Obscure British audio companies

Anybody mentioned EAR Yoshino ?

1 Like

Not that obscure I would say. Tim de Paravicini is quite a name in HiFi.

DNM, NVA and a few others mentioned in this thread I had never heard of.

Wilson Benesch?
Cyrus?
Music First?

They seem to be obscure here but that’s my system except for a streamer and a DAC

Wilson Benesch and Cyrus i would say both are reasonably well known, Music First , never heard of them

1 Like

n-lot, was I’m afraid, he passed a couple of years ago i think.

Indeed he did…

1 Like

These were from Densen. US company I believe.
The ads series and the Beat inter grated Amps

1 Like

Densen are Danish.

2 Likes

Yes, looked it up and apologies to Music First , very well established

Whoops

I thought I recognised the Pepperpot in your Avatar as the one above Blacking Chine.Lived there in 1986-87.

Damn spell Checker" Blackgang Chine "

I know it was mentioned early in this thread, but has anyone heard the NVA line of preamps/amps? I watched several positive videos on Youtube and it looks like an interesting line of electronics.

It is indeed, I’m a Caulkhead myself, family go back hundreds of years in the Niton area. I spent most of my formative years in Cowes usually on the water in one form or another.
I managed to escape to the Mainland many years ago!

Still a beauty.

JPW (Cabinets made in a prison?) - Well remembered. Wasn’t it Portland ?

I did not even know Lentek made amplifiers, I had a pair of their loudspakers at one point, and my brother had a Matsui amplifier. Interesting!?

What a coincidence, My brother in-law comes from Niton.
I have many fond memories of my time on the Island and after moving to the Gold Coast for a few years we are back in a small town in Southland New Zealand.

Small world isn’t it! I have family in New Zealand, haven’t managed to visit but would like to one day. The Island changes very little, one of it’s charms and I do get to go back to visit frequently, it’s only a few hours away.

1 Like

Yes it is.

I had a few Onix units over the years, the OA-21s, OA20/2, and the OA-60, might not have been all that uncommon, but I think the SOAP power supply was. The shoe boxed sized units sounded amazing, the only issue I had with both of them was that over time the source selector knob got loose and I could never find the correct sized Allen wrench to repair it. The OA-60 was a nice sounding dual mono 60 wpc unit but I sonically, I thought the other units were far superior

2 Likes

I have only recently caught up with this topic and it has been a fascinating journey down memory lane.

A few months ago I helped a friend clear a relatives house and came across a long neglected HIFi system, the record deck was a Sony and the amp a NAD 3020. But the speakers were unknown to me, the manufacturer was “Reference Products” based in Botley Oxford. The system was purchased in 1981 from the long departed “Erricks” in Bradford (a former Naim and Linn dealer).

Sadly, I did not get a photo of the speakers before they were put into the skip! But did salvage the user instruction card with the company logo and some info on the rather attractive Z shaped stands.

I would love to know if anyone has any knowledge of “ Reference Products”?