Nova setup issues

If the drive was incorrectly formatted I think you would have had problems reading the files in the USB input as well as elsewhere so I suspect that is not your problem.
I find that memory sticks work out of the box but there’s nothing to lose by trying a re-format, other than that it will wipe off the data and you will need to reload it.

My previous post was based on the idea that the streamer may have cached metadata from a previous drive, and become confused by the introduction of one or more new drives (possibly containing some of the same music files as the previous drive?) thus powering down and clearing the cache might help….but this is just speculation.

Is the Nova support page wrong? Says FAT32, NTFS, or HFS

Fat32 works with all Naim streamers, if you are looking for cross compatibility.

Ok, but the OP has a Nova. I guess that it should work with NTFS. But of course reformatting is a good way to rule out certain issues

1 Like

I don’t know how my usb stick was formatted before I reformatted it. But afterwards it was in FATex. On doing a bit of research I have read that FAT32 can only be used on drives up to 32gb. So maybe I can’t use this on my 128gb stick?

From robert_h’s post a bit further up:

I don’t have that particular experience with my Star. I have one of these Aluminium Samsung sticks, it’s formatted on NFTS, and then the Star did the futher folder config itself. Funny enough I have 148 GB on a 256 GB which officially shouldn’t work, but it does. When my Uniti arrived at the start of Lockdown #1, I had already 30% ripped using EAC. When I continued ripping with the Star, I quickly noticed I needed to rename every EAC defined cover art file to ‘coverfront’ to make them show up on the display. Not sure if that helps. Since the Nova doesn’t do any ripping itself, the way that it accesses a USB may be entirely different from a Star.

I think you are correct there. FAT32 can’t handle today’s large storage volumes.

It’s good up to 2 TB.

OK - I think I’m going to bite the bullet. I’m planning to order a Western Digital My Passport Portable SSD 1TB. Unless anyone has a better suggestion? (Or a reason why I shouldn’t buy the above!)

1 Like

I would buy Samsung rather than Western Digital. Indeed I did buy Samsung.

Is the Samsung T7 ok?

Yes. Also the cheaper T5 is also good.

Hmhh, have you tried writing Naim-support with the question? (Before buying new hardware?)

In general USB sticks and USB “external drives” should be very similar, but Windows may treat them a bit differently in partitioning, actually. However, I agree, when the USB-access shows the content, partitioning/file system should not be a problem.

How many files do you have on the drive? Naim states, 20k files/tracks are supported. Maybe you have more, and the server mode runs out of memory to index them, or something like this?
Does anybody else have experience with this limit?
(I have my files on an older 0.5TB external USB mini-SSD; it’s more than 100GByte, but only about 10k tracks.)

With regard to file systems, I can assure, that NTFS and exFAT are working; the latter was added via firmware update 3.4. (And there’s this configuration management issue, that people writing release notes should tell the people on the product presentation web pages, to update the supported features every now and then. :wink: )
exFAT is nice in “modern” environments (e.g. Win10, recent macOS versions, …) since it’s supported cross-platform out of the box. (But not on old(er) platforms…)
I actually never noticed HFS before, though I’m using Macs - I should try it sometime.

PS: Don’t bother with FAT32, unless you have old equipment really needing it.

2 Likes

Any drive should work, SSD, spinning hard drive, memory stick or SD card. It’s not something you should need to agonise over or throw money at.

Hello everyone. I hope you all had a good Christmas.

Here is the updated situation: a 1tb Samsung T5 ssd arrived today. I have loaded most of my FLAC files onto it - and it has worked! I did it in stages. First a few files, then another chunk and so on. It now has the best part of 500gb of FLAC files on it - and it’s still working. It all appears as a server and all the artwork shows up as I had hoped. I think it is still processing as things like genre don’t work yet.

If everything looks good in the morning I shall add my ALAC files and I’ll be done. I have no explanation for why this has worked - but I am delighted that it has. Thank you all for your suggestions and support.

If anyone else is setting up a Nova (or Star or Atom) I am obviously no expert but I have now been through the process and will be glad to answer questions.

Happy new year.

1 Like

Ok - there IS one more thing… When I look at the list of artists in a few cases the wrong image has been assigned to the artist. For example Alanis Morrisette has been given an image of Adele. The albums themselves still have the correct images though. Is there any way of re-linking (if that’s a word!) the artist to a correct image?

I believe it’s possible to set artist artwork in DBpoweramp. Perhaps you need to edit the files there, although I don’t know if Naim kit is capable of viewing that particular metadata field as it’s pretty basic and in most cases this field is left blank.

Hi Chris. Virtually all my files were ripped using dbPoweramp and the metadata was set (correctly) there. The wrongly assigned images seem to have occurred during the setup process within the Nova. There are only a few so it isn’t terminal. But the ocd/nerd in me is slightly stressed by it! :wink: