Not "liking" legendary bands or artists

I gotta say TheKevster’s post made me chuckle out loud! Brightened my morning.

If anything his musical tastes are some of the more diverse on this forum. But like us all, there’s some that don’t take his fancy. And this is the thread for that. I greatly appreciated the honesty on display X)

Don’t, whatever you do, ask him about Adele.

5 Likes

Throbbing Gristle.

5 Likes

As we all seem to be getting things off our chests I cannot stand Micheal Jackson and not just because he was an absolute wrong un.

Rush I just don’t get at all they are terrible ditto Steeley Dan especially that Aja album.

Jennifer Warnes’ Famous Blue Rain Coat is bland rubbish as is Ricky Lee Jones.

Def Leopard, Saxon, Rainbow and anything remotely like it is just awful.

I could go on.

Lots to disagree with here, which is rather the point of the thread.

I am surprised that FZ hasn’t turned up more often, but also surprised to see him criticised for not being clever. He seems to have fooled a lot of people, from Lennon and Bowie to Vaclav Havel, Slonimsky, Neidlinger and a lot of people making ‘difficult’ classical music. It might be worth you trying Hot Rats and/ or Yellow Shark, just to be sure.

Also, is it only his voice, or are you also appalled by Elvis Costello’s song-writing?

1 Like

surprised to see him criticised for not being clever.

I didn’t say he wasn’t clever (and intelligent) Nick because he obviously was. Just not as clever as everyone thought he and his music was. I have a number of friends who are real Zappa heads and they’ve been playing his music to me for years. I just can’t get on with it, apart from Freak Out!. Hot Rats is OK, but only that. I also find his obsession with groupies really, really creepy. I should love Zappa really, he ticks a lot of boxes with me, given his love of the European avant-garde, doo-wop and Johnny Guitar Watson. But I don’t.

Also, is it only his voice, or are you also appalled by Elvis Costello’s song-writing?

Mostly his voice, which I can’t stand, but I find his songwriting a bit meh. And his hanging on the coat-tails of superior songsmiths such as Macca and Bacharach is opportunistic and pretentious.

1 Like

I’d forgotten about her. She’s awful.

Still don’t understand the point of your thread, it’s perfectly fine to like what you like, regardless of what other people think of your taste. Now if you don’t like the Beatles as you write, well, neither do I, but who cares, except yourself?

Rickie Lee Jones! Thems there’s fighin’ words.:grin:

2 Likes

Well, that’s fine ofcourse, but lots of others appear to see the point .
Other threads are available.

1 Like

I like her cover of For No One. Not really familiar with her other stuff, but I think awful is a little harsh, to say the least.

1 Like

Just spotted this interesting thread. I agree with some of the comments about changing listening preferences. In my teens I listened to mainly Rush, Deep Purple, Pink Floyd, Camel, Marillion, Iron Maiden, Led Zeppelin, Genesis, Peter Gabriel and pretty much anything else Rock genre. Today I very rarely listen to any of that and am most likely to be listening to Prefab Sprout, Everything but the girl, Chemical brothers, Alan Parsons Project, Beck, Enigma, Paul Weller, Stereophonics according to my Spotify recommendations. I also have a greater urge to discover stuff I’ve never listened to before, Christian McBride being one example. I think the system I now have plays a big part in my changing tastes as it’s as much about the “Sound” as the “Song” these days for me.

I did recently plough through every one of David Bowie’s back catalogue and to be honest there is nothing that isn’t on “Legacy” that I would want to listen to again.

1 Like

We are having a bad day today in one or two of these threads aren’t we? :grimacing:. Time to go to the tip.

2 Likes

Not quit sure why things turned a bit tetchy,I asked for some advice/pointers around classical music and Graham very kindly offered up some suggestions,if anyone else wanted to offer up their thoughts,that’s fine,if they differ to Graham’s,that’s also fine, I’m willing to listen to other ideas.Once again I thank Graham for taking the time to put forward his suggestions for me.

1 Like

:rofl::rofl::rofl:. That made me spit my lunch out !

6 Likes

Lyric sheet essential if you must listen. :joy:
I heard at a party gathering once and he was on the hi fi loud and a guy came into the kitchen and said who’s the pis#&£d old fart on the karaoke. :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

2 Likes

I think it was the value judgment implicit in Graham’s “Any decent classical … collection” which rather offended me and perhaps IB. As someone who has built up a collection of recorded classical music over more than half a century and listened exclusively to classical for several decades, I did feel that my collection was pretty “decent” even though it omitted a substantial chunk of Graham’s list. Rather than grumble though I’ll make a few suggestions of other pieces which I think make good starting points for someone just getting into classical.

Berlioz: Fantastic Symphony. Very dramatic and easy to listen to – lots of good performances.

Tchaikovsky symphonies, particularly 4, 5 and 6. There’s a set of these three in whirlwind performances conducted by Yevgeny Mravinsky which have me on the edge of my seat whenever I listen.

Mendelssohn: Octet. This is much gentler music, but from the life-enhancing opening to the final movement and the astonishing scherzo, it always has me hooked. I have a performance by the Academy of St Martin in the Fields.

There is so, so much more but I reckon these make particularly good entry points.

Roger

Thanks for the suggestions Roger,will be checking them out,so much to explore,but will definitely report back on my thoughts,thanks again.
Keith.

I think you just made the point I was trying to make far more clearly!

It seemed a pretty helpful post to me, naturally others will have their own ‘core’ works they’d recommend - frankly the more recommendations like yours the better, I have quite a bit of overlap in my rather limited classical collection.

Largely agree though I have a soft spot for Queen as a camp precursor of Madness :wink:

Quite liked some early Genesis discovered a decade or two after release, but the poppy stuff, no thanks.

Reviews of Cassidy and Bonamassa have prompted some past purchases which haven’t lived up to the expectations, but so many reviews are in the eyes of the beholder.

2 Likes