No sound from 552 (shorted Snaic 5)

Wouldn’t it be nice if Naim could just supply Chris with parts? I mean how hard is that?

I follow a you tube channel that goes by “Audible Elegance” The last video was like déjà vu, just incredible and sickening familiar.

1 Like

It’s weird, because our local hi-fi repair shop are service agents for Westan, the new Naim distributer. And they told me a few months ago that they couldn’t get Naim parts and were using other sources to repair old Naim kit - they had just done some PS recaps.

4 Likes

I wonder if they sound better :joy:
Seriously check that video out and its comments.

1 Like

There’s thread about that video that I posted a few days ago - dealers leaving Naim.

2 Likes

ha ha, i thought about posting it but thought i’d be reprimanded. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

My dealer made mine up from a couple of din to clr cables, i stupidly did not watch😬

2 Likes

Why am I not surprised :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Okay, so the NAC552 and 552PS are going back for another repair. They are going to check the power leads, as the suspect is a faulty SNAIC.

3 Likes

You don’t have a multimeter so you can measure connections end to end on the snaic? Put it on “summer” mode so it beeps and measure pin to pin. Now it might be intermittent issues so it’s hard to measure but in this case and if it is the snaic it sounds more like it is broken.

1 Like

I don’t, but my mate could do that. But my dealer was very adamant to get it sent to them regardless. Irrespective of the snaic, they need to fix what’s failed. I sent them two snaics, they checked with one, but I installed the other on the first power up.

Well, I don’t really know. I’m out of my depth and trust the ex-Naim guys to do their magic. Mrs Mike is suggesting a change of amp if it can be done cost neutral. That discussion can wait for another day.

4 Likes

Here you go Mike. Nova pre out to 300. Pictured from the solder side of the plugs.

Hope the 552 fix doesn’t take long :+1:

5 Likes

That’s great, thank you very much.

2 Likes

So how is it possible ? They repaired the 552 and checked, and still not working ? And the cables work because you tried the lavender too.

Haven’t read it all, but could this be a sticking relay once again?
Tried using the rca out rather than din?

From another Kiwi Naim owner, although not in your league, I do hope that you can get it all fixed locally Mike. I’m sure the Real Music team will be to get it sorted out for you…

2 Likes

I’ve two sets of Burndy and Snaic for the 552. They checked with one set, but not the other, and I used the second set when I powered up and that was the set I had when I powered up when we got home from holiday. It’s just a suspicion at this stage, they all need testing to see whether that’s an issue, because we think the same fault has repeated itself, so cabling is one of the variables for a potential fault.

4 Likes

The ND555 and LP12, and the 300 all work, the fault is with the 552DR, the 552PS or the cables connecting them.

1 Like

Cheers, how do you find the 250NC off your Nova? I’m using my ND555 and LP12 through my Nova whilst things are sorted out, it’s surprisingly good - I even have another thread about that. I’m hoping to get a cable made to run the 300DR off the Nova as a comparison, as it’s an attractive down-grade option at no cost.

Hopefully it won’t be necessary. Longer term a Nova between a 555 and a 300 would be a huge bottkeneck, and you would be far better with a 282/Hicap. Using a Nova as a preamp is far from ideal.

Yes, it probably is, But I have all of those, the resale market has crashed, and I won’t be buying new Naim as it’s not supported here, and I don’t want 3 boxes with a 282. Hopefully, normal 552 service will resume shortly and the only thing left to worry about will be whether the relay in the ND555 will go once it’s out of warranty like it did in my NDX2 and there is no-one here to fix it.