Old HiFi Advertising

Earth, Wind & Fire plus big old early '80s ghetto blasters seem to belong together, really.

6 Likes

A terrible calumny on Mr Moon. He always seemed like a nice, quiet boy:

9 Likes

Ha! Beat to it with posting that one. It feels like an awful lot of money back in those days too

1 Like

Yep remember the Maxell tape adverts have you seen the price of blank cassettes now :astonished:

1 Like

I remember being told if I didn’t use Naim speaker wire and interconnects it could blow up

Are you perhaps thinking of Bod who used to do cartoons for Hifi News & Record Review as well as for Acoustical Quad?

One of my favourites here, and of course this one very much with a Naim theme to it…

[/quote]

Can anyone date this clipping?

3 Likes

This for me, was a masterpiece of marketing.

There’s another version (Into the Valley - The Skids) but I prefer this one.

5 Likes

“Me ears are alight”. Brilliant, I’d forgotten that one.

1 Like

I think of got some back issues of Hifi For Pleasure with this little ad inside.

I bought it for a few pounds to frame and put above my CB kit. I’m guessing early 80’s?

I’d like to find a few more like it from the CB era.

No it’s more like mid '70s

Oooh even better thanks

The reverse

1 Like

That would likely date it to late '70s - '78 or '79.

1 Like

Would it help if this thread was moved to the Padded Cell? - content there could also be deemed a little less than ‘modern’ or appropriate to contemporary mores…

I did consider putting it in Padded Cell but it was intended for old hifi advertising. :thinking:
I’m quite happy not to see any sexist stuff as I thought it was cringeworthy at the time, and I’m pretty much unreconstructed :grinning:

2 Likes

Thanks for the reminder to change that terrible name.

1 Like

This is getting far too PC :roll_eyes:

4 Likes

1 Like

I forgot to mention that these adverts had a not-so-subtle nod to Dylan’s Subterranean Homesick Blues video.

Extra bonus points, in my view.