Nova Exploded this morning!Literallly!

Linn recalled products in 2004 with similar problems. Owned a pair of LK 240’s
which my dealer sent to Glasgow. Is it not relevant that Naim takes a similar measure? This does’nt seem to be a one-time occurence. By the way I have a Nova…

From the OP’s description that happened to him/her, but was quick enough to turn off and from her/his crude check the speakers might be OK - the test with an amp will confirm.

Faulty Naim Uniti Nova Blew Up my Kanta Nº 2 speaker, help on what to do next I think this is the one @sonwleo was thinking of. Will be interesting to see what naim finds out once they get the chance to look at your nova.

I hope the ops speakers could take the hit!

Unfortunately mine couldn’t as I was in bed asleep and the smoking had already begun. :wink:

Perhaps a product recall is on the cards but I’m no expert.
Just a note that from “my experience” I will no longer leave my new Nova on standby. Off at wall when not in use.

This sounds like the same problem that happened to @FadiNg, also taking out the speakers, but taking an inordinately long time to resolve because complicated by Nove from UK and speakers from France, and he in Spain IIRC, processes affected by both tail-end of COVID and Brexit-related matters

When not in use I always have my Nova in “deep sleep”. But it might be the best to turn it off completely?

I’ve read about FadiNg Nova. Luckily for me my situation has been so far a lot easier to resolve.

The way I see it for me now Radikal is off means Off! :wink:

1 Like

Hi all,

Little update;
Hoped for miracle so I connected Nova back in…and wow, on first glimpse it seems everything works. But still has that strong burning smell about it.
Then I tried to connect speakers, left channel works fine but there is big loud thumb noise when connecting right channel.
Then I connected left channel cables to right speaker and speaker plays music but there is noticeable crackling noise coming out in background…
I think Nova right channel is cooked along with one Neat Speaker. Everything else seems to be fine.
Taking tomorrow both to my dealer for assessment.
Thank you all.
W
Will try to post video somehow of smoke coming out of Nova (I did not notice smoke coming out of speakers terminals then)

https://youtube.com/shorts/Bx-B6PBggvo
Please note video has been taken after Nova has been disconnected and remove from its stand (as you can tell) maybe 5 min after it started smoking…

3 Likes

So you started the new year with a bang!

2 Likes

So not power supply, probably one of the power amp’s output stages. I wouldn’t have connected to the speakers in case doing that causes damage not already done. I thought you were going to test speakers with a spare Creek amp you have, which would be a good idea if you can, verifying whether the one that seems to work is all in order, and what if anything sounds right/wrong with other (I’m anticipating one speaker OK other not).

1 Like

Due to several incidents, I believe that someone from Naim should communicate how we Nova owners should act. Should we have the units in standby via the app, deep sleep or completely off? @NeilS @Richard.Dane

3 Likes

Connected Neats to Creek amp…there is crackling noise and hum from one speaker… other seems to be OK.
Spendors are hooked to Creek 100 amp, streaming Tidal/Spotify thru Sony TV optical into Creek 50 CD/Dac now …Naim Nova and Neats going to dealer tomorrow…

I woke up in the morning and could not see Nova on my network (on Naim app) MuSo was showing.
Noticed that Nova was off. Could not get it started just by pressing on/off button. I made sure unit is off, unplugged it from the main and while it was powering back up (at Naim logo stage), I heard hissing noise from Nova and bang from right channel speaker. I noticed smoke coming out of rear panel I pull the mains off at that stage. And that was it.

1 Like

Best to speak to your dealer or perhaps ask Naim support directly here.

1 Like

Components can fail. This doesn’t mean every nova is about to “go dc” and does not indicate an inherent design fault.
If you wish to be cautious - and that’s your prerogative - have a word with your dealer.

5 Likes

Crackling while music playing, music audible whether or not distorted, likely indicates an overheated voice coil having physically distorted either the coils or former so no longer smoothly cylindrical, thence rubbing in the magnet gap. If that, the cure is a new driver(s) or a “recone” if available for the driver(s). Hum with that speaker but not same channel into the other speaker is less easy to understand.

As I posted on another thread, my first Nova went bang with smoke etc. after owning it for approximately one hour, this was in 2018.
My dealer replaced it with a new unit and it’s been faultless.
When I contacted Naim regarding the issue I was told the engineers would be excited to look at a “smoker” when it was returned. My only gripe was I never had any feedback as to what the problem was.

3 Likes

Sorry to hear about the smoke … hope it’s not too expensive to rectify.

1 Like