Non Naim tuners

I always dreamed at the time of Technics ST-G7, but was way out of my reach…just drooled through the window at Lasky’s.

2 Likes

Thank you Clive

One of my favourite old tuners, loved the odd colour scheme.
320full

3 Likes

Restek Scalar II in use here, sounds really enjoyable, despite the almost non-existing antenna situation here.
With its external linear power supply, it‘s black case and the dimmable display it also fits nicely to the rest of the system.
As a bonus the naim remote can control the most important functionalities of the Restek.

2 Likes

Hi richard, I know its off topic but did’nt want to start a new one . do you know what the ideal signal strength is for a olive nat 01 and if i can get a new gray inter connect for said tuner.

I can’t recall the level that gets you full muting on the NAT01. I’ll see if I have it in a file somewhere.

Yes, the lavender grey interconnect can be purchased separately from your Naim dealer.

Quad FM2 … now resident and sounding good in the workshop NAIT 3 - ES14 system

5 Likes

thanks for your help. neil

My rather nice Magnum Dynalab Tube , a cracking and at the moment crackly tuner

My thirty year old NAT 03 is standing in valiantly for it.

Probably the key component during Lockdown

4 Likes

That takes me back. Quad’s last valve FM tuner (but with transistors in the stereo decoder). It’s a long time ago that I unpacked my new FM2 out of its box and I owned quite a few other Quad tuners since I sold that one on.

The FM2 had a rather rudimentary way of indicating where the stations were. Quad supplied a sheet with a few magnetic white discs about 3/16 inch in diameter and you were supposed to put one disc behind the pointer on the tuning dial for each station. It was a devil’s own job to get them lined up straight with one another. I think it looks better like that without them!

Best

David

2 Likes

Here’s for another Magnum Dynalab: an MD-107.

It replaced yesterday my trusty 2004 MD-100 which I decided to replace not because I didn’t like it but because I am listening to radio about half of the time and wanted to get the best of FM radio I could, in particular live concerts.

First very interesting concert yesterday night. I am looking forward for more.

9 Likes

Going off-topic for a moment, who’s the artist for that lovely plate sculpture on top of the tuner?

The plate comes from the collection of Venini master glassmaker from Murano. It was designed by the Finnish designer Tapio Virkkala who in the early 80’s who was invited by Venini to work with them.

The colors are fantastic and don’t show well on the picture.

It’s a beautiful beautiful piece of glass, thanks for the information.

Thought it was the aerial.

3 Likes

Surprised the tandberg tuners haven’t been mentioned. I had the 3011 in the traditional black with rosewood end-caps. The 3001 was just too darn pricey

5 Likes

Question folks…does a tuner sound better than 320k mp3 played by NDS or NDX?
Tx

Remember having a very slim Technics tuner which I remember as being very good but lacking in “street cred” , I think we are far more likely to notice when a component is left behind in quality vis a vis the rest of the system than when it is of similar quality.

If we step back a moment, just look at a tuner for a moment, no moving parts , no heavy amounts of power, no reliance on apps, programmes , routers and all that malarkey , is it any wonder that good quality tuners (Naim or not) produce good quality sound when fed via a good aerial

What lets tuners down is the :poop: :poop: :poop: sound from so many stations .

With the honourable exceptions of Radio 3 & 4.

So let us treasure what is good

2 Likes

I had a slimline technics from Laskys…£99 in the day…a lot of money 35 years ago

1 Like

There is absolutely no comparison. FM is miles ahead. And for live performances it can better high res files replays in terms of presence and live music feel.

If your country provides nice live performance transmission, I would highly recommend an FM tuner.

4 Likes