Nova Exploded this morning!Literallly!

Thank’s for the answer. I’ll have my Nova in deep sleep when not in use. Anyhow it’s a fantastic all in one player which I’m very happy with!

What is “deep sleep” on a Nova?

The same as deep sleep on any of the newer Unitis. It’s all explained in their online documentation.

1 Like

This worries me as well … would be great if Naim is able to elaborate on this.

5 Likes

Press and hold the power button on the front panel for about 5 seconds. It will power down completely and the app or remote won’t see it. Press the button again to wake it.

2 Likes

Thanks, just tried it but it takes an eternity to fire back up. In what instance would you use the deep sleep feature?

It’s there because manufacturers of anything electronic are required by European regulations to provide a means to reduce power consumption to a negligible level. You have to turn it on again by pressing the power button by and it takes a while to start up, as you discovered.

But putting the unit into network sleep (which is a short press of the same button) means that the Nova (or whatever) is still visible and controllable in the app and if in server mode, can still serve other units on the network.

The flippant answer to why you might use deep sleep is that you might use it if you were worried that your Nova might develop a fault when you weren’t there and blow up your speakers. Personally I always put my Nova into network sleep at night, except when I forget and in that case it stays fully on. I can’t imagine a case when I would actually use deep sleep, but then I am used to leaving Naim kit fully on for months at a time. And anyway my Nova drives an external power amplifier, so doesn’t have any loudspeakers connected to it.

2 Likes

I set my Nova in deep sleep mode every time I finished playing. I don’t use my Nova so often. A couple of times a week I think. It takes about a minute to get it ready to play

1 Like

Would have to agree, though I guess if you’re unlucky for a component to fail, emit smoke and take out a speaker or two directly or indirectly it’s a pretty hairy event.

Naim would clearly want the unit returned in order to glean as much information as possible especially if specific components in affected units fail.

I recall an issue with PC motherboards years ago when many had bulging/leaking capacitors I believe as an unscrupulous manufacturer ‘stole a formula’ and forgot to use one of the chemicals required in the electrolyte resulting in instability.

1 Like

Mine too, and has done for many years. I’ve always wondered why we’re unable to disable the internal power amp circuitry unlike the older Unitis. Bi-amping or even an odd active configuration might be possible but I’ve never tried.

1 Like

“It has been 10 mins and smoke still coming out” - couldn’t wait to post then.

1 Like

Waited 9min 59sec

Update,

Local Naim technician have looked at the damage. It does not look pretty, in fact looks little bad.

As advised by my dealer Nova will need to take journey back to Salisbury for a detailed assessment.

BTW, I have pictures of damaged Nova PCB, not sure if it is OK with Naim to upload here as such would like for someone from Naim to confirm if I’m allowed to post photo of damage here.

Thank you

2 Likes

What’s happening with your speakers? Are Naim taking care of that or do they need to complete analysis first to confirm the Nova was faulty?

Naim not saying anything until they puit their hands on Nova.
Neat bass/mid driver has been replaced. Picking it up tomorrow.

Some of you would be nervous wrecks with valves.

I wasn’t aware of valves commonly taking out speakers? However that might just be my lack of knowledge, having never pursued valve amps. Transistor amps do tend to when the output transistors fail as that often puts quite a significant DC voltage on the output.

Mostly referring to the occasional crackle, smoke or even an exploding valve.

Once watched a driver literally shoot part way across a room. That was at a dealer too. Shouldn’t happen but lots of things shouldn’t happen and nevertheless do.

Yeah a mate has had fireworks many times via rolling his own valves. NOS are mostly knackered. If you are serious, $2k for a valve test machine is really recommended to the point of almost mandatory…

If you use a valve amp with really good selected factory fitted valves, you are safe though. I use a valve amp but am happy to just use the ones selected by Luxman. They reject 60% of brand new ones before fitting the ones that make the grade.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.