No sound from 552 (shorted Snaic 5)

Hi Mike, Yes, you could do that.

It’s easy to get the bits and make up a new DIN4 to 2x XLR cable though, as if you were to ever sell the 300, the supplied DIN4 to XLR cables should go with it.

1 Like

Update is that the same DR regulator had failed again, which was traced back to a short in the SNAIC. Just pretty bad luck apparently.

Should be here in a few days.

Can I check which inputs to use? Input 2 (CD) for ND555, Input 6 (Aux) for LP12 and input 5 (AV) to output to the headphone amp?

15 Likes

So, is the DR regulator in the 552 PS? I wasn’t aware there are any DR regulators in the NAC552(?)

You do not want a short in your SNAIC… :snake:

2 Likes

It will be. As you say, there are no DR modules in the 552 head unit.

1 Like

Do i understand correctly - a bad cable (snaic with a short) caused all the trouble?

2 Likes

Yes, that’s corrrct.

3 Likes

Bu**er😥

3 Likes

Sometimes it takes time to find what’s wrong, a cable that crosses is not the easiest, kudos to the good and persistent support of your previous Naim dealer and your own patience!

7 Likes

When I read about Din’s and Burundi’s and Snacks… I’m SO happy my setup uses standard cables. XLR’s , USB, Ethernet. It seems as if Naim is stuck between the old and new.

1 Like

Respectfully , If you look into it you will find Naim cables are very reliable and very very effective for music replay in Naim systems. Very simple and not even close to confusing.

4 Likes

But a snaic is a standard cable - and in very rare cases it could also happen to a cable, even a naim one.
Naim cables are really reliable as already mentioned

2 Likes

You bought a quiet 552

1 Like

Do you know, was it a short in the cable or the DIN terminations (?), as one of the risks with DINs is that a stray fine strand/even a strand of solder can bridge the cable/pin terminations.

1 Like

It was a short in the cable, a few cms from the DIN plug. It’s rare, but happens unfortunately.

4 Likes

And…… we have :musical_score::musical_score::guitar::guitar::sunglasses::sunglasses:

Gosh, I’d forgotten just how good the 552 is. The window is right open.

28 Likes

Wonderful ! It was quick finally. You will enjoy still more now, after all this bothering.

1 Like

Great News

1 Like

Great news👍

1 Like

That’s excellent. Let’s hope it remains trouble free.

1 Like