Nova system flat sounding

Powerline Lite is only sold in UK (and other countries that use the same 13 amp square pin plug as UK). So in US it won’t be a Powerline Lite.

Well…my Nova came with the US version of a Powerline lite…correct Clare?

On the black cable there should be white arrow markings. I think the markings are only printed on one of two faces of the cable.

I think you will find it came with a normal Naim US market mains lead.

@dem1973

I have mains issues here and tried a “mains conditioning” powerestrip with a 300DR; it’s difficult to imagine or emphasise just HOW MUCH ability it robed form a brilliant power amp.

I now have a completely different DC blocker system with no line to neutral capacitors* (the specific problem I had was an asymmetric mains supply) and no conductors less than 2.5sq mm CSA, this sorted the problem out beautifully.

*. My experiments showed that, in my situation at least, this and the resistance of thin wires in the inductors were the components of the mains filtering circuit that caused most of the problems.

Must admit I find the Nova very good when streaming -a tad less capable when acting as a preamp.

Like your speakers I have downsized - the Nova is excellent value for money - but any weaknesses will be shown up ruthlessly by the power amp .

Is that not a Powerline lite? And that gets to my question: will the Powerline I ordered be as heavy or fat or good as one sold in the UK or elsewhere?

Powerline Lite is a standard mains cable with a special floating pin UK mains plug. If you Google it, you will find many places giving this information.

Powerline is a whole other thing and I expect the one you buy in the US will be equivalent to the one you would buy in UK.

Best

David

The NAP300DR would draw a lot of current. . .

Clare? Because I don’t know. “ Power-Line Lite has replaced the previous standard mains cable in all Uniti, Integrated Separates and Classic range products. We will continue to include our original high-end Power-Line mains cable with all 500 Series products and Statement.” So….? My Nova in the USA was supplied with?

FWIW, for units sold in Germany:

• The models that come with a Powerline Lite in the UK:
    When sold in Germany, they come with the original Powerline Lite UK (which is useless in Germany) and an additional power lead for German schuko sockets. I was told in another discussion that these leads are also selected from those that are available for the German market. However, they are still not PL Lites because PL Lite magic is in the UK plug: https://www.naimaudio.com/product/power-line-lite
  • The models that are sold with a full PowerLine in UK:
    When sold in Germany, they come with the full PowerLine but it has a Furutech schuko plug for Germany

Read the rest of the Naim web page:

Power-Line Lite has replaced the previous standard mains cable in all Uniti, Integrated Separates and Classic range products. We will continue to include our original high-end Power-Line mains cable with all 500 Series products and Statement.

You’ll be hearing more of your music than ever before.

• Power-Line Lite is only available in a UK plug denomination
1 Like

Naim used to supply US kit with the “Tibia” mains lead - very good it was too, and came about from tests done by the old NANA team. I don’t know what is currently supplied, maybe still a Tibia?

1 Like

lol…I dusted yesterday…it’s not as bad as it looks…and no…not touching any other wires.

1 Like

I am adding another dedicated outlet in another spot to get the Nova away from the heat there.

is the Powerline in the USA going to be a “thick” powerline, as I’ve seen mentioned, and also, will it be as difficult to plug into the rear of the unit? Or are the units sold in America different as far as the sockets on the rear?

The “full-fat” Powerline for the USA uses the same decoupled IEC as the one for the UK. Yes, it needs a hefty shove, but you do have to hold it in the right place - see FAQ here for more info;

1 Like

While I have your attn Richard, I have these feet or pads

under the Nova, they are shock pads for clothes dryers etc. I saw somewhere sorbothane wasn’t good to use. These pads I have are rubber…What do you think? I have there there primarily for space to provide ventilation.

I’m generally not a fan of Sorbothane under Naim kit - especially not the equipment with suspended innards. Naim do think about this, so some things can work against their efforts. Best thing is to try for yourself; if you think it makes no difference or a difference for the worse, then you’ll know…

1 Like

Well…there isn’t a negative effect on sound; I can stick my hand under to check the heat which is convenient. They are extremely dense, made for heavy weight. Therefore I don’t think the Nova is heavy enough to cause a problem. It will be a firm base for the Nova (is my theory anyway.) …and thank you.