenses et al now. I would say it all depends on what you need, do you print large pics, shoot action / animals, shoot in bright iso64 or dark skies then the 850 might be for you. From what I have read, the 780 borrows from the Z6 and is better for video, but if pictures are your key goal… I guess I should post some pics to this thread !

2 Likes

Thanks, you made good use of the insurance payout, and have ended up with a very decent camera, the likely last Nikon full frame DSLR. Nikon want you (and me) to buy into the Z series, cheaper to manufacture, so more profit - familiar story.
I used DX for a long time (D90 and D7200) and also used a D610 for a couple of months, - now sold.
Choice now between the D850 and D780…
I too see no advantage to change to the Z series, just a bit of extra fluff technology, maybe lighter, maybe the Z lenses are better for pixel peepers, and of course extra cost to change everything.
D850…huge files to process, and extra (expensive) XDQ cards, my old computers may not cope…
D780…“FX sweet spot” for file size and quality, I have got the cards and the lens, computers coping…

I have some pictures in the Nice Photos above in the thread but not everyone thinks they are “Nice Photos”.
I have made a few Blurb books for friends, and family consumption.

1 Like

I had the D750 when the D500 was released so I figured I would get that one as well since it was better for action photography and was DX which would extend the reach on my telephoto lenses.
When the D850 came out I figured it could do everything in one body so I sold both my D750 and D500 and went with it. Extra pixels meant I could crop more plus it has a DX mode which I could use as another option. File sizes are adjustable in settings if you need smaller ones for older systems too. It really its a do it all camera and as much camera as I’ll ever need. D780 wasn’t out at the time I did all my camera swapping but I still probably would have bought the 850.

4 Likes

While the national parks are oversubscribed in the summer months there are still plenty of opportunities in places like the Purcell Wilderness area in south eastern British Columbia. Less people, less bureaucracy, and plenty of beautiful mountain scenery. As long as you have a vehicle that can get up the logging roads (many are not a big deal), there are many options.

3 Likes

Summer above the River Findhorn valley, with the heather starting to bloom.

Cheers,

Ian

34 Likes

Sprouting

17 Likes

Sydney harbour - 26 June 2024

31 Likes

Melbourne - 27 June 2024

37 Likes

With the MCG in the bottom right hand corner

4 Likes

Have you been planting bulbs in that nice lawn in Sidney, ID?

3 Likes

Sydney young man, Sydney. :grin:

5 Likes

Has HH given YOU (of all people) permission to join the Spelling Police Force on this Forum ?? :1st_place_medal: :sunglasses:

5 Likes

No and it was in jest. It’s my Aussie humour.

4 Likes

Pretty bizarre juxtaposition at Chalke Valley today.

11 Likes

It is certainly not St James’s park in the bottom rh corner.

1 Like

Hammersmith is a fine place to walk on a summers evening.

19 Likes

Salut!

25 Likes