Ok, is left right and right left

Thanks Richard.
So as I was saying, it makes no sense at all :wink:

Most people have the mental capacity to read Ch 1 left and Ch 2 right and act accordingly. Or perhaps not.

My thread was a little tongue in cheek, however apparently having the same issues as Julian (dyslexic) these things sometimes do my head in. On a more serious note I’m now more interested why it’s not a good idea to have your gear in between the speakers. Looking thru some of the others threads it’s not completely uncommon. Lots of photos in hi hi mags also show the electronics in the middle.

Pete, it’s not too important to understand why it sound best with nothing or almost nothing between the speakers. Many people here can go to great lengths trying to explain their theories. It is much simpler to just try it! :wink:

2 Likes

Will do but I will need to invest in longer speaker cables before I can do that, which it’s self leads to more questions. It’s never ending, sometimes I think we spend too much time listening to our equipment than we do the music.

2 Likes

Pete, within the context of a Naim system, there are some good reasons for not having the system between the speakers. Firstly, many speakers used with Naim (including many of Naim’s own speakers) are boundary types, designed for placement close up to the back wall. With this arrangement it’s best not to have anything large in between the two speakers. Secondly, a rack placed in the area between the two speakers can potentially pick up unwanted energy from the speakers. Thirdly, Naim systems are designed on the principle of relatively short interconnects and long speaker cables, the latter in particular lending itself to placement of the electronics well away from the speakers. Fourthly, and I know this is more of a personal preference, but I prefer not to have the visual distraction of looking at the system when I’m listening to music.

Of course, this is the ideal, but I realise that we all have to live a life of compromises, so if there’s no other place suitable but between the speakers, then so be it. It won’t be the end of the world by any means.

2 Likes

:small_blue_diamond::grin::joy::grin::joy::grin: Just love that comment.

/Peder🙂

I’ll invest in more speaker cable and give it a go, cheers.

Maybe, but others here have posted that they have dyslexia and struggle with this. My own daughter has a learning disability. Not everyone has the mental capacity of a genius. Or perhaps not.

1 Like

:small_blue_diamond:Mike_S,…I meant nothing bad about my post.
I just saw Hungryhalibut’s comments as a bit funny in its simplicity.

:black_small_square:Is there anyone you should be annoyed about,so it is in that case Hungryhalibut who wrote the commenter or how.

I can not answer for Hungryhalibut.
But excuse me,if you took offense for my post.

/Peder🙂

1 Like

Yes, okay, thanks. I’m sure HH meant no malice either.

1 Like

The [quote=“Adam.Meredith, post:54, topic:1876”]
how would you advise these sockets (trivial though this example is) be labelled to overcome all such difficulties?
[/quote]

Arrows would probably help. I had to ask my dealer whether left and right was looking from the source (as on stage left and stage right), or towards the speakers (which is the hi-fi convention). So, if musicians convention is different to hi-fi, it hardly makes us idiots for being confused.

This left/right confusion is easily sorted by labelling the connections Ch1 & Ch2.

I’m not sure how arrows are going to help :confused:

I suppose you could put a simple diagram or “left facing”, “right facing”.

When my dealer installed my SN2, he didn’t even look at labels, he plugged them in, tested the balance, then swapped them.

With Naim speaker cable terminals you cannot go wrong if you insert the side of the terminal with one dot on the red connector.

Like this?

1 Like

Not really, because from that view left is labeled to the left, when it’s left facing the front of the unit where the right plug is labelled right. Easily fixed with the wording “left (facing the unit)”.

How would that work if the unit sits on the back wall?

It just seems so obvious to me. When looking at the speakers the one on the left is the left. Just wire it to the socket that says left. It’s hardly rocket science. Anyone who cannot cope with that for whatever reason can always ask their dealer for help.

2 Likes

It’s never been obvious to me. Probably because I learnt from performed music it was stage left and stage right facing the audience.