Nightwish - Birmingham'21 and beyond

Just posted by Floor. From 2019.

1 Like

With that style, she should hook up or collaborate with Exit Eden now that they’ve lost a member :crazy_face:

Marko already has after all!

1 Like

Lols… :crazy_face:

Problem is - if I understand correctly - Exit Eden have lost their key member, in Amanda Sommerville.

Maybe she could guest, as Simone Simons has done…?

1 Like

Although Amanda Somerville formed Exit Eden, I think both she and Clementine DeLauney were the ‘main’ lead singers though the others have good voices too, and were used more in a few tracks.

I enjoyed the Exit Eden cover version videos on YouTube from the first album and was hoping they’d release a second album, but wondered if they’d use original material for that.

Amanda apparently reluctantly left due to wanting more time with her family, and the remaining 3 stated they were not looking for a replacement so maybe having featured artists is their plan. I’ve not scoured the track listing for the imminent second album yet but I assume most songs on the second are originals rather than cover versions.

I think Floor has enough to do, with Nightwish and her solo career.

I wouldn’t wish another bout of burn-out on her… :expressionless:

Probably correct on that but the genre itself does seem to have an abundance of collaboration between various artists/singers, and in many ways it seems quite a cosy community of talent as we’ve seen from the Ayreon releases over the years as well as many guest performances on stage.

1 Like

Looks like Floor - or more likely her team - have posted a number of historical videos, from here recent past. You can find them all here -

FloorJansenOfficial Videos on YouTube

2 Likes

This popped up this evening formed the background to cooking the evening meal (tea for us Northerners). Don’t shoot me for the subject matter.

Sit down, put your feet up preferably with a glass of your favourite liquid, it’s 40 minutes long and isn’t your typical YT reaction / analysis.

He starts with the Tarja studio version from Once then moves straight on to somewhere called Wacken 10 years ago with the new singer? Floor?.

I must say I probably haven’t listened to the studio version more than once (excuse the pun), cos I got sick of Wacken it’s very different.

GLS

2 Likes

Just checking some dates here…

Wacken 2013 - 3rd August 2013.

Floor Jansen announced as permanent Nightwish’s singer - 9th Oct 2013.

So… when the (now famous) Wacken version of GLS was performed and recorded, Floor was not a full member of Nightwish…??

Have I got this right…??? :astonished: :astonished: :astonished:

1 Like

I believe so.

Posted September 10, 2020

09 Oct

I am the new singer of Nightwish!

Dear reader,

with great pride and emotions beyond words I can tell you I will stay in Nightwish!!! My dear ‘brother’ Troy will as well!!! This is the official press statement to be found on the website of Nightwish:

Press release // October 9th 2013

Ms. Floor Jansen is a keeper.

Also, we will be a six-piece band from now on, as Mr. Troy Donockley (uilleann pipes, low whistles, vocals) will become a full-time member of NIGHTWISH.

Originally we were going to wait until 2014 to make a decision about the future line-up of the band, but the past year has clearly shown us that Floor and Troy are perfect matching pieces to our puzzle, and we are really grateful of the bond that has grown between all of us. We love you guys.

Tuomas

Marco

Jukka

Emppu

Commented vocalist Floor Jansen: “Words cannot describe what I feel! This union is beyond everything and I cannot tell you how wonderful it is to continue this amazing journey with my new brothers! Once I had a dream…and this is it!!!”

Piper/whistleman, added vocalist Troy Donockley: "`Imaginaerum World Tour´was a revelation to me and in that time, I became aware of a growing unity and then, finally, a transcendence of all the usual nonsense that affects bands. A beautiful process. And since the idea, the musical dream that is NIGHTWISH has been a part of me since before I was born, I am delighted to officially sail into uncharted waters with my brothers and sister. Wondrous scenes Ahoy! "

1 Like

That’s right. Floor was called to step in to replace Annette during the Imaginaerum tour after the kerfuffle that occurred during the US leg of the tour. Annette was taken one evening to hospital for sickness (she was pregnant), at the very last minute, while the supporting act were already playing. Instead of cancelling their performance, Nightwish asked the two (female) lead singers of the supporting act if they could replace Annette that night. They agreed and were given 45 minutes to learn a slimmed down setlist. The concert went well and saved the day.

Except that the day after, Annette issued through social media less than gracious comments about these 2 singers. This is what triggered Nightwish to “temporarily replace Annette until she feels better”, in effect firing her.

it has emerged since then that Floor had already been contacted by the band way before. Seems to me they knew Annette simply didn’t fit the Nightwish sound and were looking for a reason to part ways with her.

2 Likes

My understanding is that Floor had been contacted by Nightwish management around May time in 2013, to ask if she could provide maternity cover for Annette…?

The incident with Annette caused a call to be made, earlier than planned. Floor was at her sister Irene’s wedding. She was asked could she fly to the US ‘now’. She said yes…

‘Please Learn the Setlist in 48 Hours’. Floor’s fist show was Seattle I think… :slightly_smiling_face:

I think she has got the hang of it now…!!!

2 Likes

Yep, I think that’s right, although “recollections may differ” depending on who you speak to. There is a fascinating interview on YouTube of Annette for the launch of her first post-Nightwish album. She was clearly still bitter about what happened and spilled some juicy beans. Basically she never felt very secure in her job as Nightwish lead singer, especially as there was a certain name, Floor Jansen, floating around even early on.

1 Like

Interesting… At that time (of Annete joining - in 2006), FJ was not available - being still will After Forever. So she was not an option for Nightwish at that time.

By 2013, After Forever was not more - and ReVamp had imploded. The rest… we know…

Marko & Tarja - !!

1 Like

The dedicated Ayreon thread is closed and I know the project has been discussed here in the past so apologies @IanRobertM for minor thread drift.

Had email this morning and YT suggested this from the tall hippie dude

Concert DVD of 010…. Due May 2024

Taster released into wild

Wish I could have been ther

3 Likes

Ayreon is allowed - I declare it so…!!!

Guess a Official DVD release is nice… But… a lot of the concert(s) has already appeared on YouTube, albeit from unofficial sources.

1 Like

Ahh managed to miss those. Won’t go looking.

May still be there… ??

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=ayreon+tilburg+2023

:crazy_face:

How about this…?

This … means a new album from Arjen… :astonished: :smiley:

2 Likes