Ok, is left right and right left

:small_blue_diamond:Richard,…Love This Statement :wink::grin:,and I agree with you.

/Peder🙂

The direction that water flows down the plug hole is usually determined by the shape of it. Nothing to do with the urban legend of what hemisphere your in. That’s like saying most Australians are Homosexual. :laughing::laughing::laughing:

1 Like

If you are really worried about the wires crossing, and must have the amplifier between the speakers, just install it upside down.

5 Likes

Ah, the legendary 052 amp.

3 Likes

You can get test LPs, CDs and downloadable files that amongst other things identify left and right, that will give certainty whether the question is the orientation of amps, or the connections between any or all components. Otherwise you could use a music disc if known orientation, e.g. Deep Purple’s Made in Japan, which oddly has Richie Blackmore’s guitar on the left and John Lord’s organ on the right, presenting the orientation as experienced by the band, not the audience at a live gig!

1 Like

Or just use the balance control on those pre-amps which have it to test that the channel’s are set correctly…

If you don’t have a balance control on your pre-amp, you can use the balance control in the Naim app. if you are using.

Oi you…we are on the forum too you know :slight_smile:

2 Likes

It’s easy to get caught out even when you know about it, it took me over a month to determine my BNC plugs were the wrong way round on my phono stage after the last Fraim rebuild. I struggle to fold myself into a position where I can see the back of my clean stack these days and It wasn’t until I played the same track upon getting home that I’d just heard on an Audionote system at my dealers that I found my mistake, and then only after I’d e-mailed him to suggest he check his setup.

Sorry been off the air for a few days, thank you for all the responses (well most anyway). Think I now have it sorted, see below.

Also interested in why the components shouldn’t be between the speakers. Most people I know do, most of the photos of the journalist systems (see frenchroosters’ thread) seem to as well.

But are they when looking to the right? Or is right right when situated to the left of centre?

6 Likes

Software written in India according to specs.

Regardless of whether the amp is between the speakers, or not, the speaker leads will be crossed (unless you like looking at the back of the amp). I nearly always forget, if moving a system to a different location, until I realise the balance control is working backwards.
I have always found this frustrating, and frankly a bit mad on Naim’s part.

My 250 is on the right of the speakers so both cables go left. No crossing at all.

I often have that moment, confusing my left to right. I blame it on the English language - useful for telling others what to do - but silly when using it to think things through…

I have the same layout, and consider the left cable to be crossing the right. However, I can see that, if there was plenty of room, the left cable could run behind the right. It still makes no sense a all to place the left output on the right of the amp.

The reason was mainly historical; the earliest Naim amp, the NAP200 (nee 250), was professional power amp and so followed pro layout where the amp would usually be positioned facing rear-out for easy connection and disconnection. Also, Julian claimed he was never good with his left and right, hence why he preferred channel 1 (left) and channel 2 (right).

Naim did get it the other way around quite by accident on the first examples of the NAIT 2 (thanks to a PCB error), and I note that with the latest Unitis the loudspeaker output sockets are also the right/wrong way around.

unless you’re upsidedown

or looking in a mirror