No sound from 552 (shorted Snaic 5)

Just checked, ND555 and LP12 play okay through the DIN connections on the Nova, so will put 552 back in and replug everything. Give me 10 minutes.

1 Like

It is on the diagrams in the manuals, as the DIN XLRs are handed and the standard cables are coloured red and green.

4 Likes

Hmm, that’s not in my printed manual.

1 Like

If you cannot find a Naim manual on the main website, type in ‘Naim 552 Manual’ in to a search engine and you should get suitable help. Some of Naim’s manuals are more information booklets, and 2 were provided with many models, the other being with all the connection guides.

Of course, the old Naim website was much easier to use, and everything was far more accessible.

5 Likes

Its from the… elusive… Connections Guide - which has been AWOL for ages now… :open_mouth:

Naim Audio Part No. 12-001-0267 Iss. 2C

Okay, still no sound. I’ve tried the standard DIN to XLR as well, red lead is on Chn 2 right. Done a factory re-set and check the input mapping.

I’m probably at the end of the road with checking cables and inputs. I’ll discuss options with the ex-Naim dealer this morning. I think from here, it’s either send the 552/300 and PS’s back for checking - only the 552 was sent last time, which had the fault fix. Or, get a cable made up to test the 300 off my Nova, a local friend might be able to do that, otherwise my dealer - I think I favour that option, it will establish whether the 300 is okay and I can use that longer term depending on how we get on with the 552. If it needs to go to the UK, I will have to seriously consider writing it off unfortunately. But let’s walk this through logically and not panic too much.

Thanks everyone for your help.

3 Likes

You can connect the 300 to the Nova with the leads you have. Just use one wire at a time, making sure that the red one is connected to ch2 and the green to ch1 on the 300. You’ll only get one channel at a time of course, but if it works you’ll know that the 300 is ok.

Have a quick check, or I won’t be able to sleep!!

9 Likes

Ch2 is the right one, when looking from the back?

Yes. It has ch2 written above the socket.

Great, the NAP300 works, I’ve checked through both channels off the Nova. That narrows the path down a bit.

8 Likes

Was thinking of the same before you posted, but was not sure.

Great. So the 300 is fine, and the 552 has issues. One question - in your haste to put the 552 back in, have you connected both the Snaic 5 and the Burndy between the head unit and power supply? Obviously you’ve checked that the mute isn’t on, so I won’t suggest that one!!!

Yes, I reconnected both of these again today. I have two-sets and have tried them both.

It’s been pushed more times than I care to remember. We initially though the issue was a stuck mute relay.

Fortunately, the original/previous importer and his network of Salesman standby what they have sold. Unfortunately, they are not supported any longer.
50 years in the game and look at what it’s come down to. Im very sorry for you Mike a £50,000 + sytem, back in the day JV may of sent a technician by aeroplane to sort it, Oh thats right, not to NZ he had Chris to do it.
I see a bit of a fire sale in a store in Auckland, New ND555,NDX2 almost 1/2 price, 250 DR less than 1/2 and even the new gear is more than a 1/3 and some off. Me not even tempted particularly after reading this thread.
As for me my favourite audio sound is no longer my favourite audio company.

Hey who cares they obviously do not.

3 Likes

Chris did the repair. But I do worry that if we need parts this time, I’m screwed. Plan B will be running the 300 of the Nova permanently with the ND555 and LP12 as sources. I’m not in the position for a very expensive repair in the UK or a replacement pre-amp, and resale prices are to low to exit. Hopefully the 552 can be repaired locally.

Mike, is there a delay on the 552 after being powered up? My snaxo only puts sound thru after a few mins after being powered up.

No, the mute comes off after about 10 seconds from powering up.

1 Like

Does anyone know what exactly the cable for a Nova to NAP300 would look like, just 4 pin DIN on Nova to a pair of XLR’s with some wires not connected. @Gazza - you had this set-up once.