Not "liking" legendary bands or artists

I would say for me it is the other way around, despite being in my mid-60s, probably 75% to 80% recent releases. I do like listening to some of the 20th Century records I have but the vast majority of my listening is to music recorded in the last 20 to 25 years ago. I rarely buy releases of ancient albums, under 5%, partly because I have the ones I want but mostly because the is so much great music being made now by younger artists. Which I know statistically makes me unusual as most people stick with the music they discovered up to around their late 20s. I have a couple of good friends who are the same but most of my friends still mostly listen to the music they were listening to in their teens and 20s. Not a right or wrong in this, just an example of how we are all different.

And writing this post, reminded me that I got Jeff Buckleyā€™s Grace from a charity shop a while back, whilst I donā€™t actively dislike it, I find it very uninspiring, I can see why people rate it, but not for me. Should I be getting my coat after sharing this admission?

1 Like

What are the legendary bands you dislike ? There must be some .

Elo ,Queen, Jethro tull, Yes, Genesis ,deep purple ,and many more also pop dislike

1 Like

Iā€™m with you on enjoying more recent music. There is some music from the 60s to 80s that I listen to reasonably often, but not a great deal. Iā€™m only 72, though.

1 Like

There is stuff which has lived with me forever and thatā€™s fine but I would consider myself effectively dead if I took no interest in new music. If you have a cut off date - music went downhill from 1975 etc. - or even a ā€œnothing from that genre everā€ rule then same really. Without curiosity life is nothing.

1 Like

There is a difference between curiosity and liking! And even if someone no longer has much curiosity about new music, whether or not based on experience of frequency of liking, they may be immensely curious about other things so if curiosity is essential for life to not be nothing then they may be well fullfilled without having much or any interest in recent music or even in music new to them, however old the music is.

Spot in young man life without curiosity would be boring also one thing Iā€™ve learnt is to never say never.

There are two FZ albums I really like and play often. Sadly, I extrapolated that and assumed there were more and bought a few others.

That was a big mistake.

If everything was just like Apostrophe and Overnight Sensation it would have been fine.

Looking forward to a damp, wet old day on site and that really made me chuckle.

1 Like

Yes, that can be a risky thing to do, and more so with some artists than others because whilst it is quite common for musical quality and even style of output to change over time, some artists can be very variable.

1 Like

While thereā€™s the odd track I really like Iā€™m not a huge fan of of Led Zeppelin. Donā€™t hate them just donā€™t get what all the fuss is about. Iā€™ll get my hat on the way out. :grin:

2 Likes

Led Zeppelinā€¦i like only the slow blues tracks and that`s what i keepā€¦the rest i also dislike

1 Like

Iā€™m the opposite. Like some of the heavy stuff, but no way would I listen the blues stuff.

Amy Winehouse.

Canā€™t stand her voice or vocal style. Definitely overated.

4 Likes

I must admit I find the Rolling Stones overrated
And from a classical perspective I canā€™t abide Glen Gould

1 Like

Their first two albums are a joke.

Still no Haydn :open_mouth:

Three works off the top of my head

Nelson Mass

Military Symphony

The Lark string quartet

Only one passing mention so far as far as I can see, so I want get this one off my chest

David Bowie - peaked with the Laughing Gnome

3 Likes

Canā€™t stand the Stones these days, Should have retired 20 years ago.

2 Likes

I think he peaked with Space oddity, and quite sharply downhill.