OC 250DR Finally on its way

Perhaps this is why Naim swapped to bigger boxes…?

Looking at the Naim packaging there is a reasonable amount of room around the packaged unit, crumple zones if you like and I’m sure this has saved a lot of equipment from damage during transit.
When I opened the box the damage to the corner of the box was well clear of any part of the metal work, its still not nice to see a package arrive damaged definitely raises the heart rate a little but thankfully most times now we should be fine.

I had a cross over repair carried out by PMC and on their return pretty well all of the heavy coils had broken free from the main board, so guessing it had received some form of serious impact damage but no damage at all to the packaging, small heavy box easily to through it about, luckily a hot glue gun and some new cable ties sorted everything.

I do feel for anyone that suffers from the dreaded packaging failure/mishandling of their prized gear, not good.

1 Like

Welcome to the 250 owners club enjoy !!!

2 Likes

Over the years I’ve owned several 250s if memory serves 1x CB, 2x Olive, 2x Classic DR, I keep returning to the 250 even after owning a 300 and 500 in-between.
The 250 communicates like no other amp I’ve owned, with the right speakers the 250 has it all as long as the pre and source are top notch.

6 Likes

Hi HiFiman thanks for your post looks like you have pretty much covered all the bases regarding Naim power amps, a very impressive history.
Really looking forward to spending more time with the 250, even after only a short listening session things are sounding very promising.

3 Likes

We used to test our packaging by boxing up the heaviest unit & throwing it down the stairs.
Would raise a few health & safety eye brows these days no doubt.
I imagine we use more scientific methods now.

Regards
Neil.

17 Likes

DHL ?

11 Likes

You’ll be very happy with the 250DR. CONGRATULATIONS!
Now, start saving up for a 252 which ironically is an upgrade to the 282 despite Naim’s numbering “logic”.
More and more used 252DRs are showing up out there. That, with your new 250 will make amazing music. Mark

3 Likes

Many thanks Mark, the trouble with a 252 means I would also need a supercap and even with the way current s/h prices are it is still a large outlay when having to purchase both but definitely something to dream about😉.

Feels like I have entered a different level now with the 282/250 and really looking forward to the next few months with the 250 in place.

3 Likes

You throw down a Statement ?

Before Statement was a thing. Besides, the flight cases would have damaged the stairs!

Regards
Neil.

5 Likes

When I tried a 250 instead of my 200 I couldn’t cope with it, the bass on my Contour 1.8s went from controlled and defined to all over the place but then tried the DR, complete game changer, all the bass but deeper and masses more resolution in the middle. Brilliant amp. Enjoy :grin:

3 Likes

I had an opportunity to sit and listen properly for the first time yesterday.
The combination of 250 with the PMC’s is definitely much happier, the flow of the music seems to be effortless, bass is better controlled especially regarding the lower octave, the dynamics seem fast but unhurried if that makes any sense, generally the speakers sound like they have gone up a gear.
Hopefully I will get another opportunity today for a further listen, at the moment I haven’t pushed the 250 thought I would give it a short while to bed in to my system but from the first listening session it’s pretty clear that the benefits it brings are what I had hoped for.
I can only imagine what some of the systems of members of the forum must sound like, 300dr’s, 500 and all the higher level preamps must be amazing.
It really feels like this last piece has brought everything together to form a harmonious system.
Very happy plus I’m sure there is more to come as I listen further, really pleased so far.

1 Like

That’s exactly our experience having had the same speakers on the end of a SuperUniti, 250DR and now 300DR.

Each amplification level gains better control over the speakers, tighter bass, faster delivery.

2 Likes

A 300dr was originally on my list but I decided to split my funds and purchase an ndac to try and improve the front end, I’m trying to balance everything moving forward which isn’t always easy.
Another added bonus seems to be the lack of a long warm up, the 250 just works from start up or if there is a warm up phase it is very slight.
Next step will be to add an xps to the ndac hopefully that will be me sorted apart from minor cable tweeks, well that’s the plan.
Looking at your setup that’s something I would love to reach but realistically I think we are probably as far as we can go but never say never who knows what may happen in the future but at the moment I’m just enjoying the system.

4 Likes

Nice thread. Just read and caught up with you. ( Looks like you’ve been busy over the past month )
Thanks for sharing the journey with your “new to you” NAP 250 DR.

A 250 between your 282 and PMC’s is a really nice step.
Congrats.

Hey @silverback, in recent weeks, feels like we’ve both arrived at a similar outcome…
That’s pretty much an end game and balanced system we were wishing for.
Or at least, for now :rofl:
With maybe one addition - a future wish - for a PSU on the nDAC :wink:

How about a pic ?

Enjoy the music.
Happy listening.
R

many thanks for the kind words, added a pic just to give an image of where we are at the moment.
Not totally sure ps wise, after doing some research it seems the earlier xps 2 seems to be the psu of choice to partner with the ndac but their prices seem to have risen recently and when you factor in the cost of a service due to their age I wonder if a xps dr maybe a better move, will give it some more thought before deciding one way or the other.
I still want to stick with the plan of improving the electrics before thinking of a speaker change, at the moment I’m really happy with how the system sounds so may refrain from any further steps for awhile, cheers.

5 Likes

:star_struck:

All makes sense :+1:
Same here, just going to listen to a lot of music now.
( The odd glass of wine :wine_glass: might be involved).

Hope you’re having fun listening to all your favourites ?

Enjoy
R

2 Likes

I agree since I got the ndac music just sounds too good.

3 Likes