Old skool ravers thread

Shout out to the old skool ravers. Let’s take a trip down memory lane :face_with_spiral_eyes:

5 Likes
1 Like

@Dan_M is one. I’m sure there’s more of us here :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

There’s an excellent Facebook group called The Old Skool Ravers Retirement Home

Among others.

2 Likes

I left FB years ago but it sounds like somewhere I might belong :joy:

1 Like

So Stu, maybe organise a rave to unite Naim forum ravers!

3 Likes

I am one best memories going to Raves and Club nights in 1991 to 1993.
I lost interest in the scene around 1994 as it had got more commercial and mainstream
Always such great nights with everything running on E.
I never ever saw any fights just love and harmony united by the music
Fantastic sound systems and visuals with smoke and lasers
Carl Cox - DJ Seduction - Colin Dale - Luke Slater - Slipmatt And Lime - Sasha - Grooverider
Todd Terry - Kevin Saunderson …Legends .
Garage or Hardcore I loved it all and still got 300 - 12" singles loads of imports and classics like Energy Flash by Joey Beltram and DJ s Take Control by Sl2

6 Likes

?
Alice Cooper’s School’s out?

2 Likes

Nice! Yeah I’m with you. 91-93 was the sweet spot.

I mainly did the free parties. Spiral Tribe, Bedlam and Exodus. There were some amazing clubs as well. Milwaukee in Bedford was one. A cosy little club doing all nighters with all the big DJ’s of the time. There was a bench right behind the DJ’s and I sat there a few times watching the likes of Carl Cox, Top Buzz and many others within touching distance. Good times :sunglasses:

3 Likes

:+1:

Probably 89 to 91 for me but worked in a top bar at the time until 95 and was best friends with the DJ. Managed to get great classic 12” mixes at that time at ½ price :grin:

Did Ibiza 3 times. Manumission, Cream, etc… cafe del mar, fond memories indeed.

My earliest years was Friday night in Mansfield. I forget the name of the venue but it was rammed every time. Great music too, dancing and friends made.

5 Likes

I was going to rave parties in the 90’s, dancing all night. I remember Pacman, Manu le Malin or Laurent Garnier as my favourite djs. It was something, the places, known only on the last moments, were sometimes incredible.
The most incredible was « Arènes de Nîmes « . Then the following was in mountains, with 3 hours walk to join it.
But no more interested by that since nearly 30 years. However very good memories.

5 Likes

89 to 92.
You can not forget how popular being a raver was as a counter cultural movement back then.
It seemed to bring things/people together with the positives and taking out some negatives that was prevalent at the time.
Every one wanted overnight to be a raver, apart from @Innocent_Bystander who was listening to his prog rock :innocent:

3 Likes

1989-2005(ish)

Hazy on the '89 … i went to The Astoria on Charring X rd first i think ?
Best night … Sasha/Digweed mid 90’s :clown_face:

2 Likes

I might be in a minority here, but i thought the music peaked mid to late 90’s, rather than earlier. Probably why I kept going for a long old while?

3 Likes

Toby dont know if you have seen this excellent video about Sterns in Worthing
A great venue off the beaten track in an old stately home on 3 floors playing garage and in the basement or as it was known the underground hardcore
Had many Saturday nights there …what a place loads of people from London and Brighton and top DJs

2 Likes

Blimey. 35 years ago.

1 Like

Plus some good goth bands in Newcastle upon Tyne where I was living at that time!

1 Like

I’m rather enjoying Peggy Gou on iPlayer at the mo … oh, to be 21 again!

1 Like

I was a fan too, thanks to John Peel playing them.
He got onto the acid house thing early, Phuture and others '87/88.

1 Like